~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

chief-justice-glenn-joyal.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

Manitoba's chief justice says he was followed by a private investigator in an attempt to catch him breaking COVID-19 rules in order to embarrass him while he is presiding over a court challenge related to the province's lockdown measures. 

Pretty wild stuff. He is presiding over a case challenging COVID-19 restrictions (started by seven churches). The lawyer representing the churches had the Chief Justice followed, including sending a young boy to the judge's door to see if he was home and confirm his residence. The goal was apparently to catch him breaking any rule at any point to discredit him and the rules. A dumb plan, obviously (after all, a judge can still rule on traffic tickets if they themselves have received a ticket before), but these types of whackos aren't known for their sound logic.

Joyal said this revelation will not influence his decision in the case, but said it would be "unthinkable" to not share it with the court because of its potential implications in the administration of justice.

After a break in the hearing, John Carpay, a lawyer representing the Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms, said it was his organization who had retained the private investigator to follow Joyal as part of their efforts to hold government officials accountable. 

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

A $100 in your hand immediately probably moves the needle more than maybe a ton of money or probably nothing.

Yup, especially if the issue is fear of missing a day of work because of the side effects. At the federal minimum wage $100 is basically paying for 13.33 hours of sick time to deal with the side effects, and more like 16 hours since it's $100 tax free. 

Vaccines are against nature in the same way that any fucking medical treatment is against nature. Growing food is against nature. Brushing your teeth is against nature.

Except, of course, none of that is against nature since we are all a part of nature, and everything we do is a part of it.

• Guillotine 1

6 hours ago, Joe said:
AgEXQTgyb1dXOGJBU1JtQ0p1bThXbXJubWcAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Six fully vaccinated people who attended an outdoor wedding in Texas came down with COVID-19. All the breakthrough infections were in guests over 50. There were two serious cases, including one...

Well this is quite the story.

"But it's outside, you don't need any other precautions!"

7 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I wonder if that chart speaks to the effectiveness of Pfizer/Moderna vs Astra Zeneca as far as the Delta variant goes.

I believe a lot of the infections are in unvaccinated people in areas that have significantly removed restrictions.  I think much of it also has to do with vacation culture during July/August in Europe -- with the Iberian peninsula being a popular destination.  I haven't seen any robust data that demonstrates the comparisons between the vaccines -- but it could be a factor.

8 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It's no secret that my province (Saskatchewan) is one of the worst in Canada. Here are a few facts about how we've fucked up our vaccination process (and how it relates to that tweet):

• Halfway through vaccination process, moved from well-run public mass-vax clinics to separate, private pharmacy system (with no central booking system)
  • No incentives for vaccination like neighbouring provinces:
    • No lottery (like Alberta or Manitoba)
    • No requirement to be vaccinated for certain events, or any encouragement by government for this (like requirement for Calgary Stampede, or Winnipeg Blue Bombers games)
    • Refusal to provide legal proof of vaccination through app or other means (Manitoba has vaccine app with QR code to prove status), making it impossible for private businesses to find proof

It's been very frustrating, because...no surprise, we have the lowest vaccination rate in Canada, and the highest hesitancy! Yes, we're still well-above the US, but we're well below places like BC or Quebec. SK is a bumfuck province with bumfuck people, and I hate it.

NS5LCNUNSQI6XJV5B24RYAZQLI.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

Michelle Fiscus, who led the Tennessee Department of Health's immunization program. says state GOP lawmakers were frustrated that she had advocated for letting teens decide whether to be vaccinated.

• Tennessee has a law that allows teens to get vaccinated, even without parental consent
  • Official passed this info along to teens to try and get more vaccinated
  • She was fired for it

Choice quote from Republican Hog Person:

State Rep. Scott Cepicky (R) criticized the health department for “targeting” the “impressionable youth” with advertising that promotes vaccination for teenagers, which he deemed “reprehensible.”

Mixing vaccines without evidence a ‘dangerous’ trend, WHO’s Soumya Swaminathan says

We receive a lot of queries from people who say they’ve taken one and they’re planning to take another one so it’s a little bit of a dangerous trend here where people are in a data-free, evidence-free zone as far as mix-and-match… there’s limited data on mix-and-match,” Swaminathan said.

So far, emerging studies have shown that administering the Pfizer mRNA vaccine after AstraZeneca (known as Covishield in India) is safe, and may even lead to a better immune response.

But faced with a shortage of vaccines, some countries are also considering mixing other vaccines.

For instance, Thailand has now changed its vaccine policy — deciding to mix China’s Sinovac with the AstraZeneca vaccine, instead of administering two doses of Russia’s Sputnik V vaccine.

“There are studies going on; we need to wait for that and maybe it will be a very good approach but at the moment we only have data on the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine followed by Pfizer,” Swaminathan said.

“So it will be a chaotic situation in countries if citizens start deciding when and who should be taking a second, third or fourth dose,” she added.

Responding to a question about the need for booster doses, Swaminathan said that if 11 high- and upper-middle-income countries decide to start administering a booster for their populations, they will require an additional 800 million doses of vaccine.

However, there is currently a need to prioritise doses for countries where the frontline and healthcare workers, as well as the elderly and the vulnerable have not yet been vaccinated.

“At this point when there is no scientific evidence to suggest that boosters are definitely needed, we have seen in some countries an increase in infections but no significant increase in hospitalisation or deaths and it may well be that you need boosters after a year or two years,” Swaminathan said.

“It has to be based on the science and the data, not on individual companies declaring that their vaccines should now be administered as a booster dose,” she added.

I have AZ followed by Moderna. I know lots of people in Canada are getting Pfizer followed by Moderna.

I mean, there have been studies in the UK on this, and it was found to be safe and effective (and possibly even more effective than using the same brand twice). Especially with Pfizer and Moderna, the method of providing immunity is near-identical. In the case of AZ+mRNA, it's like getting two, totally different methods of detection/protection. 

In any case, the strategy appears to have worked in the UK, as well as in Canada. 🤞

21 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, there have been studies in the UK on this, and it was found to be safe and effective (and possibly even more effective than using the same brand twice). Especially with Pfizer and Moderna, the method of providing immunity is near-identical. In the case of AZ+mRNA, it's like getting two, totally different methods of detection/protection. 

In any case, the strategy appears to have worked in the UK, as well as in Canada. 🤞

It is important to remember that studies aren’t evidence, studies compile and explain evidence.

There is lots of evidence, and the body evidence is rapidly growing

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There have not.  Studies have looked at the after-effects of using AZ followed by Pfizer in the UK - not a clinical trial.  Which she specifically points out that this evidence exists to support that combination.

Pfizer and Moderna are the same type of vaccine -- not the same vaccine.  Typically changing doses/dosing schedules needs to go through a clinical trial (even for emergency authorization) -- not just for safety, but more importantly to ensure we don't lose efficacy.  We may be altering efficacy or durability of these vaccines by not having the second dose following the timing/type in the clinical trial.  We just don't know -- which is her point.

That is fair. However, I think the preponderance of evidence is that giving two shots of different vaccines is safe (in that both are safe on their own, and there is no method of interaction), and is better than only getting one shot of one kind (or waiting months more to match up the type, during which time the virus continues to spread). More data and studies are a good thing, of course.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Trudeau says he'll leave domestic vaccine passports up to the provinces

Of course he will, it would be a shame to show any leadership just before an election.

At least we're getting a national vaccine passport, but it would be nice to have a domestic one as well. Hmm... couldn't places in Canada simply recognize the federal one? Especially in provinces like AB and SK where the governments refuse to create them?

Fuck people are monsters just to “look right” with the rest of the swamp creatures of the party. Far as I’m concerned, I would love to see them charged with endangering a life. Somehow after all the shit really starts hitting the fan. . . . .FUCK! I know we have wackos here in Canada like that, but their is no way we could ever come close to out stupidity a Republican American with Governmental Power.

I'm so fucking frustrated. We have seen record number of cases in Korea and are going back to lockdown. The government royally fucked up getting vaccines. It's impossible to get a jab. Last year the president balked at the price of vaccines and gambled that a Korean company would be able to develop their own vaccine. That never happened, so vaccines are just trickling in. My in-laws (in their 60s) have had their first jab and should get their second soon, but no idea when my wife and I can get mine.

In the meantime, I'm back to doing all my classes online.

• Like 1