~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone freaked out over mRNA vaccines because of Facebook disinformation can just go get a J&J vaccine and avoid all of it. It's "super weird" how so much of the anti-vax nonsense out there just pretends the J&J vaccine doesn't exist.

I mean is it just the mRNA part that they are scared of?

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

They are anti-vax so they should take a vaccine? Isn't that what they are against?

More than 99% of the disinformation regarding the COVID-19 vaccines is stupid conspiracies surrounding mRNA. Everything from it supports abortions to it changes your DNA to it makes you infertile to it's designed to kill you a year after you've taken it. The J&J vaccine is a traditional, not mRNA vaccine. Anti-vaxxer are straight ignoring this vaccine even exists right now because it's not that scary sounding mRNA stuff. None of the fear mongering surround these vaccines other than "it's secretly a microchip" apply to the J&J vaccine.

4 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

More than 99% of the disinformation regarding the COVID-19 vaccines is stupid conspiracies surrounding mRNA. Everything from it supports abortions to it changes your DNA to it makes you infertile to it's designed to kill you a year after you've taken it. The J&J vaccine is a traditional, not mRNA vaccine. Anti-vaxxer are straight ignoring this vaccine even exists right now because it's not that scary sounding mRNA stuff. None of the fear mongering surround these vaccines other than "it's secretly a microchip" apply to the J&J vaccine.

This actually isn’t really true! While it has been studied in labs for a long time, the first viral vector vaccine that was approved by the FDA was the Ebola vaccine, which was approved in 2019. Most vaccines we know are actually protein vaccines, like Novavax.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

I mean is it just the mRNA part that they are scared of?

Because it sounds too much like DNA, so it's an easy way for the old school anti-vaxxers out there to recruit new ones into the fold with dumb stories about how they change you DNA. This is also the first major vaccine using mRNA tech and new stuff is scary. If you actually sat down with one of these COVID anti-vaxxers, that is not a MMR vaccine gives you autism kind of person, the reasons they'll list all tie back to basically "mRNA is new and scary". However, in many cases, those are just a front. It's usually just political. As soon as you point out J&J isn't an mRNA vaccine, they'll just say something about how it isn't as effective as the other vaccine's as if that's a valid point.

13 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

The number one objection voiced is “rushed and not fully tested” which would equally apply in their minds to all the vaccines created last year.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The number one objection voiced is “rushed and not fully tested” which would equally apply in their minds to all the vaccines created last year.

I keep hearing the term "experimental drug".

They have no concept on the difference between drugs and vaccines.  Nor, how vaccines are normally tested.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

The biggest thing I hear on social media these days is turds calling all the shots the “clot shot.”

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

That's been a common fallback for people I talk to that don't want to admit it's purely political at this point in time.

12 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I keep hearing the term "experimental drug".

They have no concept on the difference between drugs and vaccines.  Nor, how vaccines are normally tested.

As have I, but it's normally in regards to mRNA vaccines and the technology's relative newness.

1 minute ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyplace stretched with anti-vax nurses are stretched because of anti-vax plague hosts. Let these nurses find work somewhere that doesn't accept Medicare and Medicaid.

My wife's hospital system imposed a vaccine mandate that goes into effect fairly soon. There is a hole for religious exemptions and medical ones as well. I figure most nurses that are unvaccinated will just try to slither through one of those. 

• Guillotine 1

2 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Anyone freaked out over mRNA vaccines because of Facebook disinformation can just go get a J&J vaccine and avoid all of it. It's "super weird" how so much of the anti-vax nonsense out there just pretends the J&J vaccine doesn't exist.

J&J is hard to find. My FIL came to visit from Bolivia and I wanted to get him a single shot vaccine but we couldn't find the J&J anywhere in Utah.

3 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

When I see someone describe the vaccine as a "jab" I pretty much know their position on the vaccine right away. 

I've only heard this term used by pro-vaccine people. There is even a big billboard on the freeway close to my house by one of the major hospital systems here that talks about getting the jab.

The one that raises flags immediately for me are people who put the word vaccine in quotation marks when talking about the Covid vaccines. 

19 minutes ago, Chollowa said:

My wife's hospital system imposed a vaccine mandate that goes into effect fairly soon. There is a hole for religious exemptions and medical ones as well. I figure most nurses that are unvaccinated will just try to slither through one of those. 

Blah...Putting in a religious exemption is the same as not even having a mandate.

18 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

J&J is hard to find. My FIL came to visit from Bolivia and I wanted to get him a single shot vaccine but we couldn't find the J&J anywhere in Utah.

That's unfortunate. I know here in Massachusetts I can pick and choose which vaccine I want because they're all being offered, but this is also Massachusetts versus Utah. We're already at like 75% with at least one shot. Unfortunately, I can't yet request an mRNA booster because there has been no guidance on what a J&J booster looks like.

16 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The new requirements for Federal employees are going to extend to contractors as well, but the question is whether it will cover all contractors or only a subset.

I hope that covers ALL contractors because I want my anti-vaccine former flatmate's goddamned thick Russian/Slavic skull to explode.

Spread it to all contractors, even to firms like Lockheed and Raytheon. That would cover me as well and there are a few anti-vaxxers in the office whose heads would rightfully explode. It would be glorious.

9 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

That's unfortunate. I know here in Massachusetts I can pick and choose which vaccine I want because they're all being offered, but this is also Massachusetts versus Utah. We're already at like 75% with at least one shot. Unfortunately, I can't yet request an mRNA booster because there has been no guidance on what a J&J booster looks like.

I'd be curious what happens if you go to a handful of places and request the J&J. CDC website said J&J was available at a lot of places here but whenever we called they'd say they didn't have them anymore.

25 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'd be curious what happens if you go to a handful of places and request the J&J. CDC website said J&J was available at a lot of places here but whenever we called they'd say they didn't have them anymore.

No idea. Last I checked was for some family that didn't like needles, but that was like a month or so ago. Luckily it was actually available then, but no idea about now. It's certainly harder to find. There are only a few places left in my city that are still offering J&J. Amazingly, there are a couple of places that only offer J&J and do have available appointments, so I'm guessing they must have something there.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

The new requirements for Federal employees are going to extend to contractors as well, but the question is whether it will cover all contractors or only a subset.

I hope that covers ALL contractors because I want my anti-vaccine former flatmate's goddamned thick Russian/Slavic skull to explode.

What would the subset be, just contractors who sit on site in federal offices? 

Unconfirmed, but it would not at all be surprising if MLB did indeed tell the Red Sox to stop testing as they want to avoid having to sit Boston players for Covid protocol reasons when they are in the thick of a playoff wild card race.

Profit over people