~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

On 4/9/2021 at 9:23 PM, Ominous said:

My sister in law, the one that had covid, let her oldest son go play his school basketball ( I think BB) game even though he lost the ability to taste and said he'd get tested before the game....when my wife followed up about his test she said they were waiting for it to come back....

This is the kind of shit we are dealing with.

She also doesn't want to get a vaccine, even though her ass was in the hospital and she was at home bedridden for several days.

Now she's trying to get her dad to not get his 2nd Pfizer because "it doesn't do anything"...........

3 minutes ago, Ominous said:

Now she's trying to get her dad to not get his 2nd Pfizer because "it doesn't do anything"...........

Petition Catapult Peter Schiff into the Sun

Bonus: I was just Googling for catapulting people into the sun and I got that image from here, which is one of the second image search result:

Spoiler

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Chris- said:

Unless it becomes clear that one of the variants can completely defeat the vaccines, I plan on resuming ‘normalcy’ two weeks post 2nd shot and not looking back. I definitely support continued community restrictions like smaller capacity, masks, etc., but I feel comfortable with the level of protection the vaccines provide. 

Ummm...

?m=02&d=20210411&t=2&i=1558044453&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa may evade the protection provided by Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is very low and the research has not been peer reviewed.

AND

ashley-allen-main.jpg?quality=90&strip=a
NYPOST.COM

She’s shot out of luck. A Brooklyn woman who managed to avoid catching COVID-19 throughout 2020 went down with the bug this month — three weeks after being vaccinated. Ashley Allen,

It ain't party time yet unfortunately.

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm...

?m=02&d=20210411&t=2&i=1558044453&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

The coronavirus variant discovered in South Africa may evade the protection provided by Pfizer/BioNTech's COVID-19 vaccine to some extent, a real-world data study in Israel found, though its prevalence in the country is very low and the research has not been peer reviewed.

AND

ashley-allen-main.jpg?quality=90&strip=a
NYPOST.COM

She’s shot out of luck. A Brooklyn woman who managed to avoid catching COVID-19 throughout 2020 went down with the bug this month — three weeks after being vaccinated. Ashley Allen,

It ain't party time yet unfortunately.

The SA variant is not the main variant here nor is it expected to be.

As for J&J, full efficacy is not found until 4 weeks after the shot and even then, it does not mean you won't get the virus. Just that you are extremely unlikely to have severe disease.

8 minutes ago, Joe said:

The SA variant is not the main variant here nor is it expected to be.

As for J&J, full efficacy is not found until 4 weeks after the first shot and even then, it does not mean you won't get the virus. Just that you are extremely unlikely to have severe disease.

I got the J&J shot and we were told TWO weeks for full efficacy and it's only one shot. And you're right that it doesn't mean you won';t get the virus, just less severe disease... which is why the CDC adivses still wearing a mask around folks that you don't know aren't vaccinated themselves. Like I said... it isn't party time yet.

different-vaccines-vials_600px.png
WWW.CDC.GOV

Information about the J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccine including name, manufacturer, type of vaccine, number of shots, how it is given, and links to ingredient information.

The J&J/Janssen vaccine was 66.3% effective in clinical trials (efficacy) at preventing laboratory-confirmed COVID-19 illness in people who had no evidence of prior infection 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine. People had the most protection 2 weeks after getting vaccinated.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I got the J&J shot and we were told TWO weeks for full efficacy and it's only one shot. And you're right that it doesn't mean you won';t get the virus, just less severe disease... which is why the CDC adivses still wearing a mask around folks that you don't know aren't vaccinated themselves. Like I said... it isn't party time yet.

I guess it's easier for messaging to say two weeks especially because the vaccine had good efficacy after just two weeks. But full efficacy is still 4 weeks for J&J. At that point, nobody had to be hospitalized that had received the shot.

The press release:

Johnson_and_Johnson_Logo.jpg?p=facebook
WWW.PRNEWSWIRE.COM

/PRNewswire/ -- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (the Company) today announced topline efficacy and safety data from the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE clinical trial,...

The Phase 3 ENSEMBLE study is designed to evaluate the efficacy and safety of the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine candidate in protecting moderate to severe COVID-19, with co-primary endpoints of 14 days and 28 days following vaccination. Among all participants from different geographies and including those infected with an emerging viral variant, Janssen's COVID-19 vaccine candidate was 66% effective overall in preventing moderate to severe COVID-19, 28 days after vaccination. The onset of protection was observed as early as day 14. The level of protection against moderate to severe COVID-19 infection was 72% in the United States, 66% in Latin America and 57% in South Africa, 28 days post-vaccination.

6 minutes ago, Joe said:

The press release:

Johnson_and_Johnson_Logo.jpg?p=facebook
WWW.PRNEWSWIRE.COM

/PRNewswire/ -- Johnson & Johnson (NYSE: JNJ) (the Company) today announced topline efficacy and safety data from the Phase 3 ENSEMBLE clinical trial,...

See. my post... that's from the CDC. In any case, she came down with it THREE weeks after getting the shot. The point is is that the vaccine doesn't mean "go back to business as usual" which is the point I'm trying to make.

2 hours ago, mrbiggsly said:

Michigan will be fine. The governor asked people to voluntarily stay home for a couple weeks

The reason for this is because the state CHUD court ruled she doesn't have the authority to declare further emergencies over COVID, even struck down a 75 year old state law that literally gives her that power to do it, lol.

5 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

See. my post... that's from the CDC. In any case, she came down with it THREE weeks after getting the shot. The point is is that the vaccine doesn't mean "go back to business as usual" which is the point I'm trying to make.

Right, but again that's a messaging thing. If you read the actual press release from J&J themselves, it indicates that efficacy was actually maximized at the 4 week mark. 

I don't think Chris means he is going to go unmasked or anything like that, but it's certainly reasonable to resume hanging out with people again.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

And when people with vaccines catch it (oh no, the vaccine failed!!) it's a mild case. The vaccines are doing what they are supposed to.

The question remains, though: if you get vaccinated and then end up catching Covid and have just a mild case, do you suffer any long-term effects?

1 minute ago, marioandsonic said:

The question remains, though: if you get vaccinated and then end up catching Covid and have just a mild case, do you suffer any long-term effects?

This has always been a shitty aspect of how this became a partisan, purity test political thing.

There will be totally valid, good faith studies of the virus and its long term effects for years to come. And they will conflict. And we won't know things for sure.

And legitimate disagreements will get completely swallowed up by people that question the validity of the germ theory of disease and that masks slowly kill you by stealing your soul, or whatever the fuck they believe.

6 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

That I'm not sure of! Apparently the vaccine helps relieve long-haul symptoms in people that had the virus prior to getting the vaccine, though!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Joe said:

Right, but again that's a messaging thing. If you read the actual press release from J&J themselves, it indicates that efficacy was actually maximized at the 4 week mark. 

No it indicates no one was hospitalized after four weeks... they LITERALLY SAY THAT protection is maximized after TWO WEEKS. Which is also what the nurses who gave us our shots said as well. Either way it's besides the point... the notion that we can "GO back to normal because we've beenvaccinated" is premature... which again, is the only point I'm making. 

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

No it indicates no one was hospitalized after four weeks... they LITERALLY SAY THAT protection is maximized after TWO WEEKS. Which is also what the nurses who gave us our shots said as well. Either way it's besides the point... the notion that we can "GO back to normal because we've beenvaccinated" is premature... which again, is the only point I'm making. 

This just semantics at this point, but the press release from the company really doesn't say full efficacy after 2 weeks.

Again, from the press release:

The vaccine candidate was 85 percent effective in preventing severe disease across all regions studied,i 28 days after vaccination in all adults 18 years and older. Efficacy against severe disease increased over time with no cases in vaccinated participants reported after day 49.

The Janssen COVID-19 vaccine candidate demonstrated complete protection against COVID-related hospitalization and death, 28 days post-vaccination. There was a clear effect of the vaccine on COVID-19 cases requiring medical intervention (hospitalization, ICU admission, mechanical ventilation, extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO)), with no reported cases among participants who had received the Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, 28 days post-vaccination.

The CDC can say whatever they want. This is from the actual Phase 3 trial.

31 minutes ago, Joe said:

I don't think Chris means he is going to go unmasked or anything like that, but it's certainly reasonable to resume hanging out with people again.

Yeah I literally said I expect there to be ongoing remediation like capacity restrictions, masks, etc., and I’m fine with that. But I’m not going to keep myself from eating in a half full restaurant or sitting in a quarter full movie theater. I feel confident in the odds at this point. 

So...AstraZeneca may be more effective than the mRNA vaccines in real world use?

Edit - Obviously both are equally effective at the stat that matters: severe cases. But real-world data does seem to support the idea that the trials were so different that the results can't really be compared, and they are all about equally effective.

1 minute ago, PaladinSolo said:

After 1 dose maybe.

I edited my post, but my point is that they are likely equally effective after one or two doses. The only reason the trial results were so different is because they were done in wildly different conditions, including against different strains.

After two doses AZ is stronger than one, and is actually even stronger the longer the gap between doses.

My point is that they are all great, and the trial numbers thrown around are almost meaningless.