~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Look, if we're not gonna get a TRIPS waiver for vaccine IP then we should Marshall Plan vaccines, treatments, and PPE for the world. Get this shit taken care of by EOY or mid '22 at the absolute latest. It's the absolute least we can do and be able to say "we tried everything we could"

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Look, if we're not gonna get a TRIPS waiver for vaccine IP then we should Marshall Plan vaccines, treatments, and PPE for the world. Get this shit taken care of by EOY or mid '22 at the absolute latest. It's the absolute least we can do and be able to say "we tried everything we could"

Absolutely. Mass produce vaccines, put an American flag on the crate, and provide them for free to the developing world.

5 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

“The Democrats are always sending aid to foreign countries instead of helping reeuhl Amuricans”

It's amazing how much "blame the foreigners for taking the jobs, not the companies who are choosing to pay for them" comes up all the time. This is crawling up that category.

8 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

“The Democrats are always sending aid to foreign countries instead of helping reeuhl Amuricans”

Maroons think foreign aid is like 20% of the national budget. I think it's actually 0.2%--and I checked, 1.2% actually.

4 minutes ago, ThreePi said:

The endless cynic in me sees a situation where Modi rejects or destroys the supplies because accepting it is acknowledging the problem and his failure.

The even greater cynic in me has doubted all of the covid numbers from India since the beginning. No one cares when poor people die there. You think they're going to waste resources on an autopsy for an untouchable?

19 minutes ago, Uaarkson said:

Yet those people also want to stop immigration. Well...if the countries the immigrants were coming from were good places to live...then maybe they wouldn't want to come to America? 

Unfortunately you can't reason with morons.

11 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

How soon until the anti-vaxxer crowd pounces on this?

I'm sure they already are. It's just like the anti-seatbelt brigades in the 70s/80s—they will pounce on any aberrant circumstances (like a seatbelt trapping you after going over a bridge into icy water) to demonstrate that the entire effort is pointless...even though they are providing exceptions that prove the rule.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Our province just (kind of) announced that restrictions will be eased once we reach 75% of the pop with a single dose. So far I think we've exceeded that number with 50+ age groups (only 40+ can be vaccinated at the moment). Uptake has been good, hopefully it keeps up with younger groups.

You're way ahead of us -- in Peel we don't have a single age group at 75% with at least a single dose.  Current status.

18-24 -- 5.5%

25-29 -- 7.8%

30-34 -- 7.4%

35-39 -- 8.2%

40-44 -- 11.8%

45-49 -- 15.1%

50-54 -- 38.7%

55-59 -- 46.9%

60-64 -- 61.7%

65-69 -- 65.8%

70-74 -- 70%

75-79 -- 71.2%

80+ -- 65.4%

48 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

You're way ahead of us -- in Peel we don't have a single age group at 75% with at least a single dose.  Current status.

18-24 -- 5.5%

25-29 -- 7.8%

30-34 -- 7.4%

35-39 -- 8.2%

40-44 -- 11.8%

45-49 -- 15.1%

50-54 -- 38.7%

55-59 -- 46.9%

60-64 -- 61.7%

65-69 -- 65.8%

70-74 -- 70%

75-79 -- 71.2%

80+ -- 65.4%

I was actually a bit off:

Saskatchewan first doses:

30-39 -- 10%

40-49 -- 25%

50-59 -- 57%

60-69 -- 75%

70-79 -- 84%

80+ -- 87%

But still pretty good (overall, 80% of people 60+ have at least one dose. 40% of those 18+ have one dose). As of right now there is general eligibility (meaning you can make an appointment or show up at a drive-thru clinic) for anyone 42+ (lowers to 40+ tomorrow, as well as for police, firefighters, grocery/pharmacy workers, educational workers, etc). The reason some people under 40 have their shots is because they are either healthcare workers, or have an extreme vulnerability.

One of my coworkers is taking a trip to Hawaii in a couple weeks. From my understanding they're just requiring negative tests before and after you land. He's not vaccinated. I'm like bruuuuh I get it, we all want to go on vacation. You couldn't have it wait another month or two?

Getting Team Pfizer™ at 1:48pm today.

I left my name last week at a pharmacy that was doing a pilot project (right now only the government is giving vaccines here), but never heard back. This morning I called and asked if I was still eligible, and they said since I called before my group (educational workers) was up, my reservation was cancelled. :(  However, they just called me and said I was set for today...so yay!

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Getting Team Pfizer™ at 1:48pm today.

I left my name last week at a pharmacy that was doing a pilot project (right now only the government is giving vaccines here), but never heard back. This morning I called and asked if I was still eligible, and they said since I called before my group (educational workers) was up, my reservation was cancelled. :(  However, they just called me and said I was set for today...so yay!

wat

Just now, Jason said:

wat

My province is rolling out appointments to different age groups. For example, 42+ was on Wednesday, and 40+ is today. So you can't book and appointment until your age group is up. Last week they announced that education workers (and some others) would be eligible today, but pharmacies in the pilot program would take reservations early. So I called last week. But I never heard back, so I called this morning, and the guy said that since I'd called before my group was eligible (I am only 36, and at the time it was 44+), my reservation was cancelled.

But then a few hours later the original woman I spoke to called me back and asked if I still wanted it, so I said yes! She must have taken names and numbers down of education workers and then reserved enough so that she could call us back today. ❤

Haha, I think I read it the way Jason seemed to which is that they cancelled your appointment because you called today, but you meant they cancelled the appointment already based on your age, not as punishment for calling.