~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Got 2nd shot this afternoon. Stiff neck and upper back a bit, sore shoulder, but otherwise fine. My wife had her 2nd shot, was sick for 24-36 hours (Fever, weak, sore, tired), but she didn't start to feel off until middle of night. Hoping I don't react that strongly to it, but better than alternative.

1 hour ago, Gavin King said:

Got 2nd shot this afternoon. Stiff neck and upper back a bit, sore shoulder, but otherwise fine. My wife had her 2nd shot, was sick for 24-36 hours (Fever, weak, sore, tired), but she didn't start to feel off until middle of night. Hoping I don't react that strongly to it, but better than alternative.

It seems women tend to react more negatively, though I've known plenty of men who had a rough couple days. I slept like 15 hours the night after getting the second shot but otherwise didn't really have any effects

I thought it was an interesting idea that maybe rich nations shouldn’t be using doses on kids when we have actual emergencies in other nations

2 hours ago, Uaarkson said:

Getting my 2nd Moderna today. As someone who has spent a not insignificant amount of time withdrawing from heroin in the past, I’m not really looking forward to it.

Always prepare for the worst, but for what it's worth I think the number of people I know who got wrecked after their second shot is far less than the people who just had mild side effects. I didn't have much other than just being really tired the next day.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Possible, but highly unlikely, especially after vaccination.

Does the vaccination itself help prevent those infected from spreading it, or less likely due to the amount of vaccinations administered to the population? 

12 minutes ago, heydude93 said:

Does the vaccination itself help prevent those infected from spreading it, or less likely due to the amount of vaccinations administered to the population? 

I'm not sure about spreading after infection. Based on what I've read though, you're less likely(far, far less likely) to be infected after vaccination, so that in itself is huge in stopping transmission.

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I'm not sure about spreading after infection. Based on what I've read though, you're less likely(far, far less likely) to be infected after vaccination, so that in itself is huge in stopping transmission.

One thing that kind of gives of a sense of the likelihood of transmission is that the CDC has been saying for a couple of months now I think, maybe longer, that you don't have to quarantine after an exposure if you're vaccinated. I'm pretty sure it's just for if you have prolonged exposure to someone with COVID, not if you're confirmed COVID-positive.

Like I said months ago, ain’t no medical reason to wear masks indoors after vaccination. That is a separate issue from the public health reasons to, but those are waning over time

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Meanwhile, 7 fully vaccinated Yankees have tested positive.

That has nothing to do with vaccination and everything to do with God’s judgement against the evil empire

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Like I said months ago, ain’t no medical reason to wear masks indoors after vaccination. That is a separate issue from the public health reasons to, but those are waning over time

That has nothing to do with vaccination and everything to do with God’s judgement against the evil empire

Though I hate to say this in agreement with an Astros fan, you took the words right out of my mouth.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

How long until some deep red starts start making it illegal to wear masks?

It's already illegal in some southern states to wear face coverings, laws that were written to curb the influence of the Klan, and had to be suspended for the pandemic.

8 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's already illegal in some southern states to wear face coverings, laws that were written to curb the influence of the Klan, and had to be suspended for the pandemic.

It's illegal too in NYC I think, not sure if it was about the Klan.

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

"You can walk around the grocery store maskless if you're vaccinated" is incredibly dumb for some incredibly obvious reasons.

yeah this is dumb. the unvaccinated people will just say they are vaccinated lol. 

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's illegal too in NYC I think, not sure if it was about the Klan.

I just remember just before the pandemic for Lobby Day in VA there was a large right wing rally where some goobers were wearing masks and weren't arrested but a single counter protestor was and charged under this statute. Normal stuff 

We are rapidly approaching the point at which those who really want to be vaccinated have been, and there is no reason for

vaccinated people to worry about Covid. Breakthrough infections are so low that there are literally dozens of things you do each week more likely to result in death or serious injury.

Continuing many of the restrictions in place ends up just being punitive to those who did the right thing and got the shots

merlin_186492381_109892a1-f9fe-498e-ae9d
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

Much has been said about people opposed to or skeptical of coronavirus vaccines. But there’s another group that has yet to get shots, and their reasons are more complex.

According to a new U.S. census estimate, some 30 million American adults who are open to getting a COVID vaccine have not yet managed to actually do so, compared to 28 million who said they probably or definitely would not get a vaccine. The group who are willing to get the vaccine but have not are primarily working class people who contend with jobs and family obligations and who live in households with incomes of less than $100,000 a year. Some have health issues or disabilities, many face language barriers, and others don’t have a regular doctor. The Biden administration has allocated $6 billion to health centers that serve low-income populations, inked a deal with Uber and Lyft to offer free rides, and offered a tax break to businesses that give employees paid time off to be vaccinated in efforts to close this gap.

I haven't gotten it yet simply because I am still happily isolating and I am a big ol procrastinator.

Also, to be fair, the availability has shifted in a pretty short time from being hard to get to them being eager to give it to you. I also got mixed messages about living in one state, but kind of having to get a dose in another.

But some places in town went to walk-ins this week, so I am planning on getting my first dose next Tuesday.