~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Gottlieb has been saying a lot recently that the US will get to 85% immunity, it’s really just a question of how we get there.

Get your vaccines, it’s the much better way!

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

My long hauler symptoms have been worse then my actual bout of the disease itself. I remember last year of this week, I was on my vacation week from work. I always take it off for my bday and try to get a round of golf in with my buddies. Last year, both me and my mom were pretty much down for the count 5-7 days of low energy, insomnia, headaches, brain fog, sickening nausea, and no appetite at all. I took so much weed to help me feel slightly better from my aches/pains and in hopes of producing some sort of appetite and still got nothing. I have had probably had 4-5 more just like that since then and 2 of them were even worse then my first. The only thing it did do was make me thirsty as hell, and the only thing that went down nicely was potato/rice. My first shot has helped a little with my energy, headaches less frequent , and helped with some of my appetite coming back here and there. Still battle the nausea (especially in the morning) Insomnia is still an issue (my work anxiety didn’t help then either) Some brain fog still here and there (is was so bad I couldn’t remember the word spoon like Homer Simpson, same with my mom) Here’s hoping with this 2nd shot, they all fucking disappear for good. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Gottlieb has been saying a lot recently that the US will get to 85% immunity, it’s really just a question of how we get there.

Get your vaccines, it’s the much better way!

For sure. It's likely that most of the world will get to 85%+ eventually...it's just that getting there through mostly vaccination is going to cost far fewer lives.

14 minutes ago, Brick said:

Don't harsh my vibe, man. 

Given your health status, you probably have already developed very strong protection anyway :) 

4 hours ago, CayceG said:

I wonder if there's anything to the mix and match approach. I'm fully Pfizer'd up, but I wonder if I need a booster, I could get a J&J vax instead. 

The new mRNA boosters will be specifically targeted at the delta variant. I mean the J&J booster presumably will be too but given how well the mRNA targeting worked the first time around I feel like I'd still rather get one of those as the booster. 

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

The new mRNA boosters will be specifically targeted at the delta variant. I mean the J&J booster presumably will be too but given how well the mRNA targeting worked the first time around I feel like I'd still rather get one of those as the booster. 

they better include the new Lambda variant as well

We are pretty confident boosters are coming -- it's just how soon.  Not just because of variants -- in the past the durability of immunity from Coronavirus vaccines has been relatively short compared to other vaccines.

And the measure that some health professionals are using for efficacy -- protection from serious illness -- is different than what many laypeople assume efficacy measures should be -- protection from catching/spreading Covid.

12 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Well if people don't want to get the first shot because it's not FDA approved they certainly won't be wanting to get a booster shot the FDA says you don't need. :silly:

"It's not FDA approved" is going to quickly morph into "the Biden administration approved it illegally/ignoring science/whatever bullshit" so fast your head will spin

It's a complicated situation, but I err on the side of ignoring pharma companies completely when it comes to deciding if a drug or treatment is needed. I think they will be helpful, but that should be decided by independent review, not by the people making unlimited amounts of money off it.

EDIT - Also, while boosters may be helpful, or even needed, I think talking about that can wait until the entire world has access to their first two shots. Otherwise the western world is going to be on our boosters before some places in Asia and Africa get their first shots.

Very exciting news. Short version: it’s an oral medication that when administered early in a Covid infection shortens duration of illness and massively decreases hospitalization. Will be a necessary tool in both the wealthy countries where vaccination peters out way too low, and in poor countries who will be way behind on vaccinations.

Should see 3-5 such products available by the fall

Woke up early in the morning shivering. Couldn't tell if it was just because I was cold (had to turn my ceiling fan off, and put some socks on), or if I got a case of the chills from my shot yesterday. Other than that and a sore arm though I'm feeling pretty fine.

1 hour ago, Brick said:

Woke up early in the morning shivering. Couldn't tell if it was just because I was cold (had to turn my ceiling fan off, and put some socks on), or if I got a case of the chills from my shot yesterday. Other than that and a sore arm though I'm feeling pretty fine.

I’m dealing with my 2nd shot much better then my first as well. I just don’t know if it’s the shot, weather or allergies that have made my whole upper body stiff, little tiredness, headaches, and my arm still a little sore. First night I felt like a stroke victim with my entire left side (where I got my shot) just ached and tighten right up on me. Try to get some sleep but not lasting long right now and am dealing with the sweats as it’s doing its thing

1 hour ago, Brick said:

This is almost exactly what my second shot was like. Got the shot in the morning, was fine all day, then I wake up like 3am with bad chills and a headache/fever. Fell back to sleep after about an hour and was fine the rest of the day.

42 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:
?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brig
WWW.LATIMES.COM

California will continue to require masks in school settings, state health officials announced Friday.

The recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which also said schools should try and keep desks three feet apart

LOL the CDC is so full of shit on this. Masks are more effective than 3 feet of space.

And wasn't there something a couple of pages back about it being confirmed that, no duh, little kids are in fact a major transmission vector for COVID? The CDC is in pure fucking appeasement mode on this shit.