~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

19 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

If you’re fully vaccinated and have a normal BMI, you super don’t have to worry.

If you’re fully vaccinated and moderately overweight, you have minimal worry.

if you’re fully vaccinated and very overweight, you have a still small but measurable worry.

I feel attacked.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

If the 40% of the people who are unvaccinated use all of the available ICU beds -- hope that you / no one you love needs one.

We never ran out of bed capacity in the US even during the worst of the winter wave, despite a ton of fear mongering that it was imminent and the hospitals were prepping to cut care to those least likely to survive. One thing the US is actually good at in health care is flexing up emergency/critical care.

I think ScottyG is likely on the money here. We simply won’t have the widespread and mass scale of outbreak in the upcoming fall/winter relative to this past fall/winter. Very interested to see when/of booster doses are suggested. Would be a bit surprised if it’s less than 12 months from 2nd dose, but it’s possible it could be sooner with a tweaked mRNA dose to better protect against variants like Delta.

3 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I think ScottyG is likely on the money here. We simply won’t have the widespread and mass scale of outbreak in the upcoming fall/winter relative to this past fall/winter. Very interested to see when/of booster doses are suggested. Would be a bit surprised if it’s less than 12 months from 2nd dose, but it’s possible it could be sooner with a tweaked mRNA dose to better protect against variants like Delta.

None have us can see the future.

I argued long and hard that schools should remain open because Covid wasn't spread by kids.  The alpha variant proved me wrong.

I guess we'll know in a month.

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

The social media "im vaccinated, look at my vax card" posts are so ridiculous. A lot of patting each other on the back. And im not saying thats what you're doing, I just happen to see a lot of people doing it for non-existent Social Media points. Its weird to me to see people post about getting a needle. 

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The social media "im vaccinated, look at my vax card" posts are so ridiculous. A lot of patting each other on the back. And im not saying thats what you're doing, I just happen to see a lot of people doing it for non-existent Social Media points. Its weird to me to see people post about getting a needle. 

with so many people reluctant to get the vaccine, the more people posting that they did the better. 

56 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

It's actually a great tool because:

• It does no harm
  • It normalizes the acceptance of (and celebration of) vaccination

13 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

That's great, but other places could use it more:

Maybe send some to Europe since their vaxx numbers are pretty low; but overall with Novavax coming it seems like it makes sense to start filtering what goes where based on the complexity of the cold chain requirements.

This (short) article hits hard:

1623950514129.jpg
WWW.AXIOS.COM

And it won't always be easy to say no.

We've talked about this issue before, though more in the sense of people being afraid or anxious about returning to activities. This article is more about how we've realized over the last year and a half that we just don't like doing certain things, and maybe it's okay to think about changing what we say yes to.

I don’t know that there’s been another time in modern history that we’ve all had time to go home and think," says Mark Leary, a psychology professor at Duke University. "We’ve realized that there’s a certain portion of our social interactions that were never all that rewarding."

It's certainly true for me. Each year since I was a small child, my family hosts two Christmas events (eve, and day). The Xmas Eve party is a big event, and the host is always in rotation. It used to be that there were around 20-30 people (my mom's 5 siblings and their spouses/kids), but now that my 11 cousins have their own spouses and kids...it's ballooned to 50-100 people, depending on the year. A few of my uncles are quite well off, and they have basements that are effectively like bars. So 100 people crammed into a bar for Xmas Eve is not my ideal situation. I've always gone because I have to go. But now? At best, I will pop in for 15-20 minutes to make the rounds, and leave. I don't want to invest my social energy into something I don't find enjoyable or rewarding.

The same is true of other events. I love hanging out with my 2-3 close friends, and I hope that soon we will transition from our online board game nights back to in-person events. But I have no desire to go back to my work's division-wide, in-person events. I don't need to be around 200-1,000 people for some stupid year-end crap. So much nicer to just be able to mute a Teams meeting or video stream.

Much in the same way we appear to be witnessing some kind of re-ordering of the workplace (with people quitting their jobs in record numbers, apparently over conditions and pay), I wonder if we'll see a soft change in the types of events that people agree to take part in. People have developed their own hobbies and comforts in the past year, and I know that at least for myself, I don't want to give them up to be around people I don't really care for.

You'll also realize going back to the office the range of hygiene, people who wear sandals, farts, dealing with driving out to lunch, people being loud, whistlers, singers, ego drivers, etc all suck.

Did anyone actually have time to discover new hobbies? I've been so busy it's been non stop. 

57 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

You'll also realize going back to the office the range of hygiene, people who wear sandals, farts, dealing with driving out to lunch, people being loud, whistlers, singers, ego drivers, etc all suck.

Did anyone actually have time to discover new hobbies? I've been so busy it's been non stop. 

I'm going back to the office 3 days a week soon and even though I like my job well enough and the commute will be fine (I'll even get to ride my bike part way to work just to avoid dealing with parking!) and that I'll be in a brand new extremely nice office with a gym and all those things I am still considering getting a full time remote job because the quality of life it affords for me is almost entirely worth it. Working on the porch, playing with my kid or switch when I'm not busy, and just getting more time with my family. That's the good shit.

2 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Our team has been split up for the better part of a year and a half.  Later this year, we are moving into our new office building and will be one team again.  The nerf wars will be lit.  Most of my coworkers are pretty good about hygiene, which is nice.  

On 6/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, CitizenVectron said:
gettyimages-1322590538_wide-7acd18aff271
WWW.NPR.ORG

The latest toll from Johns Hopkins University comes nearly four months after the nation crossed the half-million mark for deaths from the coronavirus pandemic.

Of course, that's the highest reported death toll. Realistically, it is very likely that many more have died in India (like over 1 million), but they are not able to (or willing to) track that properly.

I bet China way under reported their death toll as well. Russia also under reported infections and deaths, though probably not enough to beat out the US. 

My first Pfizer shot sort of kicked my ass from last week for about 2.5 days. I was tired, sore and wasn’t hungry. I’m hoping my 2nd shot won’t be as bad as the first one. I guess/hoping they were right that having Covid makes your 1st the worst, but if you didn’t it would be the 2nd shot

• Shocked 1

21 hours ago, silentbob said:

My first Pfizer shot sort of kicked my ass from last week for about 2.5 days. I was tired, sore and wasn’t hungry. I’m hoping my 2nd shot won’t be as bad as the first one. I guess/hoping they were right that having Covid makes your 1st the worst, but if you didn’t it would be the 2nd shot

I woke up hot, dizzy, extremely sore, and tired. I hope this passes soon.