~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The problem is he isn’t really wrong about what decision makes sense for him given risk factors. The end result of his infection was 3 crummy days, which is a reasonable expectation given his individual risk profil

One of the other parts of the story I worked on last night concerned the ex-university of Alabama football player who was anti-vax and got Covid. Only 36 years old and in above average shape and he spent 39 days on a ventilator and flat lined once, dying for 4 minutes before. he was defribed back to life. He has since become a vaccine advocate.

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THIS DISEASE WILL AFFECT YOU, PERIOD FULL STOP. The potential risks posed by the vaccine are miniscule in comparison to contracting Covid, but a lot of vaccine hesitant people make it seem like they are equally risky. It's complete and utter non-sense and should be treated as such. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

One of the other parts of the story I worked on last night concerned the ex-university of Alabama football player who was anti-vax and got Covid. Only 36 years old and in above average shape and he spent 39 days on a ventilator and flat lined once, dying for 4 minutes before. he was defribed back to life. He has since become a vaccine advocate.

YOU DON'T KNOW HOW THIS DISEASE WILL AFFECT YOU, PERIOD FULL STOP. The potential risks posed by the vaccine are miniscule in comparison to contracting Covid, but a lot of vaccine hesitant people make it seem like they are equally risky. It's complete and utter non-sense and should be treated as such. 

That isn’t how risk assessment works in any other scenario. We don’t not drive because some people do end up dead. We don’t not live in a place with stairs because some people die falling down the stairs. The odds of an actually healthy person (not some of these morbidly obese “I’m healthy” types) in the 30s or early 40s having a serious case are incredibly low, that is just a fact.

The risk of the vaccine doesn’t even have to be considered, just the risk of the disease. His 3 crummy days is by far the most likely outcome for his risk factors. But that really has nothing to do with why we should participate in the mass vaccination campaign.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

That isn’t how risk assessment works in any other scenario. We don’t not drive because some people do end up dead. We don’t not live in a place with stairs because some people die falling down the stairs. The odds of an actually healthy person (not some of these morbidly obese “I’m healthy” types) in the 30s or early 40s having a serious case are incredibly low, that is just a fact.

The risk of the vaccine doesn’t even have to be considered, just the risk of the disease. His 3 crummy days is by far the most likely outcome for his risk factors. But that really has nothing to do with why we should participate in the mass vaccination campaign.

Also in what other situation are we generally ok with someone making their own diagnosis of health? Are you monitoring your blood pressure regularly? Your blood sugar? 

Would anyone not take a doctor's advice on how to avoid heart disease or other serious cardiovascular diseases if they are in prehypertension? Or how to keep blood sugar in check if prediabetic? I know this is just asking a lot of loaded questions but the basic point remains: under what conditions are you ok with no listening to generally a doctor or even your doctor?

1)  The negative impacts of vaccination are close to zero for most people.

2)  The most likely impact of catching Covid is nothing.  HOWEVER, there is a non-zero chance of serious consequences (up to death).  I spent 80 dollars on smoke detectors last year, and hundreds to put safety equipment into my car -- even though I also have a very low possibility of dying from a fire/car crash.

2)  Most people should also want to reduce the opportunity to be a transmission vector to their family/friends/co-workers/etc.

There is all kinds shit in life that are "low risk" but we still take safety precautions because the potential is catastrophic. 

Yeah I drive but I also wear a seat belt. I ride my bike with a helmet and full visibility gear. I make sure all my vaccinations are up to date. I work out and watch my weight. You deal with many low risk activities in life which cumulatively and over a long period of time increase your odds of something bad happen. Part of not being a moron is to reduce your risk on all fronts. I'm willing to be Commodore D doesn't take basic safety precautions in all aspect of his life.

My niece right now is in the hospital for tetanus; no tetanus shot. Very rare but it was stupid for her not to get the shot.

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Also in what other situation are we generally ok with someone making their own diagnosis of health? Are you monitoring your blood pressure regularly? Your blood sugar? 

Would anyone not take a doctor's advice on how to avoid heart disease or other serious cardiovascular diseases if they are in prehypertension? Or how to keep blood sugar in check if prediabetic? I know this is just asking a lot of loaded questions but the basic point remains: under what conditions are you ok with no listening to generally a doctor or even your doctor?

I actually wear a continuous glucose monitor to monitor my blood sugar in real-ish time :p 

For 20 years I had multiple doctors tell me I was type 1 diabetic and had me take insulin. Then I switched to a new doc and he asked me a million questions and ultimately figured out I had something else called MODY and took me off insulin all together.

The truth is a lot of doctoring is just making educated guesses. Hopefully the education is good!

But those pre-hypertension and pre-diabetic diagnoses reveal dramatic increases in the probability of severe negative health outcomes. If they didn’t, it wouldn’t really matter.

The key difference here is that personal negative outcomes are not the only issue when it comes to communicable disease, which is why risk profiles for individuals are largely irrelevant to the question of who should get vaccinated.

I actually wear a continuous glucose monitor to monitor my blood sugar in real-ish time :p 

For 20 years I had multiple doctors tell me I was type 1 diabetic and had me take insulin. Then I switched to a new doc and he asked me a million questions and ultimately figured out I had something else called MODY and took me off insulin all together.

The truth is a lot of doctoring is just making educated guesses. Hopefully the education is good!

But those pre-hypertension and pre-diabetic diagnoses reveal dramatic increases in the probability of severe negative health outcomes. If they didn’t, it wouldn’t really matter.

The key difference here is that personal negative outcomes are not the only issue when it comes to communicable disease, which is why risk profiles for individuals are largely irrelevant to the question of who should get vaccinated.

I mean it's different if you're taking about diseases of lifestyle than type 1.

For a lot of these people who aren't vaccinated they don't care about the vaccination because most people they know "chose" to get vaccinated or are "low risk" like they are. Personal negative outcomes seem to be the only thing they can wrap their head around but they've largely decided that it won't be them that is negatively effected

On 10/2/2021 at 3:12 PM, sblfilms said:

The problem is he isn’t really wrong about what decision makes sense for him given risk factors. The end result of his infection was 3 crummy days, which is a reasonable expectation given his individual risk profile.

But communicable disease management is about more than individual risk management, and the danger he presented to his community when he was pre-symptomatic either don’t concern him or he doesn’t understand it. Neither are particularly great.

Yeah he kept saying there was no benefit for the greater good in getting vaxxed lol. I'm not sure why everyone was engaging Commodore on his own terms and missing opportunities to zero in on his bad faith questions and disabuse them of ignorance sooner (someone would link stats, he would then selectively ignore stuff in those links and follow up with bad faith questions to derail, several users would take the bait instead of tightening the vice grip to force him to only engage the data, etc). 

Is it ever practical to assume someone so deeply entrenched in batshit logic can be reasoned with instead of being immediately debunked and exposed asap?

It might be worth talking it out w/ them if you have a formal education in psychology, but beyond that I feel like maximum effectiveness in this strategy is optimal, if only to prevent them from taking up so much time. As the previous nine pages of this thread show, even obvious trolls can be good at derailing shit far more than what needs to occur. 

Everyone hits and misses at this of course - even streamers who use their words to fight bad ideas for a living - but at the end of the day it's a skillset that’ll be increasingly necessary in our lifetimes as long as cult mentality continues to spread. 

5 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Yeah he kept saying there was no benefit for the greater good in getting vaxxed lol. I'm not sure why everyone was engaging Commodore on his own terms and missing opportunities to zero in on his bad faith questions

1. Essentially my entire line of discourse with him was exactly about that point, so I am well aware :p

2. The assumption that he is arguing in bad faith as opposed to just being wrong is not an assumption I hold. The crux of his position was his individual risk, and most of the engagement of the board was about rebuffing that point…which they would be wrong about.

Even my dear @SuperSpreaderjust now errantly suggested that @Commodore Dis at some high risk of dying from Covid when data would strongly point toward him having a very low risk of such an outcome.

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

1. Essentially my entire line of discourse with him was exactly about that point, so I am well aware :p

2. The assumption that he is arguing in bad faith as opposed to just being wrong is not an assumption I hold. The crux of his position was his individual risk, and most of the engagement of the board was about rebuffing that point…which they would be wrong about.

Even my dear @SuperSpreaderjust now errantly suggested that @Commodore Dis at some high risk of dying from Covid when data would strongly point toward him having a very low risk of such an outcome.

No one is at high risk of dying. COVID’s mortality and hospitalization rates are fairly low when compared to historical pandemics. 

14 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I mean he also kept denying he was a danger to anyone by being anti-vaxx (and even denied he was anti-vaxx at one point lol), though he argued from an individual risk standpoint as well, sure... in addition to evading the evidence, bringing up stuff like obesity rates, "the numbers", claiming shots might not work, etc in an effort to continuously push things off the rails and make everything as debatey as possible.

The reason I'm hesitant to say he's only delusional and not bad faith is he seemed strategic in a lot of those arguments when you go back and review them. It got to a point where any time someone responded to him or asked him to explain, he had a retort ready to keep it going forever. 

I'm not a world class troll fighter yet or qualified to diagnose someone, but the whole ordeal definitely strengthened my view that effectiveness in dealing with haters is important and can be more difficult than we expect. It's a skill that could always use refinement imo, and those nine or so pages ITT is one of countless increasingly occuring examples that proves it. 

19 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

I'm not a world class troll fighter yet or qualified to diagnose someone or anything, but the whole ordeal definitely strengthened my view that effectiveness in dealing with haters is important and can be more difficult than we expect. It's a skill that could always use refinement imo, and those nine or so pages ITT proves it.

Solution: Hey man if you kill more people like you I'm cool with that, bless your heart fucker.

What do you think you're gonna do? Convince them? 

So my friend I who's co worker died that I talked about a couple of pages back went to the funeral yesterday. He's still messed up a little about it because he keeps going on about the last conversation they had was about the vaccines and how if this guy would have gotten vaccinated, he would still be here. Now the guy is dead and his family is without a father and husband :|

Apparently, his wife who was also vaccine hesitant has since been vaccinated. So i guess there's a plus to all of this.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

So my friend I who's co worker died that I talked about a couple of pages back went to the funeral yesterday. He's still messed up a little about it because he keeps going on about the last conversation they had was about the vaccines and how if this guy would have gotten vaccinated, he would still be here. Now the guy is dead and his family is without a father and husband :|

Apparently, his wife who was also vaccine hesitant has since been vaccinated. So i guess there's a plus to all of this.

Life feeds on life. 

54 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This is a sad story but also sad because a lot of these types of people are the, "I have to find out it's real for myself" kind of people. But unlike something harmless like going up into space to see the earth is round these people take a gamble on a deadly disease. If only @sblfilms could reach his Christian hand out to all of them, god bless him!

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Our niece (whose family has cut us off because we won't let her see them if they are unvaccinated and won't wear masks) just told us that her dad got his first shot today. He did it because his work required it.

So...vaccine mandates work, more than anything else, even appeals by family.

They definitely do... another thing that was covered in the story I worked on the other night. I think Governor Newsome touched on it with the health care workers. Once the mandates went in place, like 90% are now vaccinated.

Why would I hate Keyser? I just said curse you cuz he said to read the past few pages of this thread to Chris. So I read them and I blamed him for putting this evil on me. We even had a baby together. Bacon_Soze was its name. Dyed when it was just a kid. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Why would I hate Keyser? I just said curse you cuz he said to read the past few pages of this thread to Chris. So I read them and I blamed him for putting this evil on me. We even had a baby together. Bacon_Soze was its name. Dyed when it was just a kid. 

rage GIF

• Haha 3