~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

35 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

One thing I just thought of too is that based on KFF data, there's not a state with a significant Black or hispanic population where the % Black or hispanic population has received a similar % of vaccines to match population. As an example, I saw a map of Chicago from today where the south and west side of the city (largely Black and Hispanic areas) largely have fewer than 36 total first shots per 100 residents in many areas where as the North side (white) is well over 60 per 100 in many zip codes. (I'd link the images from twitter but the account is private right now)

So there's a lot of people who are fairly willing to get shots (based on polling) who haven't had the ability or access to get them yet. 

Absolutely. As I noted with states like Alabama and Mississippi, the share of Black residents getting the vaccine is shameful and it’s likely exacerbated by the higher prevalence of rural distribution of the Black population in those states. So they get dinged on the racial issue AND the urban/rural issue. Hesitancy is a small issue for the Black population, but access is the much larger one at the moment. Definitely an area for the Biden admin to focus on over the next few months now that we are vaccine rich and demand poor-ish.

Just made my pre-booking to get a shot. Educational staff in my province are in the next phase (along with people aged 40), and should be getting shots next Thu/Fri, so I am registered for a callback next week on the specific date/time. Technically I'm support staff since I am in IT, but I guess I fall into the eligibility, so I am not going to refuse or feel guilty!

Also, interesting analysis out of the UK:

vaccine_ethnic_minority_patients_pa-5749
WWW.BMJ.COM

Infections of SARS-CoV-2 fell by 65% after a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, preliminary results from a large UK surveillance study indicate. Reductions increased to 70% after a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, data from the UK Covid-19 Infection Survey show. Not enough people had yet received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to assess this. The survey, carried out by the...

AZ and Pfizer show similar effectiveness in real-world application. As I've suspected for some time, it appears that all of the four major western vaccines are about equally effective in the real world, and the major difference for the trial disparity was the timing/location of the trials themselves (with the mRNA vaccine trials taking place before the variants and during a lull, and the AZ/J&J trials taking place post-variant, and during the second wave).

My dumbass little brother went out partying for his 21st birthday and got covid. He’s diabetic too. So god damn stupid. He’s currently in the hospital getting a monoclonal antibody treatment. I’m quarantining because I was just doing dabs with him in his car the other day :| half his friends probably have it too.

9 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Why did I wait until after I got the shot to read doomsday articles on the dangers of spreading the doses to a 4 month span? Is Canada going to destroy the world and ruin everything for everybody by creating a super strain or am I wearing a tin foil hat?

Mostly a tin foil hat. Spreading the doses makes sense given the very limited amount of doses we have. 

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Mostly a tin foil hat. Spreading the doses makes sense given the very limited amount of doses we have. 

But...but... SUPA STRAIN!

thanks for calming me down.

good plot for a movie tho

oh and I know I shouldn’t drink after getting the shot but can I have some weed to deal with the new found anxiety???

SUPA STRAIN DELUX!!!

also a great plot for a movie

If anything is going to cause a super strain it’s the uneven vaccine distribution between rich and poor countries, not rich countries choosing delayed vaccination schedules. Realistically, we would probably be better off diverting doses from the developed world to the developing world minus whatever we still need to 100% ages 60+.

I'm mad that I had to wait a whole month between shots one and two but someone I work with got her first shot after me and her second before me. Bitch.

Also at least two of my coworkers aren't getting vaccinated (one's anti-vax in general, the other already had covid and thinks she doesn't need it). That's at least two out of 16.

Then I look at india right now and I'm like eh... Not that bad.

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm mad that I had to wait a whole month between shots one and two but someone I work with got her first shot after me and her second before me. Bitch.

Also at least two of my coworkers aren't getting vaccinated (one's anti-vax in general, the other already had covid and thinks she doesn't need it). That's at least two out of 16.

Yo, kill dat bitch

• Guillotine 1

Also, anyone jelly that America had trump doing buttfuck nothing about the vids and now they bathing in covid vaccines while Canada waiting in line, paid up front and still gets fucked and may create the supa virus.  It’s like American can do any dumb shit consequence free.  

however, I do understand that Canada’s biggest fault was not producing it ourselves so that’s on us

7 minutes ago, Captain Pickle said:

Also, anyone jelly that America had trump doing buttfuck nothing about the vids and now they bathing in covid vaccines while Canada waiting in line, paid up front and still gets fucked and may create the supa virus.  It’s like American can do any dumb shit consequence free.  

however, I do understand that Canada’s biggest fault was not producing it ourselves so that’s on us

I'd hardly consider 600k dead as "consequence free"

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Then I look at india right now and I'm like eh... Not that bad.

Pfizer vs Moderna? 

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

WWW.BMJ.COM

Infections of SARS-CoV-2 fell by 65% after a first dose of the Oxford-AstraZeneca or Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines, preliminary results from a large UK surveillance study indicate. Reductions increased to 70% after a second dose of the Pfizer vaccine, data from the UK Covid-19 Infection Survey show. Not enough people had yet received two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine to assess this. The survey, carried out by the...

AZ and Pfizer show similar effectiveness in real-world application. As I've suspected for some time, it appears that all of the four major western vaccines are about equally effective in the real world, and the major difference for the trial disparity was the timing/location of the trials themselves (with the mRNA vaccine trials taking place before the variants and during a lull, and the AZ/J&J trials taking place post-variant, and during the second wave).

BINGO. The J&J trials I believe took place in South Africa where that variant was running rampant. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pfizer vs Moderna? 

I mean, when I made my appointment at Safeway, they didn't even say which one it was. I'm assuming because they didn't actually know yet. On the other hand, some people have been going to the convention center, which I assume is operated differently. It actually seems like the convention center is prioritizing first doses, whereas Safeway/Albertsons is prioritizing second doses. My second dose was reserved before I even made the appointment.

I'm staying in a hotel for the first time next Monday and Tuesday night on a work trip. I'm kinda worried about exposure, even though I'm fully vaccinated and will have my full immunity by then. 

And I'm going to a wedding in the middle of May. 

It feels weird getting back to "normal."

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

WWW.BMJ.COM

I know you've said this before, but AZ has conducted trials during very different time periods and still had similar results. The gap is probably smaller than what the efficacy numbers show, but I would still expect the mRNA vaccines to be better. 

For our purposes today, there is no meaningful difference. Best thing about the mRNA vaccines will be the ability to edit them  very quickly for strains that are much more resistant to the current versions.

It can’t be overstated how much the efficacy number disparity (whatever that actually is) do not matter to our goals :p 

4 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

WWW.BMJ.COM

I still think the two dose vaccines are more effective than the one.

50 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

I still think the two dose vaccines are more effective than the one.

Oh for sure, getting the second dose is still important long-term (as will be the ongoing, annual boosters, likely). But 2x as many people with one shot is far superior to 1x as many with two shots, in terms of preventing death and spread.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Oh for sure, getting the second dose is still important long-term (as will be the ongoing, annual boosters, likely). But 2x as many people with one shot is far superior to 1x as many with two shots, in terms of preventing death and spread.

What I mean is regardless of what the CDC says I think the J&J is less effective but still *good enough*

They just don't want people to not get it because of a perception of lack of effectiveness or safety. 

35 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

What I mean is regardless of what the CDC says I think the J&J is less effective but still *good enough*

Based on what? It waaaaaay beyond good enough. It does exactly what a vaccine needs to do: prevent the most serious effects of the disease and prevents the spread of the disease.

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Based on what? It waaaaaay beyond good enough. It does exactly what a vaccine needs to do: prevent the most serious effects of the disease and prevents the spread of the disease.

I'm concerned with even having minor symptoms. And at least in my opinion having the second dose allows for a stronger immune response.

We won't know for sure though until the data shakes out.