~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

My county commissioners voted last night to end community testing. You know in while the county is seeing it largest surge since Thanksgiving/Christmas. General consensus around town from people is "Well now the numbers will go down and we can get back to normal." Sky is blue, water is wet, rural conservatives are stupid.  

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

If there was a vaccine against food poisoning I'd be first in line. That shit is awful.

Definitely. I ate a bad burger at a restaurant once. My stomach wasn't the same for at least 2-3 months afterwards. Persistent irritable bowl problems and I couldn't keep weight on.  That was like 15 years ago and very thankful it hasn't happened since. 

48 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

According to data released by the security office of the DoD agency that I work for (DARPA), 91% of our personnel are fully vaccinated and 2% are partially vaccinated.

Are you guys building up a list on how to purge the remaining 7% or just hoping they purge themselves instead? :thinking:

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:
3303.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

Vote is a potentially significant blow to the Biden administration after it announced a plan to ‘boost’ adults

From everything I’ve read, this seems to be the correct call as of now.

The problem to me though is I don’t think the wealthy nations will do the right moral, ethical, and logical step of massively increasing supply to the developing world, which is the real threat to the health and safety of fully vaccinated people in wealthy nations. 

Soooo, it kinda doesn’t matter.

My company delayed our 1-2 days a week in office from original 7/1, to 8/1, to 9/7, to now likely not until 1/1 (i.e. could be even longer) and will now require vaccinations in order to be on-site.

CEO mentioned federal response and other companies for reasoning. Glad they're doing it, but one negative is that it could actually encourage people to not vaccinate so they can continue working from home.

Had a weird conversation after kickball tonight. 28 year guy wasn’t getting vaccinated because his grand parents died 2 weeks after getting vaccinated.

They died of Covid.

There is a huge swath of the adult

population that aren’t Trumpers and think this way due to bad analysis of personal anecdotes like that. Really sad.

8 minutes ago, Eggman76 said:

He seems to make good points, but kinda random since the wave of that Joe Rogan Covid story has kinda subsided, no?  

No doubt, I would've posted it back when everyone was talking about it but it was uploaded several days later and I first noticed it today. I think it's decent enough closure to that topic and is insightful with the points about widespread misinformation going on now, so though it might be worth sharing.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Had a weird conversation after kickball tonight. 28 year guy wasn’t getting vaccinated because his grand parents died 2 weeks after getting vaccinated.

They died of Covid.

There is a huge swath of the adult

population that aren’t Trumpers and think this way due to bad analysis of personal anecdotes like that. Really sad.

Yep 

On the plus side, I was able to talk my sister in law to get a shot/answered her questions so there's a W

• Like 1

10 hours ago, heydude93 said:

Remember when I told you that other dude you posted wasn’t worth listening to because of the whole calling Ivermectin horse dewormer thing and you were all like NOOOOOOO? Glad you have a better source this time.

2 hours ago, Jason said:
RHAF5RAW3YI6ZIAZZMMTWKFKOM.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

In June, the United States purchased 500 million vaccine doses to be distributed by Covax, the World Health Organization-backed initiative to share doses around the globe.

Damn dirty democrats! Using the vaccine to kill the people they want to replace us with! We, the people, will not stand for it!

On 9/17/2021 at 4:16 PM, Air_Delivery said:

I'm gonna still get my booster after 6 months.

I'm on the 6th month right now of Moderna, but I'll wait until their booster in released, presumably at the end of the month.  It just didn't seem worth it to attempt to go rogue, especially as I'd prefer to get my vaccine based on Moderna's timetable.

3 minutes ago, vaxick said:

I'm on the 6th month right now of Moderna, but I'll wait until their booster in released, presumably at the end of the month.  It just didn't seem worth it to attempt to go rogue, especially as I'd prefer to get my vaccine based on Moderna's timetable.

The FDA has only approved boosters for 65+ so I wouldn't expect a booster anytime soon if you are waiting to do it legitimately. 

3 hours ago, vaxick said:

3 hours ago, Air_Delivery said:

The FDA has only approved boosters for 65+ so I wouldn't expect a booster anytime soon if you are waiting to do it legitimately. 

If this is accurate, we ain't gettin' a Moderna booster anytime soon :p

388fea30daa15c751c0ce15aac860846
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine does a significantly better job of preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations compared with Pfizer's shot.

New research released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday shows that effectiveness of the Moderna vaccine is staying particularly strong.

Over the course of five months of research, from March to August, the effectiveness of all the vaccines at keeping people out of the hospital due to COVID among people without compromising conditions was highest for Moderna recipients, at 93%. Pfizer's effectiveness was overall 88% and Johnson & Johnson's was 71%.

Pfizer's effectiveness decreased after 120 days of the study period, from 91% to 77%, while Moderna's effectiveness did not see a similar decline. Initial effectiveness of 93% only declined to 92% with Moderna.

"Although these real-world data suggest some variation in levels of protection by vaccine, all FDA-approved or authorized COVID-19 vaccines provide substantial protection against COVID-19 hospitalization," researchers concluded.

The report was released hours before an FDA committee decided not to recommend booster shots for people vaccinated with Pfizer, except in the case of the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If this is accurate, we ain't gettin' a Moderna booster anytime soon :p

388fea30daa15c751c0ce15aac860846
NEWS.YAHOO.COM

Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine does a significantly better job of preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations compared with Pfizer's shot.

There's honestly more than one thing wrong with the FDA board's analysis from what I'm reading. One is getting laser-focused on hospitalization/death. Breakthrough cases can still fuck you up pretty bad even if you don't wind up in the hospital, you can still have long-term complications, and waning prevention from catching it is going to be a breeding ground for variants with higher likelihood of breakthrough potential.

CDC epidemiologist Sara Oliver presented a synthesis of data suggesting that vaccine efficacy against infection has declined over time, but protection against hospitalizations has remained strong.

Another is they seem to have made this a dick-measuring contest to prove that they didn't get pushed around by Biden instead of actually making the right decision.

"I think this should demonstrate to the public that the members of this committee are independent of the FDA and that, in fact, we do bring our voices to the table," Archana Chatterjee, a voting VRBPAC member and Dean of Chicago Medical School.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/09/fda-advisors-greenlight-pfizer-boosters-for-people-65-and-at-risk-groups/

• True 1