~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, for sure. There is certainly a possibility that some small number of people in the US had it in Dec/Jan. But it's unlikely, and it's certainly not the large number of people who claim to have had it. Heck, even in March right when the pandemic was first really revving up in North America, I had the worst flu of my life and got tested twice, but was negative. The winter of 2019/20 was a very bad flu season, and most people just think they had COVID-19.

The evidence points to Covid existing in the US as early as December 2019.  It was a small amount, though.

40 minutes ago, CayceG said:

And now it's fixed. I'm betting that the CDC's guidance isn't what caused the spikes. 

First, it's not really fixed. 

Second, in what feels like it was a bid to salvage credibility by not pushing guidance conservatives were ignoring, all they've done is blow their credibility with people who actually want to follow public health guidance by first jumping the gun and now not fully walking it back. Conservatives were never going to listen to the CDC on masks no matter what. 

They didn’t reverse policy, the guidance is different and based on local conditions. Previous guidance was always wear a mask indoors no matter what. And both were appropriate given the situation at the time.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

They didn’t reverse policy, the guidance is different and based on local conditions. Previous guidance was always wear a mask indoors no matter what. And both were approximate given the situation at the time.

The CNBC headline is "CDC policy". The justification for dropping mask mandates in May was "new CDC rules". Insist it's just guidance all you want, most people are treating them as actual rules and the CDC as a public health agency needs to adapt to the reality of how their messaging is being received. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

The CNBC headline is "CDC policy". The justification for dropping mask mandates in May was "new CDC rules". Insist it's just guidance all you want, most people are treating them as actual rules and the CDC as a public health agency needs to adapt to the reality of how their messaging is being received. 

It’s the definition of guidance, which is what the CDC can and should offer. I don’t know why you care, you ignore the guidance that doesn’t fit your own notions so why expect others to follow anyway?

logo-og-default.jpg
WWW.RESEARCHSQUARE.COM

Both natural infection with SARS-CoV-2 and immunization with vaccines induce protective immunity. However, the extent to which such immune responses protect against emerging variants is of...

22 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s the definition of guidance, which is what the CDC can and should offer. I don’t know why you care, you ignore the guidance that doesn’t fit your own notions so why expect others to follow anyway?

2WWCAPKFAVESNGQ5SY4VLXUXE4.jpg
WWW.INQUIRER.COM

It’s time to stop asking kids to make sacrifices to protect older people.
gettyimages-1232846344-7e5fb9f00e425d714
WSKG.ORG

The governor says it’s still OK to continue to wear a mask, if you feel more comfortable doing so.

5 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
logo-og-default.jpg
WWW.RESEARCHSQUARE.COM

Both natural infection with SARS-CoV-2 and immunization with vaccines induce protective immunity. However, the extent to which such immune responses protect against...

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:
logo-og-default.jpg
WWW.RESEARCHSQUARE.COM

Both natural infection with SARS-CoV-2 and immunization with vaccines induce protective immunity. However, the extent to which such immune responses protect against emerging variants is of...

I HAVE THE POWER

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

2WWCAPKFAVESNGQ5SY4VLXUXE4.jpg
WWW.INQUIRER.COM

It’s time to stop asking kids to make sacrifices to protect older people.
gettyimages-1232846344-7e5fb9f00e425d714
WSKG.ORG

The governor says it’s still OK to continue to wear a mask, if you feel more comfortable doing so.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html

They literally call it guidance :lol:

14 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

I want a 3rd and 4th shot 

Well if you’re in Quebec, you can get a 3rd dose at your own discretion. Being done mainly for those who had both a mRNA and the AZ shot, and would like like the full mRNA coverage. Plus many are running into issues for cruise ships because they don’t recognize on most ship/docking island ports the mixed vaccine protection as full coverage

55 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Okay? As I showed, the news media was reporting it as rules so that's what the public thinks they are. Even the government compliance people at work were calling it the new CDC rules. Public health is largely about messaging and they're consistently failing to control the message. 

48 minutes ago, Joe said:

Jason’s wording is a little off, but I think what he is saying is that many states base their policies and rules based off CDC guidance, so the end result is the same.

It's both. Many states base their rules off whatever the current CDC guidance is, but a lot of the public thinks the CDC makes rules and not guidance. The news media reports it as rules and I'm pretty sure some governors were calling them rules. 

46 minutes ago, Jason said:

Okay? As I showed, the news media was reporting it as rules so that's what the public thinks they are. Even the government compliance people at work were calling it the new CDC rules. Public health is largely about messaging and they're consistently failing to control the message. 

Because you’re pretending like me calling it guidance is some ruse. It’s explicitly what they call it. The media being bad at their job isn’t something I’m going to disagree on. The CDC being bad at messaging is something I’ve been pointing out for over a year. That doesn’t change what the CDC’s actual role is, which is advisory. They don’t and can’t do what you would apparently like them to do.