~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

38 minutes ago, Brick said:

Being overweight can also lessen the effectiveness of vaccines (as well as make the illness more severe).

This isn't really true. A single study in Italy found this and it runs contrary to Pfizer's phase 3 results. Also, I'm fat and anxious, so shush.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

This isn't really true. A single study in Italy found this and it runs contrary to Pfizer's phase 3 results. Also, I'm fat and anxious, so shush.

Are you sure? I mean maybe being slightly overweight isn't too big of a concern, but certainly someone who is obese (especially those who are morbidly obese) would suffer from sub-par effects of vaccinations.

Either way, it's best to get to a healthy weight anyway :p

Just now, Brick said:

Are you sure? I mean maybe being slightly overweight isn't too big of a concern, but certainly someone who is obese (especially those who are morbidly obese) would suffer from sub-par effects of vaccinations.

Either way, it's best to get to a healthy weight anyway :p

My BMI is at 32 right now and while I certainly look a little chunky, I don't look obese. When people think obese, they think of people that are morbidly obese, like you mentioned. That's a totally different ballpark.

This is next piece to the Covid crisis that can also be of great help in the developing world as it will take some time to see vaccination rates at high levels in those regions.

People who won’t get vaccinated aren’t the only issue, or even the most important group for which better therapeutics matter! It’s also the sort of thing that will matter in response to possible vaccine resistant variants.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

And basically the entire global south who will be 12-18 months behind wealthy nations on vaccinations

And if we're not going to open up parents for vaccinations or these medicines (like we should be doing) then we need a PEPFAR-like program is needed for covid in these countries which are behind the vaccination curve 

Looking again today and neither NY not NJ are currently seeing growth in cases despite much higher prevalence of the more transmissible variants. This is encouraging for the rest of the country that is mostly dealing with less transmissible strains as they will be further down the vaccination road by the time they really have to deal with those strains.

I think the last major “wave” will actually be in the form of slowly declining numbers, where as we would have seen a much sharper drop if people had been more vigilant in March/April/May as vaccination numbers continue to rise.

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

Looking again today and neither NY not NJ are currently seeing growth in cases despite much higher prevalence of the more transmissible variants. This is encouraging for the rest of the country that is mostly dealing with less transmissible strains as they will be further down the vaccination road by the time they really have to deal with those strains.

I think the last major “wave” will actually be in the form of slowly declining numbers, where as we would have seen a much sharper drop if people had been more vigilant in March/April/May as vaccination numbers continue to rise.

True, but something to consider is that even though new cases in the US are dropping, they are still higher per capita than new cases in many other developed nations (who are entering the third/fourth wave). So it's great that the US is seeing a decline, but the damage from its super-waves is far higher than other nations smaller waves (which are still rising and falling).

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

True, but something to consider is that even though new cases in the US are dropping, they are still higher per capita than new cases in many other developed nations (who are entering the third/fourth wave). So it's great that the US is seeing a decline, but the damage from its super-waves is far higher than other nations smaller waves (which are still rising and falling).

The US is pretty much in the middle of daily cases per cap in the developed world, though we should be in better shape given our vaccine rollout being much further ahead.

God, it's going to be such a shitshow if we wind up having to push the date back. Maybe the article here isn't accurately conveying Newsom's language but Biden was much more responsible about being clear we could have July 4 if we don't fuck it up. The way this reads it sounds like people are going to take June 15 as a hard deadline and why set that expectation before you can be certain there won't be a delay?

6048f86569a7c600091a02d2-eight.jpg
LAIST.COM

Watch the full press conference and follow this post for updates.

2 hours ago, thewhyteboar said:

Oregon folks, I got a friend looking for vaccine appointments. Any recommendations on websites he can use?

The OHA website seemed to serve my dad well, though I haven't had luck with it. You sign up, they'll send you an email that's like "expect a call in [x] days" and then they call you and you get it scheduled. Again, I have had no luck with this, but it seemed to work just fine for my dad

57 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

The OHA website seemed to serve my dad well, though I haven't had luck with it. You sign up, they'll send you an email that's like "expect a call in [x] days" and then they call you and you get it scheduled. Again, I have had no luck with this, but it seemed to work just fine for my dad

Thanks! I'll pass it on. 

Received my first dose of pfizer yesterday. My wife received hers last Tuesday, and since she got it Walgreens and their weird 28 day scheduling quirk, we both get our second dose on 4/27. I might try to change her second dose to a state run clinic earlier, if a spot opens up. 

So happy the end is in sight. Makes possibly taking a summer family vacation more likely.

1 hour ago, jinx8402 said:

Received my first dose of pfizer yesterday. My wife received hers last Tuesday, and since she got it Walgreens and their weird 28 day scheduling quirk, we both get our second dose on 4/27. I might try to change her second dose to a state run clinic earlier, if a spot opens up. 

So happy the end is in sight. Makes possibly taking a summer family vacation more likely.

Unless there is something I’m missing, no need to reschedule the second dose for the wife. Glad you are feeling more confident about a vacation!

AgEXQWVFeGRQNlBKUkJtWDFNdXhIZHQxSEEAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Several states are now prioritizing asymptomatic student athletes as outbreaks put vulnerable, unvaccinated adults at risk.

This is an interesting piece of the puzzle. If adults get vaccinated and begin to feel more comfortable being out and about, their children still are at risk of catching the bug. I’m guessing we will see a very strong shift towards pediatric infections percentage wise over the next few months.

6 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
AgEXQWVFeGRQNlBKUkJtWDFNdXhIZHQxSEEAMA
APPLE.NEWS

Several states are now prioritizing asymptomatic student athletes as outbreaks put vulnerable, unvaccinated adults at risk.

This is an interesting piece of the puzzle. If adults get vaccinated and begin to feel more comfortable being out and about, their children still are at risk of catching the bug. I’m guessing we will see a very strong shift towards pediatric infections percentage wise over the next few months.

It's a shame that we're so fatigued over what little lockdowns we've had in the US, because one last one (with contact tracing) after we get something near herd immunity (50+% vaccinated) we could eradicate the virus and put it behind us with appropriate boarder controls.

33 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It's a shame that we're so fatigued over what little lockdowns we've had in the US, because one last one (with contact tracing) after we get something near herd immunity (50+% vaccinated) we could eradicate the virus and put it behind us with appropriate boarder controls.

But I can't wait another month to eat INSIDE a restaurant instead of in the parking lot, open back up people gotta live their lives stay home if you're scurred. :angry: :cry: