~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, Joe said:

I’m fresh out of arguing on the internet for the day. Let’s check back in tomorrow. :p

No need for an argument, I don't know what you THINK I think but the poll says exactly what it says. In fact this was one of the stories I worked on last night which is why I shared it here.

Detailed findings:

1. Nearly all Americans are aware of the pause in J&J COVID-19 vaccines, almost right after it was announced. A vast majority believe health officials are acting responsibly in taking this step.

Ninety-one percent of Americans have heard of the pause, showing a clear breakthrough of the issue in our collective consciousness in a very short period of time.

Nearly the same number, 88%, feel the FDA and CDC are acting responsibly by recommending a pause in the J&J vaccine (among those that have heard of the pause).

Over time, trust in the CDC and national public health officials to provide people with accurate information about COVID-19 has remained high, and steady (around two-thirds to 70% trust these entities), which could be a contributing factor in this belief.

Americans, regardless of political affiliation, feel health officials are acting responsibly by recommending the pause in the one-dose vaccines; 87% of Republicans and 91% of Democrats agree.

There may be other polls out there that say different but I'm talking about THIS one which shows that most Americans seem to agree with the pause of the J&J vaccine and despite that STILL plan to get vaccinated.

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No need for an argument, I don't know what you THINK I think but the poll says exactly what it says. In fact this was one of the stories I worked on last night which is why I shared it here.

There may be other polls out there that say different but I'm talking about THIS one which shows that most Americans seem to agree with the pause of the J&J vaccine and despite that STILL plan to get vaccinated.

I was honestly being a D1Pshit and focusing on the headline, which is that people supported the pause. I hadn’t seen that there was basically no budge in vaccine hesitancy elsewhere in the article.

4 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

The pause does seem to affect confidence in the J&J vaccine itself, which if true has potentially knock-on effects in a situation where time is of the essence and people doubting the safety of one of the vaccines might lead some people to delaying their vaccination when they could have gotten a J&J dose. We already know some people have been vaccine snobbing What is very unclear is how substantial those effects will be in the real world. Could end up being very small, and I would guess the further from the pause the less the effects will be felt. But still good to see that the initial response seems to be pretty muted.

25 minutes ago, Joe said:

@sblfilms Let's talk about masks.

I want to go into places without a mask even more because you guys hate the idea. I think about it every time I mask up.

Just now, sblfilms said:

The pause does seem to affect confidence in the J&J vaccine itself, which if true has potentially knock-on effects in a situation where time is of the essence and people doubting the safety of one of the vaccines might lead some people to delaying their vaccination when they could have gotten a J&J dose. We already know some people have been vaccine snobbing What is very unclear is how substantial those effects will be in the real world. Could end up being very small, and I would guess the further from the pause the less the effects will be felt. But still good to see that the initial response seems to be pretty muted..

all of that may very well be true... but it isn't according to THIS poll. Like I said there may be other polls that say different, but my experience anecdotally has been that the same folks who are expressing hesitency now were never going to get it in the first place and were LOOKING for something like this to confirm their biases. Also like you said vaccine snobbery was already taking place but prior to this there were folks looking to get the J&J vaccine over the other because it was based on "tried and true tech". That was happening regardless.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

all of that may very well be true... but it isn't according to THIS poll. Like I said there may be other polls that say different, but my experience anecdotally has been that the same folks who are expressing hesitency now were never going to get it in the first place and were LOOKING for something like this to confirm their biases. Also like you said vaccine snobbery was already taking place but prior to this there were folks looking to get the J&J vaccine over the other because it was based on "tried and true tech". That was happening regardless.

The poll you linked does not talk about confidence in the J&J vaccine, it talks about generic hesitancy. So no, it's not refuted by the poll. They are asking different questions.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

The poll you linked does not talk about confidence in the J&J vaccine, it talks about generic hesitancy. So no, it's not refuted by the poll. They are asking different questions.

I wasn't talking about confidence in the J&J vaccine either... I was talking about overall attitudes towards vaccines in GENERAL being affected by the pause. There was a lot of "Oh no the sky is falling!" talk on this board last week and this poll shows that the general reaction wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was here. That's all I'm pointing out. If you guys are talking about attitudes towards the J&J vaccine specifically, you're right this poll doesn't talk about that. We won't know until the vaccine is available again. But again, that wasn't what I was talking about.

15 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I wasn't talking about confidence in the J&J vaccine either... I was talking about overall attitudes towards vaccines in GENERAL being affected by the pause. There was a lot of "Oh no the sky is falling!" talk on this board last week and this poll shows that the general reaction wasn't nearly as dramatic as it was here. That's all I'm pointing out. If you guys are talking about attitudes towards the J&J vaccine specifically, you're right this poll doesn't talk about that. We won't know until the vaccine is available again. But again, that wasn't what I was talking about.

I don’t think anybody was saying that the sky was falling. Just that it was a stupid decision. Honestly I’m fine with the decision given that we now know that part of the pause was to explain to doctors how to best treat CVT assuming we start back up soon. But being concerned about this pause increasing vaccine hesitancy in the J&J vaccine is legitimate.

11 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Didn't they do that for the entire US?

Maybe, I haven't been paying attention since I already got mine in early March followed by my wife two weeks later. I live on the New Hampshire border and I know NH opened it up to everyone 3 weeks ago.

47 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

Didn't they do that for the entire US?

The Biden admin suggested it, ultimately up to each state to implement the recs. Hence why it’s been state by state changes over the last 3 weeks.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Just joined team AstraZeneca. Second dose is scheduled for August. I’m in Ontario, and there is lots of talk about how hard it is to get appointment. But the clinic I am in has tons of open slots this afternoon. 

Congrats! I think the (valid) complaint is that there is no centralized system to search and book appointments in Ontario. In SK, there is a single site and you just pick a time and place, easy peezy. Or you go to the local drive-thru and wait in line if you prefer.

1 minute ago, Brick said:

Halton region. I'm only 31 with no underlying conditions, so I'm sure it'll be a while before my turn comes up. 

Ah. Not in the states then. Hope you can join me in the Bill Gates Army soon. 

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

Congrats! I think the (valid) complaint is that there is no centralized system to search and book appointments in Ontario. In SK, there is a single site and you just pick a time and place, easy peezy. Or you go to the local drive-thru and wait in line if you prefer.

I think it is harder in Ontario (given the relative size) and variety of providers.  When I woke up on Monday, I got the kids ready for school, went to the computer and had an appointment with Walmart in under 10 minutes.  Called my cousin to remind him, he called his doctor and had an appointment in 10 minutes.

I'll be honest, I've called my neighbours, my friends and cousins and almost everyone had either already been vaccinated or was scheduled in the next few days.  Except for 3 friends, who are all booked for this afternoon. [And my brother, but I won't get into that.]

4 minutes ago, Brick said:

Halton region. I'm only 31 with no underlying conditions, so I'm sure it'll be a while before my turn comes up. 

Hard to say.  I'm in Peel, and just had three friends from Halton book appointments near me (Winston Churchill and QEW) -- if you know anyone who is 40+ and wants AZ they can call 437-246-6947.  My appointment was 1.5 hours after I called.