~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, BloodyHell said:

Yeah, I was just commenting on the stuff I've seen online claiming Rogan is taking veterinary products.

Even if he took the version meant for humans, would you say it might be a fucked up amount of irresponsible for someone with the influence and audience he has to endorse it as an effective treatment for Covid, or nah?

5 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Even if he took the version meant for humans, would you say it might be a fucked up amount of irresponsible for someone with the influence and audience he has to endorse it as an effective treatment for Covid, or nah?

Sure, Absolutely.

It's also fucked up amounts of irresponsible for for the media not to differentiate. Im just saying, nobody is doing whats right in this situation.

2 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Sure, Absolutely.

It's also fucked up amounts of irresponsible for for the media not to differentiate. Im just saying, nobody is doing whats right in this situation.

A lot of media does though? Including the video I linked (not that Vaush doesn't have plenty of bad takes as well). Seems kinda weird and absolutist to say otherwise. 

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I don't believe he ever had it and I don't believe he took anything for it. 

Or he had it earlier and waited to test negative and intended this all as an elaborate "bit" or something.  

The Roganverse has gotten so batshit it forces you to almost think like a conspiracy theorist just to parse out which info from an instagram post - that in any other context would be serious & honest (health update of the host) - could be most truthful.

30 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

A lot of media does though? Including the video I linked. Seems kinda weird and absolutist to say otherwise. 

Or he had it earlier and waited to test negative and intended this all as a "bit" or something.  

The Roganverse has gotten so batshit it forces you to almost think like a conspiracy theorist just to parse out which info from an instagram post - that in any other context would be serious & honest (health update of the host) - is actually truthful.

I mean, most media isn't doing that, not the ones people watch anyway.

Again, none of it is good, but if you're going to report on it, it needs to be said that he's taking a pharmaceutical version, which tons of popular madia is not, including TYT, Damage Report, and a bunch of others. Its all, "Joe Rogan taking cattle dewormer". Your one obscure source reporting otherwise doesn't make up for the rest.

Joe Rogan isn't a news source, he has no obligation to anyone but himself (even his deal with Spotify is only licensing), and tells people all the time not to listen to him, and that he just says shit for a living. The media actually has an obligation to print the facts. Both are trash, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. 

I definitely believe he had it. Theres been reports of Joe being many things, including an idiot, but never an outright liar. I don't think he's intentionally harmful, he just strongly believes he can say whatever he wants, and refuses to be saddled with the "role model" tag. Its why he always outright says things like "only an idiot would take my opinions seriously". The problem is that there are plenty of idiots.

He could had had a false positive. It happens especially if it was not a pcr test that gave him the positive.

The problem with ivermectin in Rogans story is that they also don't mention in the headline that he claims he got monoclonal antibodies which are in short supply and have actual proven efficacy unlike ivermectin. 

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, most media isn't doing that, not the ones people watch anyway.

Again, none of it is good, but if you're going to report on it, it needs to be said that he's taking a pharmaceutical version, which tons of popular madia is not, including TYT, Damage Report, and a bunch of others. Its all, "Joe Rogan taking cattle dewormer". Your one obscure source reporting otherwise doesn't make up for the rest.

Joe Rogan isn't a news source, he has no obligation to anyone but himself (even his deal with Spotify is only licensing), and tells people all the time not to listen to him, and that he just says shit for a living. The media actually has an obligation to print the facts. Both are trash, I don't think anyone disagrees with that. 

I definitely believe he had it. Theres been reports of Joe being many things, including an idiot, but never an outright liar. I don't think he's intentionally harmful, he just strongly believes he can say whatever he wants, and refuses to be saddled with the "role model" tag. Its why he always outright says things like "only an idiot would take my opinions seriously". The problem is that there are plenty of idiots.

lot of people take media that spreads misinformation about covid at face value, lmao, so that's another dumb take. You need to do more research on how much of an audience Joe Rogan's show has and how influential he is.

Obviously we're in a time with plenty of misinformation, and left-leaning sources, while not as religious about it as right leaning ones, are also susceptible to it, but believing the potential widespread harm of occasional slightly inaccurate reporting is worse than when the most influential podcaster in the country enables swathes of bad critical thinkers to spread disease by endorsing goop tonics over vaccines during a pandemic is kind of a weird hill to die on  :lol:

Like nobody's saying Rogan needs to behave like the HR department of comedy once he has that much of a platform, but to put it in perspective, even if his anti-vax, anti-mask, anti-social distancing talking points are intended as a joke on segments of his audience, best case scenario he's still influencing a fuckton of them to give innocent people a disease for no reason. If a hacky publicity stunt (the most charitable interpretation) best case scenario literally results in spreading disease for no reason, maybe it's not the best time to do it? I guess this needs to be explained lmao

The world would objectively be a better place if Rogan fucked off into a sensory deprivation chamber last year and stayed put until 2025.

Things that confuse me right now.

1)  The amount of people who think the pandemic is about to end.  We probably have 2 more years of new waves /variants ahead of us

2)  People prescribing their own medicine -- whether it is invermectin or sneaking a third booster dose.

3)  The lack of focus the G20 has on increasing global vaccine supply that will result in more of my point #1

4)  The focus people have on cloth masks in a world with much more effective interventions (vaccines, improved ventilation and n95 masks) 

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Its a bit of BS though. Yes Rogan took Ivermectin, but it was the human formulation, and was apparently prescribed by a doctor. Of course none of that is reported.

The problem with the truth not being reported has nothing to do with making Rogan look like less of an idiot, it's with the public believing that Rogan took a veterinary product, therefore it's safe for them too. Neither are true. 

People don't care about the truth.  Right now, most folks will say anything to make the people they don't like look even stupider than they actually are.

The click-baity way this Rogan thing is being reported pisses me off because it let's him off the hook for all of the bullshit he was spouting about supplements and natural immunity. The minute he tested positive and was symptomatic he tried every early intervention, experimental or not, to fight Covid. The media sees a bright shiny word "Ivermectin" and immediately makes that the ONLY headline. It's irresponsible shit like this that breeds distrust of media and lets a turd like Rogan off the hook. 

You can see here the two articles foxnews.com recently ran about this...

Joe-Rogan.jpeg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Comedian Joe Rogan informed fans Wednesday he contracted COVID-19 and listed the medications he took, including an antiparasitic drug that has recently prompted federal health warnings.

Joe-Rogan-Podcast.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Joe Rogan revealed he tested negative for coronavirus, days after announcing his positive test results. The podcast host used the controversial Ivermectin to treat his illness.

If you were some random vaccine-skeptical dipshit and you saw those on the Fox News (the single most popular source of "news" in the county), the first on one day and then the next... how would you take that information in... and it's even worse because I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that every word of those headlines, subhead and the accompanying photographs were carefully selected by a room full of people who's primary concern was willfully manipulating their audience and creating as much chaos and confusion as possible...

I mean, if you share that on social media that’s exactly how it shows up. A big shit eating grinning joe Rogan, with the words negaitve for COVID and a subhead that says he used the controversial drug invermectin. No mention of anything else. 90% of people won’t read the article, that’s the whole take they get. Fox News is doing this on purpose. This is a willful deliberate act. It’s done with purpose  mindfully crafted to create the maximum amount of confusion and mistrust. 

I think the left's reaction to this ivermectin stuff is over the top and not helping. We need to stop turning things like this into political battles. Yes, it's frustrating when people won't trust a vaccine, but then are happy to take all sorts of unproven whatever to try and get better. Yes, it sucks. But the more we mock and belittle these kind of people, the harder they dig in. Ivermectin isn't horse paste. It's a well known drug with decades of use in people and animals. Calling it horse paste and turning it into a meme isn't helping the situation.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, ort said:

You can see here the two articles foxnews.com recently ran about this...

Joe-Rogan.jpeg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Comedian Joe Rogan informed fans Wednesday he contracted COVID-19 and listed the medications he took, including an antiparasitic drug that has recently prompted federal health warnings.

Joe-Rogan-Podcast.jpg?ve=1&tl=1
WWW.FOXNEWS.COM

Joe Rogan revealed he tested negative for coronavirus, days after announcing his positive test results. The podcast host used the controversial Ivermectin to treat his illness.

If you were some random vaccine-skeptical dipshit and you saw those on the Fox News (the single most popular source of "news" in the county), the first on one day and then the next... how would you take that information in... and it's even worse because I can guarantee you with 100% certainty that every word of those headlines and the accompanying photographs were carefully selected by a room full of people who's primary concern was willfully manipulating their audience and creating as much chaos and confusion as possible...

I think the left's reaction to this ivermectin stuff is over the top and not helping. We need to stop turning things like this into political battles. Yes, it's frustrating when people won't trust a vaccine, but then are happy to take all sorts of unproven whatever to try and get better. Yes, it sucks. But the more we mock and belittle these kind of people, the harder they dig in. Ivermectin isn't horse paste. It's a well known drug with decades of use in people and animals. Calling it horse paste and turning it into a meme isn't helping the situation.

Oh interesting, I didn't know so many people were actually taking Ivermectin (including the versions for animals) lol. Left-leaning and independent news sources are also reporting this. 

Man, it's complicated but cruel as it sounds, while there's a discussion to be had about public figures using their platform more responsibly in times of crisis,  the unfortunate reality is it does get to a point where it makes little sense to put blame on some public figures when people listening to them go that far. 

I dunno... it's a shame...maybe I'm a psychopath for saying it, but issues like that should probably just be ignored as far as allocating genuine concern and efforts towards prevention.  There's still too much normalization of apathy and ignorance (both actual and wilful) towards reducing effectiveness of preventing the spread of the virus to focus on and there's more that can be actually be done about that.

9 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Oh interesting, I didn't know so many people were actually taking Ivermectin (including the versions for animals) lol. Left-leaning and independent news sources are also reporting this.

If you've been perusing this thread for the past couple of weeks you'd see that they have and there is even a subreddit for said people who are taking it.

1 hour ago, marioandsonic said:
screen-shot-2021-09-05-at-10-33-03-am.pn
WWW.CBSNEWS.COM

"The bottom line is very likely at least part of the plan will be implemented, but ultimately the entire plan will be," Fauci said.

Damn it, I want my booster already!

At least with Moderna you have twice the antibodies.

10 hours ago, heydude93 said:

I'd recommend watching and/or paying closer attention to the whole video. :) 

At 4:40ish in he starts talking about Ivermectin and calls it a horse dewormer, saying it only has some use in humans in clinical situations. That is false, so what is the point of watching more of the guy?

Ivermectin likely does not help with Covid, though there are two large scale studies currently being done to have a more concrete answer to the question. But Ivermectin has been available in human dosages for a long time and is regularly used in parts of the world where things like lack of refrigeration lead to more issues of food borne parasites. The human variety is very safe when used as prescribed, but there is no good evidence at this time of it being helpful in stopping Covid.

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If you've been perusing this thread for the past couple of weeks you'd see that they have and there is even a subreddit for said people who are taking it.

Listen I may like watching streamers like Destiny's content but I'm far from having his memory and recall so everyone's just gonna have to cut me some fuckin' slack here ok lol

I get most of my news from Reuters and twitch, not here. I can only be so many places at once and there's so much to keep up with I'm bound to be behind on hearing about at least a few things!

And yeah, as Vaush mentioned in that clip I linked, there does seem to be some weird internet meme cult fermenting around Ivermectin, one of many new weirdo online cults and cults that are offshoots of new cults popping up every other week - just another day in increasingly stupid and misinformed America and who knows where else.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

At 4:40ish in he starts talking about Ivermectin and calls it a horse dewormer, saying it only has some use in humans in clinical situations. That is false, so what is the point of watching more of the guy?

Ivermectin likely does not help with Covid, though there are two large scale studies currently being done to have a more concrete answer to the question. But Ivermectin has been available in human dosages for a long time and is regularly used in parts of the world where things like lack of refrigeration lead to more issues of food borne parasites. The human variety is very safe when used as prescribed, but there is no good evidence at this time of it being helpful in stopping Covid.

Ok I'm confused. He said Ivermectin is a medicine often used as a horse dewormer but also for humans sometimes in treating some ailments (mainly parasitic infection), but as far as anyone knows is ineffective against Covid, and that anti-vax conservatives are incorrectly using it for that reason, and when someone like Joe Rogan promotes it, it quantifiably results in a decrease in the amount of people who might otherwise get vaccinated. You're saying there's not much truth to this? What specifically would you say he's getting wrong here?

Also even if he did get some things wrong in that video you have to keep in mind that due to nature of the live format, there's always going to be some margin of error with how well fact-checked the research of most streamers will be the day of. It's kinda weird to not expect otherwise.. That amount will vary from streamer to streamer (in the case of someone like Ahrelevant it happens very infrequently, in the case of Hasan it happens all the time, etc). It's the kind of stuff that credible streamers course-correct over time.

Vaush defnitely has some bad takes like anyone else, but as far as I know the thing he deserves most critique over isn't the frequency of them but how often he defends them when he should course correct.  It doesn't happen super often but it does happen more than it should, so even though he's on point most of the time, it's always reasonable to be skeptical, sure.

This is why I'd rank steamers like Destiny, Rele, WickedSupreme and Booksmarts higher as a source of unbiased info - they seem to have a better track record of unbiased takes and course correction when they're wrong. As long as a streamer still has good takes most of the time and makes effort to acknowledge when they don't, I don't see how there's not still some value in getting info from them, but feel free to disagree ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@heydude93

He said it was a horse dewormer, then noted it has some human uses in clinical situations. It was actually originally used in humans dating in the early 80s, and a Nobel prize in medicine was given in the last 6 or 7 years to a couple of doctors for their discovery of it and use in human medicine. It is used all over the world, including in the US, in patients every day. Your local pharmacy carries human doses of the stuff. The guy doesn’t know the history of the medication and instead is parroting what he’s seen on Twitter. If I wanted poorly researched Twitter takes, I would come HERE :p  

So maybe don’t live stream your thoughts if you aren’t going to bother doing to research ahead of time to actually know what you’re talking about?

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

@heydude93

He said it was a horse dewormer, then noted it has some human uses in clinical situations. It was actually originally used in humans dating in the early 80s, and a Nobel prize in medicine was given in the last 6 or 7 years to a couple of doctors for their discovery of it and use in human medicine. It is used all over the world, including in the US, in patients every day. Your local pharmacy carries human doses of the stuff. The guy doesn’t know the history of the medication and instead is parroting what he’s seen on Twitter. If I wanted poorly researched Twitter takes, I would come HERE :p  

So maybe don’t live stream your thoughts if you aren’t going to bother doing to research ahead of time to actually know what you’re talking about?

He never said it wasn't used in treating humans sometimes lol. He actually pointed that it is/was, though maybe he should've emphasized it more? I'm not sure why you think he didn't specify this and that everything he says is invalidated because of it

Just now, heydude93 said:

He never said it wasn't used in treating humans sometimes though lol. He actually pointed out exactly what you're saying here, though maybe he should've emphasized it more.

Noooope. He called it a horse dewormer exactly because he thinks that’s all it is, and again noted it had some uses in clinical settings. He is quite obviously trying to suggest it is primarily for one purpose )horse deworming) and some sort of rarity in human use. It is a human use drug that was later adapted for veterinary uses. The entire basis of his point is that one must be crazy to take ivermectin as a human, not that it has questionable efficacy in treating Covid. He is ignorant and I wasted 5 minutes on it that I could have used responding to my AMA.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Noooope. He called it a horse dewormer exactly because he thinks that’s all it is, and again noted it had some uses in clinical settings. He is quite obviously trying to suggest it is primarily for one purpose )horse deworming) and some sort of rarity in human use. It is a human use drug that was later adapted for veterinary uses. The entire basis of his point is that one must be crazy to take ivermectin as a human, not that it has questionable efficacy in treating Covid. He is ignorant and I wasted 5 minutes on it that I could have used responding to my AMA.

He literally didn't :lol:. Watch it again, he mentioned its also used for treating humans.

I think you're critique here is most sound if you say he should've phrased it more accurately and comprehensively by including more of the deets you mentioned in your recent two posts, but beyond that no. If you're gonna criticize a public figure for misinformation it kinda helps to not have misinformation in your critique of them

The main point he's making is how crazy people are for using it to treat COVID, and that it's inffective for that purpose, which absolutely holds up.  It's kinda weird you're pushing back so much on this instead of just accepting the fact that even streamers who are good at what they do won't be perfectly accurate sometimes.  This isn't even that bad of a fuck up (most of your issues w/ him seems based on not following everything he said in that video) and as far as anyone knows, he course corrected on a later stream but again, feel free to disagree. Even if this isn't one of them, there's certainly legitimate reasons to not be a huge fan of Vaush.

11 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

The main point he's making is how crazy people are for using it to treat COVID, and that it's inffective for that purpose, which absolutely holds up. 

There is no conclusive evidence in either direction, though the only published studies to date show it is effective in treating Covid patients. The studies themselves though are questionable based mostly on small sample sizes and in one notable case there was clearly incorrect and possibly faked data in the published data set. There are two large scale and seemingly properly constructed and administered studies currently going on and the results should be published some time in late October. So, no, even that claim doesn't hold up. He doesn't know what he is talking about. why should I give him my time?

And I don't watch live streams of commentary, just as I don't watch TV news channels that rush out content without taking the proper time to research it. I have a project myself that will eventually be a podcast, mostly for my own entertainment, that I refer to as "Very Late News". It is called that because spitting out ideas off the cuff is a recipe for bad information and poorly informed opinions. We all have a tendency to shoot from the hip and accuracy just isn't there. We would be better off taking time to learn more about a subject before firing off our not even half baked takes.

One of the threads I enjoy reading here is the "keep cars out of cities" thread, because @b_m_b_m_b_mis both passionate about and knowledgeable about the subject. I don't know hardly anything about it, so you know what I don't do? I hardly ever post in it! But I read it basically every time it gets bumped to the top. 

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

There is no conclusive evidence in either direction, though the only published studies to date show it is effective in treating Covid patients. The studies themselves though are questionable based mostly on small sample sizes and in one notable case there was clearly incorrect and possibly faked data in the published data set. There are two large scale and seemingly properly constructed and administered studies currently going on and the results should be published some time in late October. So, no, even that claim doesn't hold up. He doesn't know what he is talking about. why should I give him my time?

And I don't watch live streams of commentary, just as I don't watch TV news channels that rush out content without taking the proper time to research it. I have a project myself that will eventually be a podcast, mostly for my own entertainment, that I refer to as "Very Late News". It is called that because spitting out ideas off the cuff is a recipe for bad information and poorly informed opinions. We all have a tendency to shoot from the hip and accuracy just isn't there. We would be better off taking time to learn more about a subject before firing off our not even half baked takes.

One of the threads I enjoy reading here is the "keep cars out of cities" thread, because @b_m_b_m_b_mis both passionate about and knowledgeable about the subject. I don't know hardly anything about it, so you know what I don't do? I hardly ever post in it! But I read it basically every time it gets bumped to the top. 

Now I'm definitely confused. I've heard of the studies you're mentioning (as far as I know they're debunked), but ultimately you're saying it's more reasonable for an influential political commentator to say "Let's give the whole Ivermectin thing a chance, it might be our best shot against covid, we just don't know yet" instead of pointing out how prioritizing Ivermectin over vaccines is dumb/based in scientific illiteracy, willful ignorance, etc?

Do%20Not%20Use%20Ivermectin%20to%20Treat
WWW.FDA.GOV

Using the Drug ivermectin to treat COVID-19 can be dangerous and even lethal. The FDA has not approved the drug for that purpose.

10 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Now I'm definitely confused. I've heard of the studies you're mentioning, but you're saying it's more reasonable for a political commentator to say "Let's give the whole Ivermectin thing a chance, it might be our best shot against covid, we just don't know yet" instead of pointing out at best there's no conclusive evidence that it is, and that it's dumb to prioritize taking it instead of approved vaccines?

Do%20Not%20Use%20Ivermectin%20to%20Treat
WWW.FDA.GOV

Using the Drug ivermectin to treat COVID-19 can be dangerous and even lethal. The FDA has not approved the drug for that purpose.

Anytime you go the 'so what you're saying is' route, you are making up a point the person didn't make. What any person should say is "we don't know" when we don't know something. I personally wouldn't take ivermectin or suggest anybody else does, because it more likely than not doesn't help given what ivermectin does and the fact that it hasn't shown itself to be helpful with regard to similar viruses. But I also won't say somebody is taking horse dewormer when they aren't. There ARE people taking the horse variety, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person on this board to bring up that people were going to feed stores and tractor supply to get the horse variety. 

But the truth matters. Accuracy matters. Our hot take culture is a cancer.

7 minutes ago, Jwheel86 said:

My mom has a sore throat and cough... If it is COVID she either got it last weekend from our neighbors or my Dad brought it home from the grocery store on Wednesday. My Dad and I have no symptoms of any kind. She's getting tested tomorrow. 

Very close to zero chance your dad caught it on a trip to the grocery store. It just isn't how this thing is spreading.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Anytime you go the 'so what you're saying is' route, you are making up a point the person didn't make. What any person should say is "we don't know" when we don't know something. I personally wouldn't take ivermectin or suggest anybody else does, because it more likely than not doesn't help given what ivermectin does and the fact that it hasn't shown itself to be helpful with regard to similar viruses. But I also won't say somebody is taking horse dewormer when they aren't. There ARE people taking the horse variety, in fact I'm pretty sure I'm the first person on this board to bring up that people were going to feed stores and tractor supply to get the horse variety. 

So what you're saying is, talk to my doctor about ivermectin?

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Man if that last sentence is the point you're trying to make all along, maybe work a bit more on communicating it and putting it into action :lol:.

Now if you had said something like "Vaush is mostly accurate here but could've been more precise in his phrasing and should've emphasized more details about it and some of the inconclusively around it, mentioned studies, etc", you'd have a hill to stand on, but claiming he only thinks it's a horse dewormer is uncharitable and false at the end of the day. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So yeah of course it can be hard to have the most accurate takes on breaking political events, especially for more complicated ones or ones where there isn't enough evidence to see the bigger picture yet. Streamers are susceptible to it as well - reasonable viewers already know this and take it into account when watching - but those streamers also know that's part of the game and the most credible ones can help you with reducing bad habits that obstruct critical thinking, and getting better at putting it into action consistently.   ^_^