~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I think they got rid of the geographical names for the variants for the same reason they dumped them out for viruses years ago, don't want to stigmatize a country because that's where the new variant was discovered.

They were using names like b.1.1.1.7, b.1.352, p1 and b1.617.2 before the Greek letters.  They're already up to lambda -- so I think that naming convention might not have much time left in it... 

47 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is far more concerning than Delta itself. These are the people who would get destroyed even by the OG virus. Old and overweight is a terrible combination for any person coming into contact with any strain of Covid 😬

I have zero sympathy for anyone choosing not to get vaccinated at this point. They are just selfish shitty people. If they get COVID at this point they deserve it.

If they have some real legitimate reason, fine... but 99% of them are just selfish assholes.

• Like 1

If you're American, go get vaccinated. There is nothing to wait for. You can just walk into most places. Shots are widely available and it's easy and quick.

If you're not American, I don't know the situation, but do your best to go get vaccinated as quickly as you can. Please and thank you everyone.

DO YOUR PART! Protect yourself and others.

22 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

I think they got rid of the geographical names for the variants for the same reason they dumped them out for viruses years ago, don't want to stigmatize a country because that's where the new variant was discovered.

But how else can we belittle and shame the Chinese?!

28 minutes ago, ort said:

I have zero sympathy for anyone choosing not to get vaccinated at this point. They are just selfish shitty people. If they get COVID at this point they deserve it.

If they have some real legitimate reason, fine... but 99% of them are just selfish assholes.

Or, I suppose CRAZY idea in a world of social media, people who have been misled 

M.JPOST.COM

“Our re-analysis … suggests that for age 12-15 years, effectiveness reached 100% in dose-1, which is the same as dose-2,” the researchers wrote in their report.

For those with kids, looking like a single nRNA vaccine dose may be all they need. Good news for the ability to get total vaccine numbers up if we mandate Covid vaccines for school attendance as you can get it done faster with only one dose.

38 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
M.JPOST.COM

“Our re-analysis … suggests that for age 12-15 years, effectiveness reached 100% in dose-1, which is the same as dose-2,” the researchers wrote in their report.

For those with kids, looking like a single nRNA vaccine dose may be all they need. Good news for the ability to get total vaccine numbers up if we mandate Covid vaccines for school attendance as you can get it done faster with only one dose.

Davidovitch stressed that the research only applies to Pfizer vaccines and said that more examination is still required to draw any definitive conclusions. However, he said that providing one dose should be considered, especially in countries that have a shortage of vaccines.

It's not like supply is an issue in the US at this point but yes it would probably help if kids can be sent to school two weeks after their first dose instead of having to wait for the second dose.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's not like supply is an issue in the US at this point but yes it would probably help if kids can be sent to school two weeks after their first dose instead of having to wait for the second dose.

Yeah, it’s mostly just a timing issue here. Some districts are around 4-5 weeks from starting classes, so following the label guidance puts you right on track if you get your first dose today while 1 dose + 2weeks leaves more time to get kids ready

My wife wasn't feeling well this morning, so we got her tested...

Positive.

She did get the J&J vaccine back in April, and the data suggested it wasn't as effective as the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, but it should still prevent serious sickness.  So far she just has some discomfort, and hopefully it doesn't progress any further. 

I'm still negative and I feel well.  

Our daughter seems to be fairing well.  She was pretty tired most of yesterday, but otherwise in good spirits and she'll hopefully be over it completely soon.  

• Sad 10

1 minute ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

People, but especially younger people, are poor at risk assessment. Just because you are far less likely to die didn't mean that being sick is good! In fact it actually sucks ass

So what if you’re lactose intolerant? Split this sundae with me, you’re almost certain to not die.

40 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

In my area, the cohort that are least likely to get vaccinated are the Millennials.

Are you in the GTA? Toronto seems to be the giant outlier in Canada, where people 18-29 are one of the most vaccinated (something like 85%?). In my province, 18-29 are the least vaccinated (53%). Even the 12-17 age group has passed them (55%) despite having only been eligible the last few weeks.

SK breakdown (at least one dose)

• 80+ — 92%
  • 70-79 — 92%
  • 60-69 — 86%
  • 50-59 — 74%
  • 40-49 — 68%
  • 30-39 — 58%
  • 18-29 — 53%
  • 12-17 — 55%

So overall we are 70% for 18+, and 69% for 12+. Sure that's better than most of the world, but it's not great.

210621233036-florida-manatee-county-coro
WWW.CNN.COM

Two people are dead and four of their coworkers were hospitalized after a Covid-19 outbreak swept through a government building in Manatee County, Florida.

Only person who didn't end up in hospital was the sole person vaccinated in the office.

11 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Are you in the GTA? Toronto seems to be the giant outlier in Canada, where people 18-29 are one of the most vaccinated (something like 85%?). In my province, 18-29 are the least vaccinated (53%). Even the 12-17 age group has passed them (55%) despite having only been eligible the last few weeks.

SK breakdown (at least one dose)

• 80+ — 92%
  • 70-79 — 92%
  • 60-69 — 86%
  • 50-59 — 74%
  • 40-49 — 68%
  • 30-39 — 58%
  • 18-29 — 53%
  • 12-17 — 55%

So overall we are 70% for 18+, and 69% for 12+. Sure that's better than most of the world, but it's not great.

I am in the GTA (west of Toronto).

Peel (at least one dose):

80+ - 72.4%

75-79 - 80%

70-74 - 81%

65-69 - 81.9%

60-64 - 81%

55-59 - 80%

50-54 - 77.1%

45-49 - 73.3%

40-44 - 71.2%

35-39 - 68.3%

30-34 - 66.9%

25-29 - 75.1%

18-24 - 85.1%

12-17 - 59.8%

• Thanks 1

Yeah for the GTA/Ontario the better call out is specifically the 30-39 age group is sucking at vaccination.  I'm interested in a more specific deep dive on this group as to why they are lesser than others, I'm in this age group. I got my shot somewhat later than I would have liked to (mid May) because that was the soonest I was allowed to even get one being lumped in with everybody 18+ being lumped in all at once. =/ I' hopeful since I will qualify starting tomorrow for my second shot that the place I have it booked with will contact me to reschedule it sooner (their site says don't rebook, they will reach out for rescheduling).

16 minutes ago, chakoo said:

Yeah for the GTA/Ontario the better call out is specifically the 30-39 age group is sucking at vaccination.  I'm interested in a more specific deep dive on this group as to why they are lesser than others, I'm in this age group. I got my shot somewhat later than I would have liked to (mid May) because that was the soonest I was allowed to even get one being lumped in with everybody 18+ being lumped in all at once. =/ I' hopeful since I will qualify starting tomorrow for my second shot that the place I have it booked with will contact me to reschedule it sooner (their site says don't rebook, they will reach out for rescheduling).

I too did my part but the younger group numbers might be lower because they would be more of the front line like staff. So you wonder how many knew they could of gotten it sooner but would rather work to earn money. Plus a lot of them probably don’t have/afford the 3 days afterwards to recover from their shot (which I think everyone should get, after having my first) Also seems like more of the younger people would rather take a chance with pop up clinic sites then actually book an appointment date. 

18 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I think part of it could be availability.  Age 39 and below only recently we’re able to get the shot and availability seems tricky now.  Add to that the whole AstraZeneca fiasco broke just as they were able to book appointments.  That being said, how are the younger folks getting the shot more?  Are they more easily able to get appointments? Not working so they can stand in line for hours? Not sure

3 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

I think part of it could be availability.  Age 39 and below only recently we’re able to get the shot and availability seems tricky now.  Add to that the whole AstraZeneca fiasco broke just as they were able to book appointments.  That being said, how are the younger folks getting the shot more?  Are they more easily able to get appointments? Not working so they can stand in line for hours? Not sure

Hard to say. My guess is on more of them living in qualified hotspots and were hitting pop-up clinics more than other groups. Yet again that is just my guess from the groups you'd see lined up for pop-up clinics. 

The whole hotspot/postal code stuff also kind of made things a mess for some areas. I didn't qualify when it rolled out near me because I was on the north side of a major st so my postal code was not included when all the ones around me were. -.-

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
210621233036-florida-manatee-county-coro
WWW.CNN.COM

Two people are dead and four of their coworkers were hospitalized after a Covid-19 outbreak swept through a government building in Manatee County, Florida.

Only person who didn't end up in hospital was the sole person vaccinated in the office.

spacer.png

New variant called Delta Plus has been found. It's Delta with the spike protein mutation from the SA strain, and is believed to be even more transmissible: 

PYPUULVDLFI5ZBML3UV35CE4TA.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

India said on Wednesday it has found around 40 cases of the Delta coronavirus variant carrying a mutation that appears to make it more transmissible, and advised states to increase testing.

It honestly bums me out that I could walk into a pharmacy in any town in America and immediately get a damn near miracle shot  because we’ve got excess supply due to decreasing demand, and there are people in other countries dying with no chance of even getting a shot.