~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Meanwhile in Canada, it took until Monday for the Ontario Liberals to support mandatory vaccination for health-care and education workers. (Even the Registered Nurses’ Association of Ontario beat them to the punch.) The official Opposition New Democrats have not followed suit. Nor have their NDP friends in Opposition in Edmonton or their NDP friends in government in Victoria. The Saskatchewan New Democrats are among the remarkably few Canadian politicians on board with vaccine passports: Saskatchewan MLAs Aleana Young and Meara Conway said last month they want to “ensure that (when) we’re crushing brews in Pil Country it’s not next to an anti-vaxxer screaming moistly for the home team.” (Pil Country is a “social zone” at Roughriders games sponsored by Old Style Pilsner beer.)

Why aren’t more politicians on board?

Part of it is self-interest, certainly: Progressive parties in opposition are not in the business of imposing on teachers and nurses. Part of it may be self-preservation. The chances that a government-run vaccine passport system would collapse in an embarrassing non-functional heap are high. Any federal proof-of-vaccination system won’t be ready until December at the earliest, Politico reported last week. By and large, Canadian governments simply aren’t good at doing big, unusual things — at all, let alone quickly. The dominant Central Canadian political culture dislikes big, unusual things on principle — just think how aghast federal Liberals and New Democrats were in March last year when people suggested closing the borders.

But it’s also simply a reflection of just how incredibly narrow the political spectrum of ideas is in this country. That’s a huge problem, especially when mortal threats land on our doorstep. And there are much bigger potential threats out there than COVID-19.

I have no interest in forcing people to be vaccinated -- we can't actually do that.

However, if people want to work in the healthcare field.  Be a teacher.  Eat inside a restaurant.  Work in a workplace where you are in close contact with others.  Be close to me.  I think it is OK to insist that only vaccinated people can do those things.

I mean, restaurants regularly bar you from entry if you're not wearing a shirt/shoes, because they want to provide a certain experience for their patrons.  How is vaccination status all that different?

But if our government (both federal and provincial) are too narrow minded to recognize that...

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

I have no interest in forcing people to be vaccinated -- we can't actually do that.

However, if people want to work in the healthcare field.  Be a teacher.  Eat inside a restaurant.  Work in a workplace where you are in close contact with others.  Be close to me.  I think it is OK to insist that only vaccinated people can do those things.

I mean, restaurants regularly bar you from entry if you're not wearing a shirt/shoes, because they want to provide a certain experience for their patrons.  How is vaccination status all that different?

But if our government (both federal and provincial) are too narrow minded to recognize that...

You and I disagree (cordially, I think!) on a few things, but this is something we are 100% in tune on. People are free to refuse vaccinations, but they shouldn't be allowed to go everywhere the vaccinated can. You have a right to refuse medical treatment, but there is no right to be a teacher, go to a bar, etc. Ironically, the anti-vaxxers (which I lump anyone unvaxxed into at this point) were always saying "if you're so scared of the virus, then stay at home and let the rest of us live!" Now, they are insisting on being given the same privileges as everyone else, even though they are afraid of the safe vaccines. Fuck them.

Unrelated, Canada's vaccination numbers. 

tenor.gif

oKsglRT.png

• Haha 1

Interesting. So the reason Israel's numbers seemed to be bad for vaccinated people pre-July was because Delta was primarily spreading in highly vaccinated areas (meaning it was catching more vaccinated people as there weren't many unvaccinated), but since then it's spread to the boonies and is now really spreading amongst the unvaccinated. The R0 is 4 (!!!) amongst the unvaccinated population with no restrictions, which is batshit insane. This thing is actually going to infect everyone on the planet who doesn't get a vaccine.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Interesting. So the reason Israel's numbers seemed to be bad for vaccinated people pre-July was because Delta was primarily spreading in highly vaccinated areas (meaning it was catching more vaccinated people as there weren't many unvaccinated), but since then it's spread to the boonies and is now really spreading amongst the unvaccinated. The R0 is 4 (!!!) amongst the unvaccinated population with no restrictions, which is batshit insane. This thing is actually going to infect everyone on the planet who doesn't get a vaccine.

I read the R value was 6-8.

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sports guys are the perfect vessel for vaccine outreach but they're also the dumbest mfers alive who seem to think they're not gonna be impacted and thus won't get vaccinated

You could have just said they’re Americans instead of typing all that.

18 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Sports guys are the perfect vessel for vaccine outreach but they're also the dumbest mfers alive who seem to think they're not gonna be impacted and thus won't get vaccinated

"I'm not <vulnerable to respiratory infection>, I'm O.J.!"