~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Mesa county has less than 70% of the 70+ age bucket vaccinated according to the county dashboard. Not good!

And I assume there is some political division as far as how you identify and how it relates to being vaccinated.

2 hours ago, silentbob said:

Just wanna thank @CitizenVectronfor posting the Twitter long hauler stuff, cause you can count me and my mom in that group. We have been battling the nausea and headaches this past week again, some bad moments, but not the worse we’ve had either. Plus this week we have both had what we call “verbal diarrhea” You are trying to say one thing and then you either mumble it together to sound like nothing or you just go blank and forget your train of thought completely. I’m fully vaccinated and was hoping this would of been long gone, like some other long haulers who got fully vaccinated. Local hospital has a doctor who might be trying a long hauler study and looking for volunteers. We just might sign up and volunteer 

My wife has what she calls "being in a brain fog" she says her hearing isn't quite the same, energy is low, she sleeps a lot more now but has trouble falling and staying asleep too. Even tho she got it in Feb-Mar 2020 and we didn't isolate (wasn't really a thing, neither were masks) I only had one morning that my eggs weren't quite right but have had no other symptoms. 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

My wife has what she calls "being in a brain fog" she says her hearing isn't quite the same, energy is low, she sleeps a lot more now but has trouble falling and staying asleep too.

I’m right now just trying to stay awake. I know getting up early to let Fozzie Bear outside for a pee in the morning might be part of that too, but I’m like her on the sleep. Being off from work I have had to take “naps” in the afternoon. I don’t sleep long for the 2 hours I’m up there for roughly. I just can’t get comfy on my memory foam mattress and my pulled up bedsheets will tell you that. I know work helped develop my anxiety for me and I feel it at night. My cousin is also like me, but her anxiety skyrocketed after catching Covid. She says she knows what Anxiety is and whatever Covid did, it ramped up to that Spinal Tap 11. I know I talk about my marijuana usage a lot on these boards, and it has been (and not saying this as an addict of anything) the only thing that has brought any sense of relief. . . . just not all the time. Ever since I got Covid my highs have been all over the place, as in I feel it or nothing at all. I took one day I would think 4-5g of my stuff and barely got a buzz throughout the day. This lack of highs could last anywhere between about 2-3 weeks, and then return for a few days. I remember 2 days after my first shot of Pfizer my weed started to work again for me and has been working better for my needs since then and even better after the 2nd. I’m no light weight but I’ve been feeling it good now. I take some before bed and gives me 3-4hours of solid sleep, before waking up again at 5am.

another issue that I have recently started to really notice (same with my mom today) and has been going before my shots. I will be eating a snack or something and all of a sudden feels like an allergic reaction/panic attack is happening with my throat. It feels like it’s caving in or like a hand is literally choking me on the inside. Im pretty much in need or gasping for air for 5-10 minutes. Next thing you know I’m back to normal and can eat the exact same items with no issues whatsoever, and also seems to happen between 8-10pm. Which is sort of funny because my nausea usually hit me at work between 8-9am, and was bad enough that I thought I would throw up in the middle of the store. Again this would last for that magic 5-10 minutes.

cousin still hasn’t gotten a shot and she too grows and uses her own stuff (I sent her some too) She is still what I was like with the weed being hit or miss on her as well. She’s part of a different long hauler study I believe with a London Ontario study, and wants to know more before she gets her shot. I still think she should just get the shot and take whatever relief it gives to her long hauler issues.

Seen a few friends post recently about getting Covid and having a really bad time with it. They all said something along the lines of “if I knew it would be this bad I would have gotten vaccinated” and I’m just not sure how you can make it July 2021 without an appreciation for how bad this virus can hit younger people too.

39 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Seen a few friends post recently about getting Covid and having a really bad time with it. They all said something along the lines of “if I knew it would be this bad I would have gotten vaccinated” and I’m just not sure how you can make it July 2021 without an appreciation for how bad this virus can hit younger people too.

Up until really recently (and it's still continuing, though the pivot is happening to an extent) right wing TV / radio has been downplaying most aspects of COVID. Misinformation and downplaying the severity of the virus is still rampant on social media. If that's where you get your news I really don't think it's that difficult to see how this happens. I'm married to an NP who has taken shifts in COVID clinics and when I tell people I have known since kindergarten about her experiences when they pop off about 99% survival rate, the dangers of masks / vaccines, etc., I've been accused of being part of the deep state or that I'm trying to brainwash children. It's wild out there.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

36 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

Up until really recently (and it's still continuing, though the pivot is happening to an extent) right wing TV / radio has been downplaying most aspects of COVID. Misinformation and downplaying the severity of the virus is still rampant on social media. If that's where you get your news I really don't think it's that difficult to see how this happens. I'm married to an NP who has taken shifts in COVID clinics and when I tell people I have known since kindergarten about her experiences when they pop off about 99% survival rate, the dangers of masks / vaccines, etc., I've been accused of being part of the deep state or that I'm trying to brainwash children. It's wild out there.

For sure, way too much of the coverage (in the mainstream/centre media) has been mostly about death and the severest disease, there hasn't been enough attention on people (much more of them) who have a really bad infection for a few weeks and then "recover" (which in reality is not a full recovery). There has been an obsession on focusing on stopping an ICU surge (which is great!) but it's dominated too much of the conversation, and has taken away from the other life-changing aspects of the disease (as well as how much it just sucks to have a really, really bad lung infection, even if you survive).

These aren’t people who are in the conservative media bubble, they do exist in other bubbles of low information more than anything. People in this group are really surprised when I’ve walked them through the situation on the ground today. It’s baffling how so many people go through life essentially unaware of the sorts of stuff us dorks feast on every day. Like, I get that people don’t spend the amount of time we do staying up on current events, but they know close to nothing and have zero curiosity about these things.

Anyway, my friend's dad is home from the hospital, and they're stopping dialysis and they're starting to make him comfortable. He's got a couple weeks left.

Had no cancer before covid, got covid and spent weeks in the hospital. Was released, then stage 4 cancer is found on his lungs and liver and now he's gonna be dead before long. Fucking awful

• Sad 6

20 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

These aren’t people who are in the conservative media bubble, they do exist in other bubbles of low information more than anything. People in this group are really surprised when I’ve walked them through the situation on the ground today. It’s baffling how so many people go through life essentially unaware of the sorts of stuff us dorks feast on every day. Like, I get that people don’t spend the amount of time we do staying up on current events, but they know close to nothing and have zero curiosity about these things.

The conservative propaganda apparatus doesn't start and/or stop at Fox news and is quite effective at permeating normie space.

Dems don't have it because there is no propaganda arm of the party!

58 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The conservative propaganda apparatus doesn't start and/or stop at Fox news and is quite effective at permeating normie space.

Dems don't have it because there is no propaganda arm of the party!

These people aren’t parroting right wing talking points, I’m explicitly talking about people who *don’t know anything* about Covid. They didn’t know anything about the vaccines until they got really sick and had a doctor explain it to them in person. They aren’t misinformed, they are uninformed. And I don’t know how that happens because I spend an inordinate amount of time intentionally learning things!

But I also legitimately couldn’t cook dinner for myself if needed because I’ve never done it, so *shrug*

I still see people thinking that they can build natural immunity from getting the virus, and don't need the vaccine as they'd rather get the virus to build natural immunity. How they still think that getting the virus means you can't get it again I don't know. 

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

I still see people thinking that they can build natural immunity from getting the virus, and don't need the vaccine as they'd rather get the virus to build natural immunity. How they still think that getting the virus means you can't get it again I don't know. 

something something chickenpox parties hurr durr

55 minutes ago, Brick said:

As of now natural immunity has been more effective at stopping infection than vaccine derived immunity. What we don’t know is how long that is the case, and how successful future variants will be at bypassing infection derived immunity.

Why would he post data that's five days old?

8p9rebj.png

The UK is trending down massively now (not to say the US won't see continued increases).

Edit - wait...it shows July 24 in his image, yet it's missing the downward trend from days before. Did he edit it to make the UK's slope look more scary?

19 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Why would he post data that's five days old?

8p9rebj.png

The UK is trending down massively now (not to say the US won't see continued increases).

Edit - wait...it shows July 24 in his image, yet it's missing the downward trend from days before. Did he edit it to make the UK's slope look more scary?

He just moved the right circle a little to the left.  To be fair, we don't know if the UK is in for a double peak (like the last wave) or if the current wave is really subsiding.

_119539437_leograsset-trending.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

A mysterious marketing agency secretly offered to pay social media stars to spread disinformation about Covid-19 vaccines

What the fuck. Who was behind this? Summary:

• Two YouTubers in Europe received emails with financial offers to push misinformation about the Pfizer vaccine, claiming it kills more people than AZ
  • BBC investigation found more YouTubers who received the email, including a few who went ahead with the deal
  • Tracing the money through different companies, they found that Fazze (offering company) was connected to AdNow, which is based jointly out of the UK and Russia
  • AdNow mentioned an "anonymous benefactor" who was funding the campaign

So effectively, dark money (from Russia?) has been behind some of the misinformation surrounding the danger of mRNA vaccines.

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:

As of now natural immunity has been more effective at stopping infection than vaccine derived immunity. What we don’t know is how long that is the case, and how successful future variants will be at bypassing infection derived immunity.

Yeah but that would require getting the virus to begin with, and no thank you. I'd much rather get the shot to protect myself than get the virus to protect myself from a future reinfection which also would put me at risk from lasting long term side effects. That's what these numbnuts don't seem to get. Why get the virus in the first place when you can just get a free shot to reduce your risk of getting it at all? Too many people are misinformed and uninformed about vaccines. 

People like the trash on Fox News, or Toe Rogan telling people that if you're young and healthy you don't need the shot, are just prolonging things getting back to normal. 

2 minutes ago, Brick said:

Yeah but that would require getting the virus to begin with, and no thank you. I'd much rather get the shot to protect myself than get the virus to protect myself from a future reinfection which also would put me at risk from lasting long term side effects. That's what these numbnuts don't seem to get. Why get the virus in the first place when you can just get a free shot to reduce your risk of getting it at all? Too many people are misinformed and uninformed about vaccines. 

People like the trash on Fox News, or Toe Rogan telling people that if you're young and healthy you don't need the shot, are just prolonging things getting back to normal. 

Your concluding sentence was “How they still think that getting the virus means you can't get it again I don't know.” and the answer is because you are exceedingly unlikely to based on the evidence, and currently less likely to be reinfected than to be infected after being vaccinated.

Kinda Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man to write that and then talk about people being uninformed :p 

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Your concluding sentence was “How they still think that getting the virus means you can't get it again I don't know.” and the answer is because you are exceedingly unlikely to based on the evidence, and currently less likely to be reinfected than to be infected after being vaccinated.

Kinda Spider-Man pointing at Spider-Man to write that and then talk about people being uninformed :p 

No it's not. These people I'm talking about aren't saying you have a lesser chance of being reinfected, they're saying they have NO chance of being reinfected, as in they have 100% immunity. They don't. 

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Based on?

How Immunity Generated from COVID-19 Vaccines Differs from an Infection

Antibodies elicited by mRNA-1273 vaccination bind more broadly to the receptor binding domain than do those from SARS-CoV-2 infection

These findings suggest that natural immunity and vaccine-generated immunity to SARS-CoV-2 will differ in how they recognize new viral variants. What’s more, antibodies acquired with the help of a vaccine may be more likely to target new SARS-CoV-2 variants potently, even when the variants carry new mutations in the RBD.

10 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Did you read your links, because they don’t disagree with what I stated and in fact don’t address what is being discussed. We have significantly more breakthrough infections in vaccinated people than in those with infection derived immunity, and it’s not even close.

13 minutes ago, Brick said:

No it's not. These people I'm talking about aren't saying you have a lesser chance of being reinfected, they're saying they have NO chance of being reinfected, as in they have 100% immunity. They don't. 

Nothing is 100%, but the probability of an event happening can be so remote that it can effectively be treated as such. Winning the power all lottery isn’t a 0% chance, but it is so close to it that you are throwing money away if you play thinking you could win. 

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

New data suggests a low risk of COVID-19 reinfection in the population.

Some of the best data has come from the UK on this, and after 4 million confirmed infections they have less than 16,000 possible reinfections and less than 500 probable reinfections. We are already seeing much higher percentages of fully vaccinated people having breakthrough infections.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Did you read your links, because they don’t disagree with what I stated and in fact don’t address what is being discussed. We have significantly more breakthrough infections in vaccinated people than in those with infection derived immunity, and it’s not even close.

Does this take into account the per capita levels of these populations? Just throwing out fake example numbers, but if there are 2x as many vaccinated as non-vaccinated people and the total breakthrough are 2:1, then that would seem to me to mean breakthrough infections are roughly equivalent (per capita). 

Also, regardless of this, as Brick said, if forced to choose, one of the following options is clearly better than the other:

• Get vaccine, have 90% reduced chance of catching the virus in the future
  • Get infected once, have 98% reduced chance of catching the virus in the future

The former is overall a much better proposition (and outlook for health) than the second.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Nothing is 100%, but the probability of an event happening can be so remote that it can effectively be treated as such. Winning the power all lottery isn’t a 0% chance, but it is so close to it that you are throwing money away if you play thinking you could win. 

opengraph-image-a1f7d89ffd0782738b1aeb0d
WWW.GOV.UK

New data suggests a low risk of COVID-19 reinfection in the population.

Some of the best data has come from the UK on this, and after 4 million confirmed infections they have less than 16,000 possible reinfections and less than 500 probable reinfections. We are already seeing much higher percentages of fully vaccinated people having breakthrough infections.

What study are you showing that demonstrates your point?

1 minute ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

What study are you showing that demonstrates your point?

I linked to the UK data showing reinfections, and you can see real time data in many places on current infections and the vaccination status. The UK last week had more confirmed fully vaccinated infections than their *possible* reinfections since the beginning of the pandemic.

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Does this take into account the per capita levels of these populations? Just throwing out fake example numbers, but if there are 2x as many vaccinated as non-vaccinated people and the total breakthrough are 2:1, then that would seem to me to mean breakthrough infections are roughly equivalent (per capita). 

Also, regardless of this, as Brick said, if forced to choose, one of the following options is clearly better than the other:

• Get vaccine, have 90% reduced chance of catching the virus in the future
  • Get infected once, have 98% reduced chance of catching the virus in the future

The former is overall a much better proposition (and outlook for health) than the second.

Yes, it’s per capita. And yes, I’d rather avoid infection in the first place :p 

42 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I linked to the UK data showing reinfections, and you can see real time data in many places on current infections and the vaccination status. The UK last week had more confirmed fully vaccinated infections than their *possible* reinfections since the beginning of the pandemic.

Again.  Their definition of "potential" reinfections are people who had a confirmed positive test more than 90 days apart.  That does not include individuals who had Covid, but did not have a test to confirm it.  Most experts have suggested that the # of people with an infection is as many as 8x the amount who test positive (particularly early on in the pandemic).

There are tons of virologists who believe the opposite of what you are saying, and tons who agree with it.  And tons more who say that we don't know for sure -- particularly where it comes to immunity durability, and protection from future variants.  Which is why it is being studied.

18 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Again.  Their definition of "potential" reinfections are people who had a confirmed positive test more than 90 days apart.  That does not include individuals who had Covid, but did not have a test to confirm it.  Most experts have suggested that the # of people with an infection is as many as 8x the amount who test positive (particularly early on in the pandemic).

There are tons of virologists who believe the opposite of what you are saying, and tons who agree with it.  And tons more who say that we don't know for sure -- particularly where it comes to immunity durability, and protection from future variants.  Which is why it is being studied.

Science is observational in nature, we don’t know what we have no observations for. What does seem to be clear in countries like the UK is they are catching for more cases than had been assumed and those multipliers are dropping over time. And when you look at the scale of current waves, it makes the plausibility of an 8X multiple drop considerably. Even antibody testing is coming under scrutiny as there is growing evidence of T and B cell immunity being the real factor in infection derived immunity.

XXWEQ7NBU5OU3IJMQZJF3NS3OQ.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The United States will not lift any existing travel restrictions "at this point" due to concerns over the highly transmissible COVID-19 Delta variant and the rising number of U.S. coronavirus cases, the White House confirmed on Monday.

• Like 1