~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

32 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Month over over the 7 day average is down about 12% in TN. This is how it will likely go for the slower vaccine rollout states, 10-15% declines month over month the next couple of months, while faster states are about to see the numbers fall right off a cliff in mid May. It is unfortunate that we have all the resources but maybe not the will to win.

I'm curious as to where you see this. 

This is a daily data dump a guy makes based on state reporting data. Green lines are 7-day moving averages. We're flat. 

evjjd3du9lv61.png

23 minutes ago, CayceG said:

I'm curious as to where you see this. 

This is a daily data dump a guy makes based on state reporting data. Green lines are 7-day moving averages. We're flat. 

evjjd3du9lv61.png

You can see it in the chart in the bottom left.  A month ago the 7 day average was around 1200 and it’s now 1050 or so. It’s “flat” relative to the entirety of the pandemic, but it isn’t actually flat month over month though it may indeed bottom out and stay in that ~1000 cases/day range for the foreseeable future.

If I had to make a wager I would bet on it continuing to slowly decrease in that 10% month over month rate in May and June.

If your only calculus is risk to self, Rogan is right. But vaccination isn’t just about risk to self, it’s about stopping as many people as possible from being potential nodes of spread. But one needs to have some sense of civic responsibility to embrace that idea, and the sort of people who are really into Rogan’s show don’t strike me as having much care for the well-being of others.

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Local, little-known academic advises young people not to get the vaccine:

I’ve never actually listened to Joe Rogan. All I know of him are the clips and memes from Reddit, so forgive this incredibly hot take, but he strikes me as the Alex Jones of the progressive left.

4 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I’ve never actually listened to Joe Rogan. All I know of him are the clips and memes from Reddit, so forgive this incredibly hot take, but he strikes me as the Alex Jones of the progressive left.

He is popular with a weird assortment of people you definitely don’t want to be friends with

42 minutes ago, Joe said:
VM.TIKTOK.COM

Yeah, not great. I mean, it's not horrible (in the sense that the US considers its current infection rate pretty good), but it's horrible by the standard Canada is trying to hold itself to without comparison to the US.

Also obviously better to hit a higher infection rate when most people 60+ have been vaccinated, rather than last year.

58 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But one needs to have some sense of civic responsibility to embrace that idea, and the sort of people who are really into Rogan’s show don’t strike me as having much care for the well-being of others.

You need to think like you eat more elk meat.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah, not great. I mean, it's not horrible (in the sense that the US considers its current infection rate pretty good), but it's horrible by the standard Canada is trying to hold itself to without comparison to the US.

Also obviously better to hit a higher infection rate when most people 60+ have been vaccinated, rather than last year.

Let us gloat about something, damn it!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

No.  Our infection rate is pretty horrible.  We've been in lockdown since November 23rd, we're in our second state of emergency during the lockdown, the military has been called in to help our hospitals -- including the field hospital that is being set up in a parking lot, and B1617 is now just starting to appear and has been detected in Ontario, BC and Alberta.  How is it not "horrible"?

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

No.  Our infection rate is pretty horrible.  We've been in lockdown since November 23rd, we're in our second state of emergency during the lockdown, the military has been called in to help our hospitals -- including the field hospital that is being set up in a parking lot, and B1617 is now just starting to appear and has been detected in Ontario, BC and Alberta.  How is it not "horrible"?

I meant not horrible in comparison to the US, where they have similar infection rates but think it's a success (since theirs has dropped a lot to get there). As I said in the post you quoted, it's horrible by the standard we are trying to hold ourselves to.

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

He has had alt-right dudes on his podcast. 

35 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

He has had alt-right dudes on his podcast. 

That in of its self shouldnt be an issue, its thats he doesnt do anything other then allow them to become infomercial of their own bull shit. He just is not a smart guy and he cant call them out without showing is own ignorance. 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Is there something in the YouTube algo that, like mouth agape thumbnails, boosts performance for videos with “x destroys y” in the title?

Sort of, people realized that videos with facial emotion got more clicks, and the race to the most overly reactive thumbnail began

6 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

I will say this:

Having to wear a mask in public places while hanging with family is great, because I don't have to worry about how my smile looks.

I've had a busted front tooth since last March - don't give a shit. And I'll go like 10 days without shaving.