~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Last days of August. My friends both live in Burlington. I don't think we have a solid plan, we're just going to play by ear. I'm flying into Boston and out of Burlington.

Ah okay I'm going to be in Mt. Snow for a board game convention/Diplomacy tournament at the start of November. Used to be in Killington. Was just curious if that lined up at all on time and/or location but sounds like not.

23 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Noice! Assuming you like your grandmother. Where's the beach house?

I'm going to Vermont to visit my hetero life mate who I haven't seen in almost 2 years now. I also coincidentally have another friend who recently moved to Vermont, so I'll find a day to hang out with him, too. We're going to spend a couple nights in Boston and perhaps go to Montreal if the border is open by then.

Rehoboth Beach.  And she's not staying with me, I'll be on my own the whole week.

24 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Rehoboth Beach.  And she's not staying with me, I'll be on my own the whole week.

The first projection equipment I purchase for my first theater was from a theater in Rehoboth Beach. Spent a few hours there when I went and picked them up :) 

2 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Last days of August. My friends both live in Burlington. I don't think we have a solid plan, we're just going to play by ear. I'm flying into Boston and out of Burlington.

I'm a Burlington too. . . . just on the other better side:nottalking: Actually have a yearly friendship tournament with a baseball team (no idea age group but younger for sure) between my Burlington and Burlington, Vermont 

6 hours ago, SimpleG said:
skynews-jason-kelk-long-covid_5267049.jp
NEWS.SKY.COM

Jason Kelk died on Friday following his "brave decision" to withdraw his treatment after more than 14 months in intensive care.

Mrs Kelk said that when her husband's parents visited him following his decision to withdraw his treatment "the first thing he said to them was: 'I don't want to carry on, I want to die'."

"We all had a bit of a go but he wasn't going to change his mind," she added.

Mr Kelk had wanted to die at home but it was not possible to transfer him there, so he was moved to St Gemma's Hospice in Leeds.

Mrs Kelk said the family were unsure how long he would survive without a ventilator and it was "probably about an hour/hour and a half".

"It was very peaceful," she said. "His breathing just slowed down and then it stopped.

"His mum and dad were holding his hand. His sister was there. I was there. It was really lovely."

Jason Kelk pictured on his wedding day with wife Sue. Pic: Sue Kelk
Image:
Jason Kelk pictured on his wedding day with wife Sue. Pic: Sue Kelk
In her final words to her husband, Mrs Kelk told him "it was okay, that he'd fought the fight and he didn't need to fight anymore… we're here and we love you".

After Mr Kelk died, she said she stayed with her husband's body "talking to him and telling him I loved him".

"I had a lovely hour just me and Jason," Mrs Kelk added.

"He was my soulmate. We were opposite sides of the same coin - different but joined together."

In his final days, Mr Kelk had seen his grandchildren, stepchildren, some of his closest friends and his boss, as they said goodbye to him.

Jesus... 

Can't doctors refuse to stop treatment by claiming he's not in a sound state of mind? Being in treatment for that long he probably developed depression and became suicidal. 

11 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

<--- still wearing mask when out in public

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I still have to wear one 8 hours a day at work. Most stores I go to still regulate it. 

Yeah I still see employees wearing them at stores so I'll put mine on as well.

One of the core tenets of vaccine studies was to ensure that the efficacy of the vaccine.  All of the clinical testing of the current batch of vaccines has been with a second dose of a like-for-like vaccine (i.e. Pfizer first dose, Pfizer second dose).  All of the health guidance up to this point has been that you can't mix vaccines.

There have been some studies done in the past that show that mixing vaccine types (i.e. one viral vector vaccine, and one mRNA vaccine) can improve protection.

A week ago Canada started dosing people who had an AZ first shot with a second shot of Moderna.  This kind of makes sense because 1) there are some minor health concerns with younger people with regards to AZ (particularly after the second dose) and 2) we have an excess supply of Moderna.

Over the weekend, in Ontario, people who began arriving for their second dose of Pfizer were told they could only have Moderna (mixing and matching 2 vaccines of the same type).  And according to CTV, that will be people's only choice.  This is a decision made without any clinical studies demonstrating efficacy.

This whole issue could have been avoided if we had just followed the same fucking dosing strategy as the rest of the fucking world.

8dea0570-c8a7-11eb-8e5c-ab8d7f6fbc1e
WWW.GOOGLE.COM

The No. 3 ranked golfer in the world is back this week for the U.S. Open after testing positive for COVID-19 in the middle of the Memorial Tournament.

Rahm, speaking ahead of the U.S. Open this week at Torrey Pines, said he was partially vaccinated when he was pulled off Muirfield Village with a positive coronavirus test. He wasn’t out of the 14-day window required after receiving his final dose.

“I guess I wish I would have done it earlier, but thinking on scheduling purposes and having the PGA and defending Memorial, I was just — to be honest, it wasn't in my mind,” he said. “I'm not going to lie, I was trying to just get ready for a golf tournament. 

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I haven’t kept up with Canada, but is there evidence their vaccination strategy is not working?

Canada is still largely in a much stronger lockdown than the UK/US.  It is unclear how much of the reduction of cases can be attributed to vaccination or to the severity of the lockdown.

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Canada is still largely in a much stronger lockdown than the UK/US.  It is unclear how much of the reduction of cases can be attributed to vaccination or to the severity of the lockdown.

So is that a “there is no evidence”?

7 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

well it will be interesting to watch and see the number by mid July. As of the 1st of July. Alberta will lift all their health restrictions,  cause they had reached their provincial goal. I believe the week after or the one after that, Saskatchewan will be joining them in lifting restrictions. Ontario might head into phase 2 a couple days earlier then July 2nd date it has now. I believe that allows stores in malls without a direct exit to outside, can reopen at a limited capacity. We still can’t even get a haircut at the moment, and some barbers shave moved the chairs outside the shops to get around the still in place restrictions. Movie theatres probably won’t be open until late August at the earliest.

although @sblfilmsit does seem like the overall strategy is paying off. Our numbers are down across the country, and over 80% of adults have at least one shot and I believe close to 22-23% of the country is fully vaccinated. My area is considered one of several hot spots because of the Delta variant, and allows some people to register for a 2nd shot faster then others. Where I got my puppy on the weekend from, is now considered the hot spot for Delta variant in the Waterloo/Kitchener area. Big open market down there but with some indoor facilities for food buying pavilions. Stopped by there 3 weeks ago when we picked the little bugger, and waited 30 minutes just to get in the market afterwards. It’s always busy and people come from everywhere to shop, and easy reason why it’s now as hot spot

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

So is that a “there is no evidence”?

There is no evidence, at this point, that changing the dosing strategy provided any benefit, nor any cost.  Those studies are probably years away.

There is always a non-zero risk whenever you start administering vaccines to millions of people in a way that has had no clinical studies.

14 minutes ago, silentbob said:

well it will be interesting to watch and see the number by mid July. As of the 1st of July. Alberta will lift all their health restrictions,  cause they had reached their provincial goal. I believe the week after or the one after that, Saskatchewan will be joining them in lifting restrictions. Ontario might head into phase 2 a couple days earlier then July 2nd date it has now. I believe that allows stores in malls without a direct exit to outside, can reopen at a limited capacity. We still can’t even get a haircut at the moment, and some barbers shave moved the chairs outside the shops to get around the still in place restrictions. Movie theatres probably won’t be open until late August at the earliest.

although @sblfilmsit does seem like the overall strategy is paying off. Our numbers are down across the country, and over 80% of adults have at least one shot and I believe close to 22-23% of the country is fully vaccinated. My area is considered one of several hot spots because of the Delta variant, and allows some people to register for a 2nd shot faster then others. Where I got my puppy on the weekend from, is now considered the hot spot for Delta variant in the Waterloo/Kitchener area. Big open market down there but with some indoor facilities for food buying pavilions. Stopped by there 3 weeks ago when we picked the little bugger, and waited 30 minutes just to get in the market afterwards. It’s always busy and people come from everywhere to shop, and easy reason why it’s now as hot spot

I haven't seen any study/modelling that shows the impact of the shutdown vs. the vaccinations.

If we had followed the dosing strategy we would would be at ~42% of people fully vaccinated.  Instead we are at 67% partially vaccinated and 19% fully vaccinated.  I haven't seen any study/modelling that demonstrates that one approach is better than the other.

Here is a person sharing their family’s personal experience with a death of a child post second dose of the Covid vaccine. There are some fairly consistent bits in all the stories, but seems very rare. Hopefully they can figure out better treatment for the kids who do have this adverse reaction much like they did with the blood clotting issue.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Here is a person sharing their family’s personal experience with a death of a child post second dose of the Covid vaccine. There are some fairly consistent bits in all the stories, but seems very rare. Hopefully they can figure out better treatment for the kids who do have this adverse reaction much like they did with the blood clotting issue.

SB my daughter is under 7 years old and had COVID.

I will fight any insinuation or insistence that she get vaccinated, especially in the wake of time, study, and the mere fact that since somebody left office science seems to have become just a little bit more scientific.    

I am vaccinated.  My wife is vaccinated.  Our daughter had it.  That's our home.  I'm done.  

Definitely some vaccine preference here, which is stupid. People want Pfizer, even though Moderna is identical. I'm waiting outside a walk-in clinic right now (wife is getting her second dose) and they just told the line that it's not Pfizer (as reported on the site), it's Moderna today. Some people were upset, but I convinced them to stay. 

In Canada you can get any vaccine for your second shot (interchangeable) since the method of action is the same and studies show it's safe.

I'm sure I'm going to have a mess to deal with this weekend with getting my in laws for their second vaccine that I have booked (they got Pfizer and will most likely be given Moderna based on the booking just simply saying "18+"). I'm sure eventually they will be fine with what they are given. I personally already have a first shot of Moderna and don't care what my second is as long as I can get it asap.

I really wish we had a better government in Ontario that would have handled vaccinations as a single health unit and not the shit show they saddled the cities with. 

4 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

This is far more concerning than Delta itself. These are the people who would get destroyed even by the OG virus. Old and overweight is a terrible combination for any person coming into contact with any strain of Covid 😬

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Let's start making bets on how many times the WHO will change the naming convention....

I think they got rid of the geographical names for the variants for the same reason they dumped them out for viruses years ago, don't want to stigmatize a country because that's where the new variant was discovered.