~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

16 minutes ago, Brick said:

I didn't even think about it not being fully FDA approved, but that makes sense that it is new and emergency use. 

Not that I don't expect it to be, but what would happen if the vaccine(s) aren't FDA approved? What would cause them to not get approval? 

FDA approval is a long and arduous process.  If they don't receive approval, they will be removed from market.  They would not get approval if the FDA deems them to either not be safe or effective.

25 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Governments have done a very poor job at communicating relative risk, and differentiating between low/high risk behaviours. 

It is really unfortunate. I think we likely exacerbated “pandemic fatigue” in the US by discouraging activities that have been clearly low risk since last spring which just ends with more people doing the high risk activities once their give-a-damn ran out.

13 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

FDA approval is a long and arduous process.  If they don't receive approval, they will be removed from market.  They would not get approval if the FDA deems them to either not be safe or effective.

So then if that did happen what about the people that already got a shot? 

Again I don't think it's likely the FDA will deem them unsafe, but I can only imagine the chuds never shutting up about, "see I told you it wasn't safe".

12 minutes ago, Brick said:

So then if that did happen what about the people that already got a shot? 

Again I don't think it's likely the FDA will deem them unsafe, but I can only imagine the chuds never shutting up about, "see I told you it wasn't safe".

It depends on what was found.  That would be going very far into speculation.

I'm feeling much better this morning. The side effects from my second dose on Saturday were largely the same as the first dose. Sore arm, swollen armpit (today) and fatigue. Although the fatigue was much stronger this time around. I ended up spending most of yesterday in bed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

I'm feeling much better this morning. The side effects from my second dose on Saturday were largely the same as the first dose. Sore arm, swollen armpit (today) and fatigue. Although the fatigue was much stronger this time around. I ended up spending most of yesterday in bed.

I won a Troll game in your honor the other day. You're welcome.

• Thanks 1

Fuck yes

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. will begin sharing its entire pipeline of vaccines from AstraZeneca once the COVID-19 vaccine clears federal safety reviews, the White House told The Associated Press on Monday, with as many as 60 million doses expected to be available for export in the coming months. The move greatly expands on the Biden administration's action last month to share about 4 million doses of the...

Tagging @sblfilms since I know he's as big a proponent of this as I am.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

95% of the population has 1/3 of a change at understanding probability anyway.

I still remember taking my first prob/stats course in college and at the end of it thinking it is utterly criminal this is not required learning to graduate high school. Just reading the front page of the news paper is transformed when you have a basic understanding of what these numbers mean...and maybe more importantly what they DON’T mean.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I still remember taking my first prob/stats course in college and at the end of it thinking it is utterly criminal this is not required learning to graduate high school. Just reading the front page of the news paper is transformed when you have a basic understanding of what these numbers mean...and maybe more importantly what they DON’T mean.

If I could add things to the high school curriculum...

1) Stats

2) Basic finance

3) Home ec that includes cooking, sewing, and some other third thing that I usually bitch about and now cannot remember

Just now, Kal-El814 said:

1) Stats

2) Basic finance

3) Home ec that includes cooking, sewing, and some other third thing that I usually bitch about and now cannot remember

Taking away time to study for how to take standardized tests sorry it's gotta be cut

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

1 minute ago, Kal-El814 said:

1) Stats

2) Basic finance

Replace calculus with a stats/probability course as the capstone high school math class. That year of high school level calculus is pretty useless if you're not proceeding on to something where you need that under your belt.

16 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:
Centner-Academy-Exteriors_1.jpg?w=1500
MIAMI.CBSLOCAL.COM

The owners of a Miami private school want its teachers and employees not to get the COVID-19 vaccine, citing a debunked anti-vaccination theory.

"No one knows exactly what may be causing these irregularities, but it appears that those who have received the injections may be transmitting something from their bodies to those with whom they come in contact.”

The school, which charges almost $30,000 a year per student

A fool and his money ....

• Haha 1

3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. will begin sharing its entire stock of AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines with the world once it clears federal safety reviews, the White House said Monday, with as many as 60 million doses expected to be available for export in the coming months. The move greatly expands on the Biden administration's action last month to share about 4 million doses of the vaccine with Mexico and Canada. The AstraZeneca vaccine is widely in...

10 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Tennessee just lifted all our restrictions. 

Two cities have indoor mask mandates, but that's it. The governor even rescinded the ability for counties to establish mask mandates. 

Pandemic's over. 

I love the right-wing thought process. 

"If you want to stay at home or wear a mask, go for it, but the rest of us will live our lives!"

Small town decides to mandate masks, or work-from-home

"Fuck you fascists, you have no right to wear masks!"

It’s been a month since Abbott ditched Covid restrictions including the mask mandate aaaaand

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/test-positivity-rates-for-tmc-hospital-systems/

things are fine. The Houston area as an example has had 34 consecutive days of sub 5% positivity rates. Vast majority of people still masking up indoors from my anecdotal observations. Still would have preferred to keep restrictions into May to give more incentive to people to get vaccinated, but the doomsday predictions regarding infections were wrong.

A quick look around the country and the same pattern is emerging pretty much everywhere: declining case counts and all the  associated benefits like lower hospitalizations and deaths. My hunch is that individual behaviors are largely baked into the cake regardless of what the actual policies are as we head into the 14th month of the Covid era in most states.

The most important thing at this point in public policy won’t be restrictions, it will be figuring out how to get more people vaccinated before the fall and winter when everybody is forced back indoors.

5 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s been a month since Abbott ditched Covid restrictions including the mask mandate aaaaand

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-updates/test-positivity-rates-for-tmc-hospital-systems/

things are fine. The Houston area as an example has had 34 consecutive days of sub 5% positivity rates. Vast majority of people still masking up indoors from my anecdotal observations. Still would have preferred to keep restrictions into May to give more incentive to people to get vaccinated, but the doomsday predictions regarding infections were wrong.

A quick look around the country and the same pattern is emerging pretty much everywhere: declining case counts and all the  associated benefits like lower hospitalizations and deaths. My hunch is that individual behaviors are largely baked into the cake regardless of what the actual policies are as we head into the 14th month of the Covid era in most states.

The most important thing at this point in public policy won’t be restrictions, it will be figuring out how to get more people vaccinated before the fall and winter when everybody is forced back indoors.

Numbers here are not decreasing. We've been holding steady in positivity rate (4-6%), deaths (about 10 per day), new cases (about 1,000 per day), recovered cases (also about 1,000 per day), and as a consequence of those last two, we've had a steady number of active cases of about 12,000 to 13,000 since February. 

Here, it's not going down. We've reached a stasis. 

8 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Numbers here are not decreasing. We've been holding steady in positivity rate (4-6%), deaths (about 10 per day), new cases (about 1,000 per day), recovered cases (also about 1,000 per day), and as a consequence of those last two, we've had a steady number of active cases of about 12,000 to 13,000 since February. 

Here, it's not going down. We've reached a stasis. 

Month over over the 7 day average is down about 12% in TN. This is how it will likely go for the slower vaccine rollout states, 10-15% declines month over month the next couple of months, while faster states are about to see the numbers fall right off a cliff in mid May. It is unfortunate that we have all the resources but maybe not the will to win.