~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

The United Kingdom currently has very similar vaccination rates to the US (in fact, they have more people vaccinated if you consider the amount of people with one dose) -- and still they are seeing a new wave forming -- and continuing to grow.  Cases haven't been declining in the US for a couple of weeks now -- and have stabilized at a relatively high level.  Without higher vaccination rates or further restrictions -- the UK experience with delta is probably a preview of what will happen in the US in 3-4 weeks.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is the new UK wave confined to only people who aren't vaccinated or is it spreading across the board? 

I believe this includes partial/fully inoculated people as well, because they were talking about how effective the AZ and Pfizer shots seem to be so far.  Was reading that they were happy that the shots were working against the disease in keeping them out of the hospital (in general) with more serious cases of the Covid. 

7 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

We're heading for yet another wave because of this Delta variant.  And this time, there's no chance in hell there will be any lockdowns or mitigating circumstances, because the anti-vaxxers have also been so insistent on opening back up.

And people with vaccination will say "I did my part, time to live again!"

13 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

We're heading for yet another wave because of this Delta variant.  And this time, there's no chance in hell there will be any lockdowns or mitigating circumstances, because the anti-vaxxers have also been so insistent on opening back up.

My wife's friend in Oregon is anti-vax, and she said she is already challenging stores that force unvaxxed people to wear masks.  Kind of a butthole move.

• Guillotine 1

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Is the new UK wave confined to only people who aren't vaccinated or is it spreading across the board? 

It is primarily unvaccinated and partially vaccinated people.  However, there is still some evidence that fully vaccinated people can catch/spread delta -- although the risks of symptoms/hospitalization/death appear to be significantly lower.

2 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

It is primarily unvaccinated and partially vaccinated people.  However, there is still some evidence that fully vaccinated people can catch/spread delta -- although the risks of symptoms/hospitalization/death appear to be significantly lower.

For sure. Once the people who want to be fully vaccinated are able to do so, then the real damage is going to be the rest of the population, whatever percentage that is. It makes me mad that something so easy to address and fix as a society, we aren't able to do because of whackjobs and the politicians that cater to them.

16 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yes, certainly! But, if there is a true fourth wave, then we still need to be careful.

I obviously don't want things to actually get bad again but ngl I would kind of enjoy all the assholes who've been screaming doomer at anyone calling for some amount of caution in how we reopen having to eat shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

For sure. Once the people who want to be fully vaccinated are able to do so, then the real damage is going to be the rest of the population, whatever percentage that is. It makes me mad that something so easy to address and fix as a society, we aren't able to do because of whackjobs and the politicians that cater to them.

And it's not even just the whacko red states. California at least held to its original target of June 15 for dropping the mask mandate but look at how states like NJ and NY dropped it pretty much the second that botched CDC announcement happened.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

And it's not even just the whacko red states. California at least held to its original target of June 15 for dropping the mask mandate but look at how states like NJ and NY dropped it pretty much the second that botched CDC announcement happened.

Yeah and cases have been absurdly low in both states since it happened.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jason said:

The fact that everything is now partisan makes me pretty hopeless for society's future. If we can't even convince people that a virus should be stopped (or is even real), how can we fight/deal with things like climate change, or upcoming water shortages? I can already see the GOP wackos in Nevada in 2027:

"So Las Vegas just said we need to ration water because there might not be enough to last the summer. Does anyone else think that is bullshit? It rained a month ago, where did that water go? I am going to leave my shower running 24/7 to own the libs. It's time we kick out the city council and libtard mayor!"

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Just looked up NJ and it's following the national trend of plateuing, which isn't great. 

Plateauing in and of itself is not bad. It depends where the plateau happens and cases are very low.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Plateauing in and of itself is not bad. It depends where the plateau happens and cases are very low.

It appears it's a plateau because delta is going up while alpha is going down. Cases are going down basically everywhere in the US (it's summer!) but there's still a large number of people unvaccinated who can get delta and cause cases to spike

37 minutes ago, Jason said:

I obviously don't want things to actually get bad again but ngl I would kind of enjoy all the assholes who've been screaming doomer at anyone calling for some amount of caution in how we reopen having to eat shit.

And even then they'll still think it's a hoax.

The level of Covid circulating in the UK is well below a moderate flu season and not projected at this point to hit that level even with the much higher transmissibility. This is another area where the “it’s just the flu” types kinda screwed things up in the way we use comparisons.

I keep seeing people talking about 10k case a day nationwide as a still high number…and it’s just not.

In the US you can walk into a place and get a shot same day almost everywhere here. We are at a point where your health outcomes are your own choice for the vast majority of the country. I don’t want anybody to suffer needlessly, but it’s pretty much your call if you do with a relatively small (and shrinking) subset of people for whom it isn’t.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Kind of insane thinking.

In the UK, Delta now represents 96% of current cases. 

The new case count is ~25% higher than the peak of the first wave -- and still rising (up 38% from prior week).  Still significantly below the peak from Alpha wave.

Hospital admissions this week are up 48% over prior week. 

Deaths (a lagging indicator) have not increased.

If you’re fully vaccinated and have a normal BMI, you super don’t have to worry.

If you’re fully vaccinated and moderately overweight, you have minimal worry.

if you’re fully vaccinated and very overweight, you have a still small but measurable worry.