~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

3 hours ago, Jason said:

What does "inactivated" mean here? 

It's the type of vaccine. It's using an inactivated whole virion.

3 hours ago, Joe said:

It works like the J&J and AZ vaccines, I believe.

Similar approaches, but not the same. Covaxin is the only whole-virion inactivated based COVID vaccine afaik.

J&J is using double-stranded RNA through adenovirus, as is AZ, they are using a virus particle within an adenovirus. Covaxin is using adjuvant Alhydroxiquim-II and a whole-virion. It would be better compared to what Merk was attempting (and failed miserably at, unfortunately), I think.

3 hours ago, Jason said:

So J&J may actually be better than the mRNA vaccines? 

No. Covaxin has notably higher efficacy than either AZ or J&J. Covaxin can also be transported and stored at room-temperature for up 90-days.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Jason said:

Yeah but the big question is what's the overlap between that population and the vaccinated population. Do we have any kind of solid estimate on that?

I'm having trouble finding it, but one of the Covid data twitter feeds I read had a thread that estimate at 100 million infections and 100 million first doses delivered, 120-130 million people would have some level of immunity.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I'm having trouble finding it, but one of the Covid data twitter feeds I read had a thread that estimate at 100 million infections and 100 million first doses delivered, 120-130 million people would have some level of immunity.

Yeah what I'm curious about is how they estimated the overlap between the two populations. 

I actually don't have any issue with somebody deciding they would rather stay home than get the vaccine. It's an odd choice to me, especially when using VAERS self-reported data as the basis... 

It's the people who neither want to stay home nor get the vaccine that are the problem.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

That might have been it. There was definitely a 5 in there. Good news either way!

I can't wait!

YVD6ITQC3BCKLHLPV34IQG3NMU.JPG
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Taxi drivers, bartenders, lawyers and other frontline workers will be eligible two weeks ahead of an already accelerated schedule.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I actually don't have any issue with somebody deciding they would rather stay home than get the vaccine. It's an odd choice to me, especially when using VAERS self-reported data as the basis... 

It's the people who neither want to stay home nor get the vaccine that are the problem.

Agreed 100%. My older sister is just being overly paranoid about everything and is terrified of both the virus and the vaccine. But I respect that way more than cousins of mine who refuse to get the vaccine, but are not scared of the virus. That idiocy is indefensible.

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

pfizer is on track to make quite a bit of money. 

There is a major difference between generics and what was being referred to as counterfeits, and Scotty G actually explains it a bit in the clip!

10 minutes ago, Joe said:

bidenjoe2_03292021getty.jpg
THEHILL.COM

President Biden on Monday urged state and local officials to reconsider lifting their coronavirus restrictions and to reinstate mask mandates that have lapsed as the U.S. faces an increase in cases.

Texas is fully open and no mask mandates and numbers are still trending down since that policy change, while some states like NY and NJ that continue to have more restrictions are trending up

Looking at Houston area data the R(t) value is lower this week than last, and the positivity rate on testing went from 5.4% to 4.6%

I think it’s more complicated than we tend to acknowledge.

My complete guess here: open states like Texas and Oklahoma simply have much greater total infection rates than official counts and as such have a greater level of infection derived immunity than states that have had stronger controls on public behavior.

Just now, sblfilms said:

Texas is fully open and no mask mandates and numbers are still trending down since that policy change, while some states like NY and NJ that continue to have more restrictions are trending up

Looking at Houston area data the R(t) value is lower this week than last, and the positivity rate on testing went from 5.4% to 4.6%

My complete guess here: open states like Texas and Oklahoma simply have much greater total infection rates than official counts and as such have a greater level of infection derived immunity than states that have had stronger controls on public behavior.

I think we also have to acknowledge that even as places "open up," a large amount of people are still staying home or practicing better caution than the rules permit. Obviously the people that are practicing less caution have likely been the people doing it the whole time, and have a higher incidence of prior infection (like you said) that reduces some spread.

1 minute ago, CitizenVectron said:

I think we also have to acknowledge that even as places "open up," a large amount of people are still staying home or practicing better caution than the rules permit. Obviously the people that are practicing less caution have likely been the people doing it the whole time, and have a higher incidence of prior infection (like you said) that reduces some spread.

For sure. I’d say a strong majority of people in my corner of Houston still wear masks even in businesses that explicitly don’t require them anymore.

I did see a couple last night walk into a restaurant and literally covered their mouths with their hands, like you would when chewing food and somebody asks you a question 😂 

Like, bruhhhh, have the stones just walk in without your mask

We hit our lowest 7-day average in cases since the second wave on March 7, but then we had a couple weekends of really nice weather plus essentially opening restaurants back up effectively entirely (depends on the place) and cases have started creeping up again. I don't think it will get nearly as bad again, though. Oregon is at 15% fully vaccinated with 25% having at least one dose, which will greatly expand next week.

Some of the rural counties are showing like double digit positive rates - if you factor in unreported/untested cases, they're probably a few vaccinations away from some level of herd immunity.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

It’s certainly far more complicated than mask mandates. The NJ/NY thing is driven by the variant I would guess. But it’s sad that something as harmless as a mask mandate is divisive.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Got my first shot of Pfizer yesterday! Second is scheduled for April 18th. My wife got her first shot of Moderna a week and a half ago, she's getting her second shot on April 15th. 

Everyone getting that exact 21 day spacing but me I see.

28 minutes ago, 69los said:

Safeway near me opened up a bunch of slots for me next week. It's a 2-doser but they didn't say which one.

Still contemplating whether to buy an XXXL t-shirt that I could fit 20 tanktops under. :p

Nobody cares why your medical condition is. The vast majority of sites just require you attest to the fact that you are covered by the current restrictions.