Jump to content

~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~


Recommended Posts

Just now, Jason said:

 

wat

 

My province is rolling out appointments to different age groups. For example, 42+ was on Wednesday, and 40+ is today. So you can't book and appointment until your age group is up. Last week they announced that education workers (and some others) would be eligible today, but pharmacies in the pilot program would take reservations early. So I called last week. But I never heard back, so I called this morning, and the guy said that since I'd called before my group was eligible (I am only 36, and at the time it was 44+), my reservation was cancelled.

 

But then a few hours later the original woman I spoke to called me back and asked if I still wanted it, so I said yes! She must have taken names and numbers down of education workers and then reserved enough so that she could call us back today. ❤

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, I think I read it the way Jason seemed to which is that they cancelled your appointment because you called today, but you meant they cancelled the appointment already based on your age, not as punishment for calling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Haha, I think I read it the way Jason seemed to which is that they cancelled your appointment because you called today, but you meant they cancelled the appointment already based on your age, not as punishment for calling.

 

Ah, haha! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Getting Team Pfizer™ at 1:48pm today.

 

I left my name last week at a pharmacy that was doing a pilot project (right now only the government is giving vaccines here), but never heard back. This morning I called and asked if I was still eligible, and they said since I called before my group (educational workers) was up, my reservation was cancelled. :(  However, they just called me and said I was set for today...so yay!

 

They cancelled because you dared to call and inquire about it? 

 

EDIT: Oh I see it's been addressed already. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Haha, I think I read it the way Jason seemed to which is that they cancelled your appointment because you called today, but you meant they cancelled the appointment already based on your age, not as punishment for calling.

 

Yes that's what I was taking it as. :p

 

I was like, 

 

ron burgundy GIF

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the shot! Now once my wife gets hers, I will feel a weight off my shoulders.

 

It's dumb that I got mine before she got hers. Her immune system is below low-normal, but because she hasn't been on immunosuppressants for two years, she doesn't qualify as "extremely vulnerable." But her therapy (effectively chemo) wiped it out and now, even two years later, it's not back to normal.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • UpDoot 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

With Ontario opening up vaccines to all adults by the end of May, I wonder when I'll be able to get my second shot of I'm able to get an appointment for my first right away. My girlfriend got her first shot last month, but won't get her second until July 4th. I hope I don't have to wait as long as four months. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Brick said:

With Ontario opening up vaccines to all adults by the end of May, I wonder when I'll be able to get my second shot of I'm able to get an appointment for my first right away. My girlfriend got her first shot last month, but won't get her second until July 4th. I hope I don't have to wait as long as four months. 

 

Supply ramps up massively in June:

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's one country whose overall demographic trends simply cannot support a significant number of "excess deaths", it's this one:

 

E4NZ57JQL5IFVP2K63XLNIUS3A.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Russia recorded more than 400,000 excess deaths from last April to this March during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Reuters calculations based on data from the state statistics agency published on Friday.

 

  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Alberta is the Alabama of Canada. Or maybe Florida. Either way it's full of regressives.

 

 

AB has double the cases per capita of anywhere else in Canada.

 

 

 

And their ultra right-wing government doesn't care. Hell, half of the cabinet travelled out of Canada for Christmas holidays when it wasn't allowed.

 

Ford is a moron, but Kenney is evil incarnate.

  • SARS-CoV-2 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


This is really great news as it means we probably only need to get to around 60% to see the numbers completely fall off the face of the earth in the US. That is very doable before ever having to get into the “don’t want it” group.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:


This is really great news as it means we probably only need to get to around 60% to see the numbers completely fall off the face of the earth in the US. That is very doable before ever having to get into the “don’t want it” group.

PA has reached the thresholds of 50% partially vaccinated, and 33% fully.  Numbers are dropping, but still above what they were in early March.  Maybe by Memorial Day we'll be down to last-summer low levels?

Link to post
Share on other sites


Israel has nearly thwarted Covid with less than 60% vaccinated. This is really great news for all nations as it means we can beat this thing much more rapidly than some assumed, with Fauci and others suggesting we may need 80% vaccinated to go back to normal.

 

The scientists who made these vaccines should win the Nobel in medicine for next 10 years. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sblfilms said:


This is really great news as it means we probably only need to get to around 60% to see the numbers completely fall off the face of the earth in the US. That is very doable before ever having to get into the “don’t want it” group.

They have seen their numbers drop dramatically, but it hasn't gone away.  The Israel death/infection rate is still hovering around where Canada/UK/Germany/France/etc. were in June/July/August of last year.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They have seen their numbers drop dramatically, but it hasn't gone away.  The Israel death/infection rate is still hovering around where Canada/UK/Germany/France/etc. were in June/July/August of last year.  

Their 7 day average of new cases continues to drop in half roughy every 2 weeks. They will be on track to have under 20 new cases a day in mid June, and will likely see no deaths by that time as well. 
 

Who cares where those countries were in the middle of last year pre-vaccine? Completely irrelevant tbh.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw that doctor's tweet on my Twitter timeline and I thought it was weird that he chose 5 neighboring US states to make his point ignoring the role seasonality plays in this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Their 7 day average of new cases continues to drop in half roughy every 2 weeks. They will be on track to have under 20 new cases a day in mid June, and will likely see no deaths by that time as well. 
 

Who cares where those countries were in the middle of last year pre-vaccine? Completely irrelevant tbh.

 

Well, it could matter if the drop in cases is seasonal (as was the case in Canada/UK/Germany/etc last summer. It doesn't appear that way, but we can't completely rule it out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sblfilms said:

Their 7 day average of new cases continues to drop in half roughy every 2 weeks. They will be on track to have under 20 new cases a day in mid June, and will likely see no deaths by that time as well. 
 

Who cares where those countries were in the middle of last year pre-vaccine? Completely irrelevant tbh.

It provides context for the level of their numbers.  Their numbers are low when compared to the large waves we are seeing now, but certainly not close to going away.

While I've heard some doctors talk about the virus going away at those levels, I've heard many infectious disease experts express the exact opposite opinion.  Particularly with the risk of new variants making Covid more infectious -- and eventually making the current vaccines less effective.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@AbsolutSurgenmy apologies for the last post. That last bit was a little to terse. I’ve but up all night building a screen at one of the drive ins and 35 year old me just isn’t built for all nighters anymore 😂

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Seychelles has 66% fully vaccinated and has roughly doubled it's per million case amount since hitting 50% to about ~930 cases per million today. It's a small population so who knows what inferences you can draw here just thought this was interesting

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not seasonality :p The media conditioning to continue he thinking the worst is warping the quite obvious

 

It's not all seasonality*

 

It's also not all vaccinations.

 

There is an interplay between the two that we do not fully understand yet (plus other variables too). The true test will be in the winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Seychelles has 66% fully vaccinated and has roughly doubled it's per million case amount since hitting 50% to about ~930 cases per million today. It's a small population so who knows what inferences you can draw here just thought this was interesting


Despite large vaccination rates, they have comparatively small infection derived immunity. They had almost no measurable infections until January 2021! 
 

Same reason a place like New Zealand will probably need to be in that 80%+ range to achieve the same level of immunity that countries like the US and UK can hit with 60-65% vaccinations.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joe said:

 

It's not all seasonality*

 

It's also not all vaccinations.

 

There is an interplay between the two that we do not fully understand yet (plus other variables too). The true test will be in the winter.


It’s not seasonality leading to much more dramatic drops in the places that have higher vaccination rates. The trend is so consistent there really is no reason to downplay the significance high vaccination rates are quite obviously playing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:


It’s not seasonality leading to much more dramatic drops in the places that have higher vaccination rates. The trend is so consistent there really is no reason to downplay the significance high vaccination rates are quite obviously playing.

 

Look at the drops at the end of April 2020 in states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Not trying to be a debbie downer, fam, but seasonality's role can't be ignored here! I'm not saying this is all seasonality though or even majority seasonality; just that it has a significant role in what is currently happening.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Joe said:

 

Look at the drops at the end of April 2020 in states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Not trying to be a debbie downer, fam, but seasonality's role can't be ignored here! I'm not saying this is all seasonality though or even majority seasonality; just that it has a significant role in what is currently happening.

 


You are comparing things that aren’t actually comparable. There is a masssssive difference in the seeding of the virus in April 2021 compared to April 2020. This is what the seasonality arguments completely ignore! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone who used to work for me who has family back in India had his family ravaged by it recently. “Only” his father passed away, which is an odd thing to say except for the fact that his father, mother, all his aunts and uncles, and more, all came down with it and all of them ended up hospitalized. It’s awful.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...