~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

58 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

I think we should give the vaccines to India and others, but this is borderline bonkers to basically say America "owes" India these doses.

It seems like India social media believes it’s owed because India provided Trump that drug he pedaled to his supporters that cures covid but instead kills you and it’s now US turn to reciprocate. Not many Modi is at fault tweets in those threads. US should lift the export ban to India since they are a necessary ally in Asia and this gesture can support our fake humanitarian image. 

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The funniest bit is that last line, the big threat being other countries creating life saving treatments for cancer and heart disease

GIF by Justin

(a reminder that the AZ vaccine was supposed to be open source before AZ bought it from Oxford, also Bill Gates made a looooot of money from it, and also the governments footed the bill for most of the R&D, so pharma companies saying they need to "recoup costs" or whatever are completely and utterly full of shit and need to go fuck themselves with a screwdriver)

12 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Bill Gates made a looooot of money from it

Are you talking about this ?

meter-false.jpg
WWW.POLITIFACT.COM

False claims about the Gates Foundation’s connection to the novel coronavirus know no borders. In a May 6 Facebook post,/> <meta name=

or something else?

2 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

Are you talking about this ?

meter-false.jpg
WWW.POLITIFACT.COM

False claims about the Gates Foundation’s connection to the novel coronavirus know no borders. In a May 6 Facebook post,/> <meta name=

or something else?

It's one of those "where there's smoke" situations. The Gates Foundation was absolutely instrumental in swinging Oxford to sell their vaccine to Astra Zeneca. The Gates Foundation is a very large donor to Oxford. No one disputes those things. Then they "partnered" with a pharmaceutical company and also Bill Gates' estimated wealth went up by $10 billion.

But if you think that it wasn't about money, I want some of what you're smoking.

WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

During the search for money, Bill Gates pushed Gilbert and Hill to partner with a big pharmaceutical company, and as a CEPI founder he had leverage. “We went to Oxford and said, you are doing brilliant work,” Gates recalled in a call with reporters in early June. “You really need to team up, and we told them a list of people to go and talk to.”

The Oxford team was initially reluctant, Hill says, because they’d run plenty of trials on their own. “What we struggle against all the time is the perception from funders that we can’t do this,” he says. They held talks with several potential partners, whom he declined to name, asking them two questions: How much can you manufacture, and by when? “They didn’t answer either of those questions no matter how many times we asked,” Hill recalls.

• Guillotine 1

Yay!

1610760175_untitled-design-89.jpg
WWW.NEWS18.COM

After a pressure mounted on President Joe Biden administration to allow export of key raw materials for the manufacture of Covid-19 vaccine to India which is witnessing a massive spike in coronavirus cases, the United States has finally agreed to supply materials for the Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) to boost the production of Covishield vaccine.

50 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

But if you think that it wasn't about money, I want some of what you're smoking.

I never even hinted at that I simply asked the question. There is enough Bill Gates conspiracy theories its hard to know what's true and what isn't.

20161018_CL_ND_03.jpg?itok=TuIFFf7a,
WWW.PRINCETON.EDU

All students enrolled or otherwise present on campus for the upcoming 2021-22 academic year will be required to receive, and to provide proof of having received, a...

Hopefully this becomes common (with the exception of a very small % of people who are medically unable to be vaccinated).

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.PRINCETON.EDU

All students enrolled or otherwise present on campus for the upcoming 2021-22 academic year will be required to receive, and to provide proof of having received, a...

Hopefully this becomes common (with the exception of a very small % of people who are medically unable to be vaccinated).

I mean, people are already required to get like polio and hepatitis shots before going to middle school, so it's a no brainer. Anti-vax people have been using a religious loophole to get out of it, though, if I recall. If that's the case, someone is bound to challenge this in court.

Mortal-Kombat-Demon-Slayer.jpg?w=1000
DEADLINE.COM

Domestic box office showing further signs of life post 'Godzilla vs. Kong' as 'Mortal Kombat' & 'Demon Slayer' set to make $20M each.

Once better movies and capacity limits go north of 50%, the theater business is gonna soar. I think a lot of other large gathering events are going to do big business this summer.

11 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
WWW.PRINCETON.EDU

Reminds me of what I saw the other day but the FDA approval seems to be the key word.

In Ontario, there have been 448,861 people who tested positive for COVID-19.  This is the fatality rate for each  age groups -- fatality rate is likely lower that reported for younger people as the denominator excludes asymptomatic/mildly symptomatic people who were never tested.  

Fatality Rate
<20   0.01%
20s   0.02%
30s   0.05%
40s   0.12%
50s   0.44%
60s   1.84%
70s   7.49%
80s   19.00%
90+   28.25%
Average   1.77%
  • Thanks 1

Governments have done a very poor job at communicating relative risk, and differentiating between low/high risk behaviours. 

The way masks have been politicized has been one of the largest problems.  They are a very important tool at reducing the number of cases transmitted in public settings.  Cloth facemasks, however, do not prevent you from spreading Covid, nor do they provide meaningful protection if you have sustained/close contact with an infected person.

However, most people I talk to either believe:

1)  Masks do nothing

2)  It is OK to do risky behaviours because people are wearing masks

6 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Reminds me of what I saw the other day but the FDA approval seems to be the key word.

I didn't even think about it not being fully FDA approved, but that makes sense that it is new and emergency use. 

Not that I don't expect it to be, but what would happen if the vaccine(s) aren't FDA approved? What would cause them to not get approval?