~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm just tired of it all. Job is stressful, it's not like I can shut myself away anyhow, I haven't gone anywhere at all in 3 years, since we decided to skip a trip in 2019 and save some money. That worked out well. We're fully vaxxed, we just wanna go somewhere.

It's definitely a different calculus when you're in a hospital every day anyhow. Much less marginal risk for you than to those of us who can go back to work from home if the shit hits the fan again. 

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Far more effective than your replacement level ass, brah.

No joke, when I was at the Astros/Twins game on Saturday he tried to throw a ball into the stands over the netting and bounced it off the netting. Not very good :lol:

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I'm just tired of it all. Job is stressful, it's not like I can shut myself away anyhow, I haven't gone anywhere at all in 3 years, since we decided to skip a trip in 2019 and save some money. That worked out well. We're fully vaxxed, we just wanna go somewhere.

Fully agreed with all of this. We were lucky and shielded by not having many COVID skeptics last year, but adding COVID deniers/anti-vaxxers into the mix plus short staffing plus a whole bunch of other things has made it pretty rough in recent weeks. I hope you're hanging in there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jason said:

I'm looking at doing something in Vermont at the start of November. We'll see if Delta winds up forcing it cancelled again for this year and I'm not sure how I'll feel about an inherently indoor event at that point but LAX->Boston->Vermont at least seems okay in terms of vax rates.

I mean, if you're vaccinated and wearing a mask around crowds, I seriously don't know what you'd be worried about anyway.

Conservatives claiming this is propaganda cause it happened in a blue city instead of you know, the event required proof of vaccine or a negative test, lol.  Can't be cause vaccines work though.

GettyImages-1331345004.jpg?w=1280
WGNTV.COM

CHICAGO (AP) — Chicago health officials on Thursday reported 203 cases of COVID-19 connected to Lollapalooza, casting it as a number that was anticipated and not yet linked to any hospitalizations …

13 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, if you're vaccinated and wearing a mask around crowds, I seriously don't know what you'd be worried about anyway.

Because it's three days straight indoors (staying at the hotel where the event is being held) with having to eat indoors too. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because it's three days straight indoors (staying at the hotel where the event is being held) with having to eat indoors too. 

Again, if you're vaccinated, what are you worried about? (Unless you have serious comorbidities).

Like at this point, I don't care. Im vaccinated, if I get it, I get it. I don't want it, but its also time to move on.

Everything points to breakthrough cases being very mild. I'm not going to spend another year or more stressing over covid. 

All continued worrying does is give anti-vaxxers a reason to question the vaccine. 

But like I said, if you do have other health problems, then I understand.

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

Unless you want to alter your behavior for the rest of your life, at a certain point you will have to trust the science and rely on the notion that your inoculation will protect you, because the virus is here to stay. 

Pretty much this, its not going anywhere, keep up on your yearly booster.

3 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Pretty much this, its not going anywhere, keep up on your yearly booster.

Yeah, and even if the argument is, ‘We still need mitigation efforts while so many are unvaccinated’ (which is true), the relative risk to any one person who has inoculation probably isn’t significant (i.e. a vaccinated person’s risk doesn’t change drastically if 60% of the population is vaccinated versus 80%). At this point masks, social distancing, etc. is only going to protect the unvaccinated. 

Just now, Chris- said:

Yeah, and even if the argument is, ‘We still need mitigation efforts while so many are unvaccinated’ (which is true), the relative risk to any one person who has inoculation probably isn’t significant (i.e. a vaccinated person’s risk doesn’t change drastically if 60% of the population is vaccinated versus 80%). At this point masks, social distancing, etc. is only going to protect the unvaccinated. 

And masks don't do yourself any good if no one else is wearing them.

Just now, Chris- said:

And the unvaxxed are unvaxxed by choice, so I don't even care anymore.

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

And masks don't do yourself any good if no one else is wearing them.

This seems mask dependent. A properly worn N95 is very effective for the wearer from what I’ve read, regardless of other peoples activity. This could be different now with a more transmissible virus

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This seems mask dependent. A properly worn N95 is very effective for the wearer from what I’ve read, regardless of other peoples activity. This could be different now with a more transmissible virus

Sure, but Jasons fear still seems overblown, including his rush to get a third shot. To each their own though.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Like sure, if you're also wearing eye goggles, you pretty much have to treat the virus like you're in a COVID ward if no one else is wearing a mask.

With the talk of some countries not recognizing mixed vaccine shots as being fully vaccinated I wonder if I will have to get another shot if I plan on travelling. Not any time soon, so maybe the stance on that will change, but maybe I will have to get a second Pfizer or Moderna shot. Or hell, get a fourth shot; get another Pfizer and another Moderna so I have double of both! :p

• Like 1

To be fair, our unit isn't a dedicated negative pressure environment and there has been zero patient to staff transmission with N95s primarily used (PAPRs being used for those who fail fit testing or for comfort for nurses who are in the room for a majority of their shift, continuous dialysis/crrt for example).

Not to be doom-and-gloom but we've had one vaccinated patient with no past medical history on ecmo. Just sharing to share that it's not a zero percent chance of severe infection if otherwise healthy, and it's ok for people to cautious. And personally, covid messing up your sense of taste and smell (not a loss of taste and smell) is absolutely worth it for me to be extra cautious. I love eating too much to have foods smell like rancid meat or gasoline. 🙃

Being alive carries risk of dying, or being seriously and permanently injured, but most people do things on a daily basis that present significantly higher risks of that than being seriously harmed or killed by Covid after being fully vaccinated.

Given that everybody with the most notable risk of Covid have easy and free access to vaccines on demand here, I don’t even think there is an ethical question of whether vaccinated persons need to take precautions on account of the unvaccinated either.

This certainly is subject to change if we see a variant that begins to greatly increase harm to children who still can’t be vaccinated.

58 minutes ago, Joe said:

I buy from an authorized dealer.

bonafidemasks.com

I bought some of the KN95s from that site a while back but I don't love how they fit. I think the problem is that because they come folded in half it's hard to get the nose bridge to conform to my nose properly since the nose bridge has a heavy bend in it. 

I've been buying the white ones of these instead: https://www.everydayemall.com/products/lg-airwasher-kf94-face-mask-black-made-in-korea-lg-kf94-1pcs?variant=39470122500247

I find they seal a lot better and I like the extra loop for the ear strap to tighten the mask against your face. The black ones are supposed to be equivalent but I find the material is a little stiffer, I think the white ones are a little more pliable and thus allow for a better fit. 

• Thanks 1