~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

45 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:
image?q=85&c=sc&rect=16%2C27%2C1488%2C76
PEOPLE.COM

Sarah Palin has tested positive for COVID-19, and she's urging others to continue taking the pandemic seriously

Anyone else waiting for the follow up tweet of “LOL. APRIL FOOLS” Just doesn’t seem like a thing any Republican (especially her) would actually say the loud part loud. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

The title they should have gone with is "So far, 90% of everyone who received the shot is still immune." At least, in this case, means from the first doses were given until now. So this is great news.

I'll have to see about getting a box fan or two. The main floor (one-storey w/basement home) is about 1,060 sqft, and has windows on all sides that can open. There are a bunch of ceiling fans, too, but I don't think those would make a difference. I'll keep the windows open and the air exchange in the furnace running the whole time people are inside, and then we'll likely give it an hour or two afterward before we go back in without masks.

This makes sense. They can only say it shows at least 6 months of protection, because that's how long people have been protected? And another 6 months from now, if still effective, they can say it offers at least 12 months of protection, and so on?

We're still updating each other right? I got my second Pfizer dose yesterday around noon. So far, I've only had a sore arm. My memory is failing so not sure if I mentioned this already but my mom got her second dose last week, too. Also Pfizer. She had no side effects at all so I'm hoping I don't either!

• Like 1

Just now, osxmatt said:

This makes sense. They can only say it shows at least 6 months of protection, because that's how long people have been protected? And another 6 months from now, if still effective, they can say it offers at least 12 months of protection, and so on?

Yup. What does seem to be emerging already is that antibody levels in vaccine patients appears to stay at high levels while infection derived immunity is already seeing some falloff. Infection derived immunity is probably similar to SARS with an average of roughly 2 years protection against the original strain. Harder to know how robust it will be towards variants though as the scale of infection leads to much higher mutation chances.

My wife was able to grab an appointment for the J&J vaccine at a nearby Albertsons on the 7th.  She was previously signed up for Moderna on the same day, but the J&J will work out better for her, because we plan on driving down to San Diego the 2nd week of May for her father's funeral/ash scattering.  This will ensure she is fully protected by the time we go down there.

Our daughter restarts in-school class on the 6th, and one of our fears is that she bring the virus home. The district says they will have a strict mask policy, and for fourth graders, I think they'll be pretty successful.  I think the district is going to have issues with kindergarten through 2nd grade though.  Anyways...Hopefully my wife builds up SOME immunity after her shot and after our daughter goes back to school. 

• Like 1

Although California's seven-day case rate is at a low of 1.8%, health experts warn transmission levels could increase as people gather for Passover and Easter and travel for spring break.

Los Angeles County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer: "We do not yet have enough vaccine protection ... to prevent more transmission if we're not extraordinarily careful in these next few weeks."

Meanwhile, new coronavirus variants continue to pop up throughout California. The Brazilian variant, which appears to be more infectious and to reduce the effectiveness of some antibody treatments, showed up last week in San Diego and the Bay Area for the first time. The state Department of Public Health is tracking five "known variants of concern" and three "known variants of interest," which together account for more than 9,000 cases statewide.

https://laist.com/2021/04/01/is_a_fourth_coronavirus_wave_coming_for_california.php

So basically we're screwed because we know people won't be extraordinarily careful. Why the fuck do we keep doing reopenings that depend on behavior we know the public will not exhibit?

1 minute ago, johnny said:

did inside dining today for the first time in over a year. pretty crazy. 

At this point I'm waiting not just for more people to be vaccinated but for it to be at the point where the servers don't have to wear masks and faceshields, seems like it'd be super weird being in a restaurant right now.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

At this point I'm waiting not just for more people to be vaccinated but for it to be at the point where the servers don't have to wear masks and faceshields, seems like it'd be super weird being in a restaurant right now.

it was definitely weird taking my mask off in public 

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't know how I'll handle it.

1) I have grown much more lax with shaving my face since I have to wear a mask all day anyway. My facial hair is terrible.

2) I notice I've started to mutter under my breath a lot since no one can see my mouth. That's a habit I'll have to break.

3) just the idea of breathing on people's food is weird to me now. I suppose that won't last forever

Well my mom got a different appointment date and now gets her first shot on Wednesday at our local Shoppers Drug Mart. Which can’t come soon enough as the Ontario numbers for the past 2 days each have had 3000+ Confirmed Covid cases. The first time Ontario have been over that mark since Jan 17.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Theoretically, this will be us within a few more weeks

We're trying really hard to cause a spike from variants before we reach that point though thanks to all the fucktards who couldn't wait a few more weeks to eat inside a restaurant.