~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

57 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From the Yale School of Medicine regarding Novavax:

Assuming that Delta is or will be the dominant strain in the developing world as well, then Novavax's manufacturing woes could very well either make it irrelevant (due to significantly reduced efficacy against Delta) or be a blessing in disguise (the vaccine could be modified in the interim to make it significantly more effective against Delta).

Dont forget that the whole reason why Novavax is relevant in the first place is because they have a breakthrough flu vaccine candidate. Should COVID become a yearly thing and they actually fix their bullshit, there is a very good chance that their flu/COVID shot combo will be the definitive one we take moving forward.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From the Yale School of Medicine regarding Novavax:

Assuming that Delta is or will be the dominant strain in the developing world as well, then Novavax's manufacturing woes could very well either make it irrelevant (due to significantly reduced efficacy against Delta) or be a blessing in disguise (the vaccine could be modified in the interim to make it significantly more effective against Delta).

I would bet that Delta isn’t different enough to make their vaccine irrelevant. We have seen that with other vaccines which are still highly effective against it. The drop in efficacy we are seeing is a combination of factors, but so far no one has had to change formulations to my knowledge (I’m open to correction). 

211021050140-01-pfizer-vaccine-vial-need
WWW.CNN.COM

A booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine was found to have a high efficacy -- 95.6% -- against Covid-19 in a Phase 3 trial, the companies announced on Thursday. They noted that "efficacy was consistent irrespective of age, sex, race, ethnicity or comorbid conditions."

A booster dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech coronavirus vaccine was found to have a high efficacy -- 95.6% -- against Covid-19 in a Phase 3 trial, the companies announced on Thursday. They noted that "efficacy was consistent irrespective of age, sex, race, ethnicity or comorbid conditions."

The trial included more than 10,000 fully vaccinated people, age 16 and older, who randomly received either the 30-microgram booster dose of vaccine or a placebo. The median time between completing their initial second dose of vaccine and receiving a booster or placebo was about 11 months, the companies said.

Pfizer and BioNTech reported that during the study, there were 109 Covid-19 cases among people who received a placebo and five cases among those who received the third dose of vaccine. The companies noted that the vaccine efficacy they found, of 95.6%, reflects that reduction of disease among those who received a booster shot versus those who did not.

These are the first results from a randomized, controlled Covid-19 vaccine booster trial, the companies said, and they reflect a period when the highly contagious Delta variant was prevalent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Those aren't really total deaths.  They're "Line of Duty Deaths" -- and they have made the decision to include all/most police who died of COVID as LODD.

Given that Cops deal with the public regularly I would say that most Covid outbreaks in Police precincts ARE a result of their work.  Every Cop that I know has had Covid and one in particular got it TWICE. However they got it, Cops get it at a higher rate than the rest of the population and because of their job, they are exposed to it more than regular folks. The numbers don't lie.

So I think it's probably allergies, especially since I woke up in the middle of the night a couple of nights ago with my eyes burning a little bit (my optometrist said that's allergies), but I decided to get a COVID test just now because I woke up last night with my head feeling like one of those balloon head things they do in allergy med commercials, plus I'm hacking up phlegm, which I haven't done in years. There's still way too much friction on getting a COVID test. It seems like pretty much everything requires appointments still. 

I was able to get one immediately but it's still the same bullshit of having to check each provider separately. With Fulgent you have to put in a ton of information before they'll let you pick a location and see the available time slots. And Fulgent doesn't let you create an account that stores your info, you have to enter it from scratch each time. A lot of people just aren't going to bother when it involves this much legwork just to get an appointment. 

12 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Given that Cops deal with the public regularly I would say that most Covid outbreaks in Police precincts ARE a result of their work.  Every Cop that I know has had Covid and one in particular got it TWICE. However they got it, Cops get it at a higher rate than the rest of the population and because of their job, they are exposed to it more than regular folks. The numbers don't lie.

The types of interactions police typically have throughout the work day with the public are not the types generally leading to infections. The more likely answer is a bunch of Chuds who don’t take the virus seriously spending time at the precinct, riding in cars together, at each other’s home, going to social functions together, is a recipe for outbreaks.

I am also not seeing anything that suggests police officers are particularly more likely than their generic peers to become infected. Have you seen data that shows this?

6 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I want to get some pharma logo hats and choose like I’m picking which football scholarship to sign. 

“I’m taking my talents to J&J”

So this year the flu shots (provided by government) are being held in my city at a convention centre. Basically just hundreds of chairs and a few dozen portable stations that nurses wheel around. Anyway, while my wife and I were getting our shots, the nurse accessed my wife's records and noticed she'd had a mixed-dose schedule (first Pfizer, second Moderna). She said my wife should get the third shot (Moderna) so that she has two of the same, which is required by some countries for entry. My wife mentioned she didn't want to take advantage of a "booster" out of order, and we had no intention of traveling. The nurse leaned and said something like "I don't care, and no one else in healthcare does. If you can get a third shot, take it, it reduces the chance of spread and helps us all." So that convinced my wife, and she's getting a third shot now (which I am happy about).

My province is also starting boosters on Monday for everyone over 65 (as well as immunocompromised, etc). I expect they will lower the age requirement over a period of months. Effectively, provinces in Canada are now just doing whatever they want. Health Canada last year kind of said "we provide guidelines on what we think is safe, but legally each province can do what it wants, approve whatever it wants." It was in result to some places being hesitant to allow younger people to get AstraZeneca shots after the blood clotting risk came out. But now they are using it do bend the rules to get more people vaccinated (and as fully protected as possible). So that means third doses, or second doses (but third in total) of the type you got second, etc. In my province they are even allowing 11-year-olds to get shots as long as they turn 12 in the calendar year.

Overall I am happy with that.

• Like 1

_121172389_gettyimages-1232452071.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

The global health body says healthcare workers should be prioritised for vaccination.

Covid has severely affected healthcare staff and may have killed between 80,000 and 180,000, the World Health Organization (WHO) says.

Healthcare workers must be prioritised for vaccines, WHO head Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said, and he criticised unfairness in the distribution of jabs.

The deaths occurred between January 2020 and May of this year.

• Sad 2