~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, Joe said:

“Transmission is rare, but it happens” 

I definitely read this article and saw the studies. But my statement doesn’t negate any of that. You ain’t gonna outpedant me, amigo!

I just started the program for this charity event, I've got 96 minutes to do this. Hope you brought your dinner!

5 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Better too much than too little. 

But not wearing a mask during a outdoor walk in the park is decidedly not too little. I mean, barring somebody sneezing or coughing directly into your mouth the actual chance of transmission is so close to zero that you likely can't measure it. Joe's link is actually really helpful in understanding the issue. There is a huge distinction between the types of behaviors one might do outside and the associated risks. Exposure time is the single greatest factor in transmission of the virus. This is actually one of the reasons that things like theme parks did not end up being the sort of superspreading factories some worried they would be, and in home spreading became the overwhelming majority of spread.

16 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

They're nowhere near other people. When we cross others on our walk, we just move to the other side of the road.

Now imagine walking somewhere like this when there's a constant flow of people and you can't just jump across the street to avoid them and even if you could there's also a steady flow of people on the other side anyhow.

image.png

Briefly passing one or two people outside probably isn't a big deal, sure, but in more crowded places all those brief encounters quickly add up.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Now imagine walking somewhere like this when there's a constant flow of people and you can't just jump across the street to avoid them and even if you could there's also a steady flow of people on the other side anyhow.

Well, yeah, if I were in a busy city, I'd wear a mask most likely. Still low chance of transmission outdoors, but if I were walking down places like that, I'd probably be in and out of buildings.

I was just talking about quiet neighborhood walks.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But not wearing a mask during a outdoor walk in the park is decidedly not too little. I mean, barring somebody sneezing or coughing directly into your mouth the actual chance of transmission is so close to zero that you likely can't measure it. Joe's link is actually really helpful in understanding the issue. There is a huge distinction between the types of behaviors one might do outside and the associated risks. Exposure time is the single greatest factor in transmission of the virus. This is actually one of the reasons that things like theme parks did not end up being the sort of superspreading factories some worried they would be, and in home spreading became the overwhelming majority of spread.

I'm just saying if it makes people feel safer then whatever. I know I've been probably safer than I need to be but thats what makes me feel comfortable.

I'm not having my sense of taste fucked up for life because I let my guard down.

5 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

I wear a mask as soon as I leave the house. I ain’t fucking with it. 

Proud Of You Yes GIF

I bet you put on three jimmies too

7 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Well, yeah, if I were in a busy city, I'd wear a mask most likely. Still low chance of transmission outdoors, but if I were walking down places like that, I'd probably be in and out of buildings.

I was just talking about quiet neighborhood walks.

This was actually a jason post about to pontificate against stroads 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This was actually a jason post about to pontificate against stroads 

This is what it looks like now, still undersized sidewalks for the amount of foot traffic it gets though! (Bike lane on the left is two way but as you can imagine with that post spacing it constantly has cars in it, including city vehicles.)

image.png

Since I was let go from my job 6 weeks ago. I have started to take a few bong hits, grab some headphones/music and take my dog for a daily walk around my neighbourhood block area. I don’t wear a mask when I do this because of being outside, knowing I have some immunity from my battle with it, and my dog+leash=6+ feet of distance. I feel safe outside this way, but I won’t remove my mask while shopping until I'm back sitting in my car. 

1 minute ago, Air_Delivery said:

My shoulder is already barkin

My first dose of the moderna left my arm sore for a solid 3-3.5 days, while the second only lasted a little over a day

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

I know what I’m getting @sblfilms for Christmas.

In all seriousness I'd buy one to put under my KF94 as long as it doesn't interfere with the KF94 (which it looks like it doesn't), it looks like it's a lot easier to get a good seal with one of those around the nose area, which is a consistent problem I've had with every mask I've tried.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

In all seriousness I'd buy one to put under my KF94 as long as it doesn't interfere with the KF94 (which it looks like it doesn't), it looks like it's a lot easier to get a good seal with one of those around the nose area, which is a consistent problem I've had with every mask I've tried.

Don’t put anything under or over your KN95 according to CDC rules. I would imagine that applies for KF94, too.

16 minutes ago, Jason said:
original.jpg
WWW.THEATLANTIC.COM

A deadlier and more transmissible variant has taken root, but now we have the tools to stop it if we want.

“The solution is obvious and doable: We should immediately match variant surges with vaccination surges that target the most vulnerable by going where they are, in the cities and states experiencing active outbreaks—an effort modeled on a public-health tool called “ring vaccination.” Ring vaccination involves vaccinating contacts and potential contacts of cases, essentially smothering the outbreak by surrounding it with immunity. We should do this, but on a surge scale, essentially ring-vaccinating whole cities and even states.“

That is a interesting idea

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

A couple of weeks ago I was already seeing reports of private medical practices being willing to go off-label on giving the vaccines to kids a year or two below the official age thresholds for the vaccines.

I woke up this morning not feeling very well.  Swimmy head, headache, very weak.  I'm 99% sure this is related to my 2nd dose, and to comply with company policy, I stayed home.  3 other coworkers who also got the shot yesterday also ended up calling in sick for similar symptoms too.