~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

17 minutes ago, Joe said:

I'm trying to get an appointment for a friend of the family and they are pulling this Pfizer only bullshit on me. So frustrating.

Tell them it’s for Pfizer and when they find it isn’t when they arrive, they will still get it. 

In other news, while legitimately high (the last time I felt like this I was taking Vicodin after I got my wisdom teeth taken out), I asked my boss to make me full time which includes a huge bump in pay, better benefits, more vacation time, and sick time.

The cartoon dancing bear gave me a thumbs up. Or at least I think it was a thumbs up because I poked myself in the eye with my glasses after cleaning the lenses while talking to my boss.

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, MarSolo said:

In other news, while legitimately high (the last time I felt like this I was taking Vicodin after I got my wisdom teeth taken out), I asked my boss to make me full time which includes a huge bump in pay, better benefits, more vacation time, and sick time.

Did you get it?

5 minutes ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1231874122-760x380.jpeg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Michigan's increases in cases, hospitalizations, deaths may be bellwether for country.

Some experts have questioned whether the Biden administration should send a surge supply of vaccines to the state to try to head off the variant and the spike in cases. Currently, the federal government largely doles out doses based on each state and jurisdiction’s population. But last month, Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer had asked for a boost in supply to avert the state’s surge. The White House declined the request, however, according to The Washington Post.

This will likely be seen as a mistake looking back. Gottlieb has been advocating for this idea for over a month and his rationale seemed very sound. Because of how quickly the vaccines start giving some level of protection you can deploy surge vaccines in particular communities and head off the astronomic rises we are seeing in localized populations. Hopefully the White House changes course on this and embraces this idea.

Just now, sblfilms said:

This will likely be seen as a mistake looking back. Gottlieb has been advocating for this idea for over a month and his rationale seemed very sound. Because of how quickly the vaccines start giving some level of protection you can deploy surge vaccines in particular communities and head off the astronomic rises we are seeing in localized populations. Hopefully the White House changes course on this and embraces this idea.

It's what we're doing in my province. My city is the main hotspot, so they are diverting extra doses here for younger groups than allowed elsewhere. Seems to make sense.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

It's what we're doing in my province. My city is the main hotspot, so they are diverting extra doses here for younger groups than allowed elsewhere. Seems to make sense.

Infectious disease spread will always be asynchronous and you have to account for that when dealing with scarce resources!

1 minute ago, Nokra said:

Awesome, congrats! Where and how did you end up finding an appointment? 

Through @Joe's site he linked to, apparently Safeway/Albertson's must have got a big round of doses coming or something. While booking, it didn't tell me whether it was Pfizer or Moderna, but I don't care.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

Through @Joe's site he linked to, apparently Safeway/Albertson's must have got a big round of doses coming or something. While booking, it didn't tell me whether it was Pfizer or Moderna, but I don't care.

Mine was through Safeway also. I was shocked when a ton of appointments showed in my area. It was a terrible operation though. There was one guy running the whole pharmacy and he was the same guy doing the shots. I was the 2nd person in line for a 10:15 appointment and didn't get it until 10:40. I hope your experience is better. Mine was Moderna BTW.

14 minutes ago, 69los said:

Mine was through Safeway also. I was shocked when a ton of appointments showed in my area. It was a terrible operation though. There was one guy running the whole pharmacy and he was the same guy doing the shots. I was the 2nd person in line for a 10:15 appointment and didn't get it until 10:40. I hope your experience is better. Mine was Moderna BTW.

Chain pharmacies have been always criminally understaffed, it has nothing to do with the pandemic. Now we're getting to the point where it's best to distribute vaccines to as many points of access as possible but this is why it was so dumb that the Trump administration was pushing states to partner with big chain pharmacies early on.

17 minutes ago, 69los said:

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Chain pharmacies have been always criminally understaffed, it has nothing to do with the pandemic. Now we're getting to the point where it's best to distribute vaccines to as many points of access as possible but this is why it was so dumb that the Trump administration was pushing states to partner with big chain pharmacies early on.

FWIW the Walgreens I went to said they were running on a skeleton crew because of the pandemic, though I don't know what exactly that means for them. Still, I had my appointment at 6:30 and I got there at 6:15 and was walking out the door to go home by around 7:15, even including the 15 extra minutes I waited after the shot (i.e. 30 minutes total) because nobody told me how long to wait and I'm a good little rule-follower. :angel: 

:p 

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

25 minutes on line to receive a life-saving vaccine?! Why I never!

It probably got worse as the day went on doe if it was so understaffed. Plus it's stupid to have to hang around indoors for potentially a long time to get the vaccine for the disease that makes being indoors for long periods of time with lots of other people a bad idea.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

It probably got worse as the day went on doe if it was so understaffed. Plus it's stupid to have to hang around indoors for potentially a long time to get the vaccine for the disease that makes being indoors for long periods of time with lots of other people a bad idea.

My mom had to wait 4 hours for her vaccine at the Meadowlands Megasite. Anyone that was in and out in an hour or less was ecstatic. 25 minutes is literally nothing!

On 4/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Jason said:

I love how people are still going apeshit insisting that the schools HAVE to reopen ASAP. I guess I got it in January but now it's April, what the fuck is the point for like 3 or 4 weeks of school? 

ha, my school district had kids return this week so i have some kids M/T and some more TH/F. some of them are staying online only. apparently the district is going to try and change it so all kids (besides online only) come to school 4 days a week. we spent a decent amount of time preparing for what we are doing and it feels like a waste now. whole returning thing feels pointless. i’m pretty sure districts want to come back even for just a few weeks because of the funding schools will get from the states. 

2 minutes ago, johnny said:

ha, my school district had kids return this week so i have some kids M/T and some more TH/F. some of them are staying online only. apparently the district is going to try and change it so all kids (besides online only) come to school 4 days a week. we spent a decent amount of time preparing for what we are doing and it feels like a waste now. whole returning thing feels pointless. i’m pretty sure districts want to come back even for just a few weeks because of the funding schools will get from the states. 

Is Wednesday no students so they can do a deep cleaning of the school between cohorts? Was hearing about that on NPR today about how LA schools are doing this (maybe CA schools in general?) and how it's basically a waste of time since surface transmission just really isn't that big of a deal.

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Is Wednesday no students so they can do a deep cleaning of the school between cohorts? Was hearing about that on NPR today about how LA schools are doing this (maybe CA schools in general?) and how it's basically a waste of time since surface transmission just really isn't that big of a deal.

yeah wednesday is all online. i doubt the deep cleaning is even that good. i think just use a spray and spray down the desks real quick. kids have to wipe down their desks before they sit down. i have over ten tubs of wipes.... it’s a lot of wipes. 

district has essentially said they don’t care if we actually teach them. we can sit at our desk (6 feet away) and have them work on online assignments. so it’s definitely not about doing what’s best for the kids. 

My province just pwned vaccine-shopping boomers so hard.

So, in order to supress the variant outbreak, the province had shipped big quantities of AstraZeneca doses to my city. They set up a drive-thru clinic, and a few weeks ago allowed anyone from 58-64 to get a shot. There was big demand. This week, we got another shipment (US shipment) so they set them up again, this time for anyone 55+...and after the first day the lines were empty. Boomers were staying home because they would rather wait for their turn at Pfizer/Moderna appointments than get the AZ dose immediately.

So what did the province do? They swapped the drive-thru doses to Pfizer and opened it up for people under 55, and re-allocated the AstraZeneca doses to the online appointments for people 55+. :lol: 

The goal is to get as many shots into as many arms as quickly as possible, regardless of vaccine type or age. So if someone 59-years-old wanted to wait a few weeks and get a "better" vaccine...fuck them. All of them are good and serve the greater goal of protecting society.

• Haha 3