~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Got my second pfizer yesterday, another sore arm and I'm a bit tired, no other symptoms.  The vaccine site I went to wasn't busy at all, I'm really starting to think that everyone who wanted to be vaccinated in this country has been

I'm in favor of paying people to get vaccinated. $100 per shot should do the trick

28 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Got my second pfizer yesterday, another sore arm and I'm a bit tired, no other symptoms.  The vaccine site I went to wasn't busy at all, I'm really starting to think that everyone who wanted to be vaccinated in this country has been

The daily vaccination numbers have dipped a bit but we're still above 3 million a day. If the daily doses administered numbers really crater I'll be concerned, right now I'm thinking the glut of appointments is just more reflective of the supply and administrative capacity having seriously ramped up.

ICU admissions near 800 as Ontario sees new high for COVID-19 vaccinations

Ontario reported another 4,212 cases of COVID-19 and 32 more deaths linked to the illness on Wednesday, as public health units administered a new high of 136,695 doses of vaccines yesterday.

The previous single-day high for vaccine doses was 115,634 on April 16. Ontario's COVID-19 vaccine task force has said it hopes to reach a benchmark of at least 150,000 shots per day when shipments of the Pfizer vaccine ramp up in coming weeks.

Dr. Isaac Bogoch, an infectious disease physician and member of the task force, attributed the high "almost exclusively" to uptake of the AstraZeneca vaccine by adults over 40. The province lowered the eligibility age for the AstraZeneca vaccine to 40 from 55 last weekend.

I wrote a long rant but deleted it.  I am angry at the sacrifices my family and I have made for the common good -- only to see how easy it was to get vaccinated -- and how few people over the age of 55 have bothered to do it.  I really feel for the younger people (20s and 30s) who continue to sacrifice, and are still unable to get vaccinated, to protect their elders who couldn't be bothered.   People need to start taking personal responsibility for their own health.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nah, just a nice crisp $100 bill after you get your shot, both times you get your shot

That works too, it just can't be money for your first shot and no money for your second shot, there needs to be the incentive to actually show up for the second shot.

I guess in your scheme give people getting J&J all $200 at once?

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

$100 payable upon showing up for your final dose.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Nah, just a nice crisp $100 bill after you get your shot, both times you get your shot

Kroger is paying their employees to get the vaccine. I just got my second shot this morning, and after I give HR a copy of my card, I'll get an extra $100 on my next paycheck. Not quite as satisfying as cash in hand, but I'll take it. 

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

That works too, it just can't be money for your first shot and no money for your second shot, there needs to be the incentive to actually show up for the second shot.

I guess in your scheme give people getting J&J all $200 at once?

Absolutely. Nice incentive to get it over the bad press it has. $200 now or $100 now and another $100 3-4 weeks from now?

Also, Biden has made another agreement in principle with Canada to share doses, and has expanded the agreement to include doses to Central America:

I would expect many of the doses would be the 20-25 million AstraZeneca doses sitting unused in the US. While obviously I have a personal interest in those doses going to Canada since it means I will be vaccinated faster, I also know that Canada is doing pretty damned well compared to most other countries, so the bulk should go to Central America.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brick said:

I came across this ridiculous Tweet. I don't understand German, and there are no subtitles, but if what this quack is saying is actually what the video is about, I don't believe it for one second. 

Fact check: Coca-Cola does not cause a positive COVID-19 test  

Dialab explains in its posts that Schnedlitz conducted the test incorrectly, leading to a positive result. The company demonstrated in the videos how to carry out the test correctly with Coca-Cola, which leads to a negative result.

The YouTube video’s description explains that the sample, in this case Coca-Cola, was not swirled with the buffer, which is essential to keep the pH value constant in order to conduct the test correctly. When the sample is not swirled with the buffer, the antibody proteins of the test are destroyed, showing the positive marker.

“This result would also be expected from any other manufacturer in such an application,” Dialab explains in its YouTube video. “If you had used the test properly, as described in the package insert, the test would be negative.”

Soooo, I talked to my dad a couple nights ago and I'm pretty pissed. Both my parents are nurses, Dad got vaccinated in December, as soon as he could. Mom got Covid at Christmas, but she's declined to get vaccinated because she's "just not sold on it." My brother refuses, too. Haven't talked to him, but he's took a turn down the crazy Trump train, so I'm sure it's something to do with that.

Dad was telling me my mom wants to take a trip to see my great aunt and uncle in Florida this summer and he has liver cancer. But they won't get vaccinated. What the fuck. Everyone else in my family is vaccinated. My dad, both grandmas, both my dad's sisters. No problems with any of it. Why the fuck will my mom and brother not get vaccinated, ESPECIALLY if they want to travel to see an elderly sick family member in a few months?

Just makes me want to scream.

18 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Soooo, I talked to my dad a couple nights ago and I'm pretty pissed. Both my parents are nurses, Dad got vaccinated in December, as soon as he could. Mom got Covid at Christmas, but she's declined to get vaccinated because she's "just not sold on it." My brother refuses, too. Haven't talked to him, but he's took a turn down the crazy Trump train, so I'm sure it's something to do with that.

Dad was telling me my mom wants to take a trip to see my great aunt and uncle in Florida this summer and he has liver cancer. But they won't get vaccinated. What the fuck. Everyone else in my family is vaccinated. My dad, both grandmas, both my dad's sisters. No problems with any of it. Why the fuck will my mom and brother not get vaccinated, ESPECIALLY if they want to travel to see an elderly sick family member in a few months?

Just makes me want to scream.

Have the elderly sick family members refuse to see them unless they get the 💉

Second dose of Pfizer leveled me for a good three days. First day after was full on fever, chills, sweats, shivering and so on, the next two days I just felt really drained and couldn't stop sleeping. Ended up calling in sick but gladly NYS let's you fill out a form where your employer can't dock you for vaccine-related time off.

The second dose of Pfizer has hit me a little harder the next day. Nothing too bad, just some soreness and fatigue. Called off work even though I probably could have gone in and been fine. I figure this fuckin' virus can get me at least one day off work.