~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Getting Team Pfizer™ at 1:48pm today.

I left my name last week at a pharmacy that was doing a pilot project (right now only the government is giving vaccines here), but never heard back. This morning I called and asked if I was still eligible, and they said since I called before my group (educational workers) was up, my reservation was cancelled. :(  However, they just called me and said I was set for today...so yay!

They cancelled because you dared to call and inquire about it? 

EDIT: Oh I see it's been addressed already. 

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Haha, I think I read it the way Jason seemed to which is that they cancelled your appointment because you called today, but you meant they cancelled the appointment already based on your age, not as punishment for calling.

Yes that's what I was taking it as. :p

I was like, 

ron burgundy GIF

• Haha 2

Got the shot! Now once my wife gets hers, I will feel a weight off my shoulders.

It's dumb that I got mine before she got hers. Her immune system is below low-normal, but because she hasn't been on immunosuppressants for two years, she doesn't qualify as "extremely vulnerable." But her therapy (effectively chemo) wiped it out and now, even two years later, it's not back to normal.

• Like 1

With Ontario opening up vaccines to all adults by the end of May, I wonder when I'll be able to get my second shot of I'm able to get an appointment for my first right away. My girlfriend got her first shot last month, but won't get her second until July 4th. I hope I don't have to wait as long as four months. 

16 hours ago, Brick said:

With Ontario opening up vaccines to all adults by the end of May, I wonder when I'll be able to get my second shot of I'm able to get an appointment for my first right away. My girlfriend got her first shot last month, but won't get her second until July 4th. I hope I don't have to wait as long as four months. 

Supply ramps up massively in June:

• Like 1

If there's one country whose overall demographic trends simply cannot support a significant number of "excess deaths", it's this one:

E4NZ57JQL5IFVP2K63XLNIUS3A.jpg
WWW.REUTERS.COM

Russia recorded more than 400,000 excess deaths from last April to this March during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to Reuters calculations based on data from the state statistics agency published on Friday.

• Shocked 1

Alberta is the Alabama of Canada. Or maybe Florida. Either way it's full of regressives.

AB has double the cases per capita of anywhere else in Canada.

And their ultra right-wing government doesn't care. Hell, half of the cabinet travelled out of Canada for Christmas holidays when it wasn't allowed.

Ford is a moron, but Kenney is evil incarnate.

This is really great news as it means we probably only need to get to around 60% to see the numbers completely fall off the face of the earth in the US. That is very doable before ever having to get into the “don’t want it” group.

14 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is really great news as it means we probably only need to get to around 60% to see the numbers completely fall off the face of the earth in the US. That is very doable before ever having to get into the “don’t want it” group.

PA has reached the thresholds of 50% partially vaccinated, and 33% fully.  Numbers are dropping, but still above what they were in early March.  Maybe by Memorial Day we'll be down to last-summer low levels?

Israel has nearly thwarted Covid with less than 60% vaccinated. This is really great news for all nations as it means we can beat this thing much more rapidly than some assumed, with Fauci and others suggesting we may need 80% vaccinated to go back to normal.

The scientists who made these vaccines should win the Nobel in medicine for next 10 years. 

11 hours ago, sblfilms said:

They have seen their numbers drop dramatically, but it hasn't gone away.  The Israel death/infection rate is still hovering around where Canada/UK/Germany/France/etc. were in June/July/August of last year.  

9 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

They have seen their numbers drop dramatically, but it hasn't gone away.  The Israel death/infection rate is still hovering around where Canada/UK/Germany/France/etc. were in June/July/August of last year.  

Their 7 day average of new cases continues to drop in half roughy every 2 weeks. They will be on track to have under 20 new cases a day in mid June, and will likely see no deaths by that time as well. 

Who cares where those countries were in the middle of last year pre-vaccine? Completely irrelevant tbh.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Their 7 day average of new cases continues to drop in half roughy every 2 weeks. They will be on track to have under 20 new cases a day in mid June, and will likely see no deaths by that time as well. 

Who cares where those countries were in the middle of last year pre-vaccine? Completely irrelevant tbh.

Well, it could matter if the drop in cases is seasonal (as was the case in Canada/UK/Germany/etc last summer. It doesn't appear that way, but we can't completely rule it out.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It provides context for the level of their numbers.  Their numbers are low when compared to the large waves we are seeing now, but certainly not close to going away.

While I've heard some doctors talk about the virus going away at those levels, I've heard many infectious disease experts express the exact opposite opinion.  Particularly with the risk of new variants making Covid more infectious -- and eventually making the current vaccines less effective.

@AbsolutSurgenmy apologies for the last post. That last bit was a little to terse. I’ve but up all night building a screen at one of the drive ins and 35 year old me just isn’t built for all nighters anymore 😂

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not seasonality :p The media conditioning to continue he thinking the worst is warping the quite obvious

It's not all seasonality*

It's also not all vaccinations.

There is an interplay between the two that we do not fully understand yet (plus other variables too). The true test will be in the winter.

28 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Seychelles has 66% fully vaccinated and has roughly doubled it's per million case amount since hitting 50% to about ~930 cases per million today. It's a small population so who knows what inferences you can draw here just thought this was interesting

Despite large vaccination rates, they have comparatively small infection derived immunity. They had almost no measurable infections until January 2021! 

Same reason a place like New Zealand will probably need to be in that 80%+ range to achieve the same level of immunity that countries like the US and UK can hit with 60-65% vaccinations.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

It's not all seasonality*

It's also not all vaccinations.

There is an interplay between the two that we do not fully understand yet (plus other variables too). The true test will be in the winter.

It’s not seasonality leading to much more dramatic drops in the places that have higher vaccination rates. The trend is so consistent there really is no reason to downplay the significance high vaccination rates are quite obviously playing.

13 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not seasonality leading to much more dramatic drops in the places that have higher vaccination rates. The trend is so consistent there really is no reason to downplay the significance high vaccination rates are quite obviously playing.

Look at the drops at the end of April 2020 in states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Not trying to be a debbie downer, fam, but seasonality's role can't be ignored here! I'm not saying this is all seasonality though or even majority seasonality; just that it has a significant role in what is currently happening.

18 minutes ago, Joe said:

Look at the drops at the end of April 2020 in states like Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New Jersey. Not trying to be a debbie downer, fam, but seasonality's role can't be ignored here! I'm not saying this is all seasonality though or even majority seasonality; just that it has a significant role in what is currently happening.

You are comparing things that aren’t actually comparable. There is a masssssive difference in the seeding of the virus in April 2021 compared to April 2020. This is what the seasonality arguments completely ignore! 

Someone who used to work for me who has family back in India had his family ravaged by it recently. “Only” his father passed away, which is an odd thing to say except for the fact that his father, mother, all his aunts and uncles, and more, all came down with it and all of them ended up hospitalized. It’s awful.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

You are comparing things that aren’t actually comparable. There is a masssssive difference in the seeding of the virus in April 2021 compared to April 2020. This is what the seasonality arguments completely ignore! 

Fair! The Rt in NJ is below .5 now, which is just unbelievably low. Just sayin that seasonality has a significant role in all this that we do not fully understand yet.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

You're absolutely right -- vaccination plays a huge role.  And, I don't think anyone has yet demonstrated seasonality plays a role in Covid waves.

However, infectious disease experts admit they don't know why some areas have been hit much harder than others.  They cannot explain why Minnesota and Michigan were hit so hard by B.117, while most other states weren't.  Vaccination rates don't seem to be the only factor.  

Michael Olsterholm has a good science based podcast devoted to COVID -- he can ramble a bit, but in last week's episode he discussed some of these issues with some level of depth (interesting part starts at ~9:30 mark).