~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

No, it's not a distinction without a difference. At all. We have very limited long range data on these treatments, and the scientists who make them will acknowledge that. We have had damaging vaccines before. But I think you can weigh the information and make the rational choice to go with mRNA vaccines, but you can also opt for something created the traditional way that works better than the majority of vaccines we give out each year.

But say the J&J one didn't exist. The reason I'm saying it's a distinction without a difference is because the alternative is we live in a Covid world for the rest of our lives if they expanded their thinking to everyone thinking their way. The alternative is unconscionable, so vaccine is the only way to go, no?

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Right but you think critically, even when the argument is coming from a friend, family member, coworker, etc. A lot of people aren’t like that- they see someone who they otherwise consider smart make a dubious statement and they don’t dig any deeper, because they are unwilling to challenge their preconceived notions about that person and their line of thinking.

But if that's the conclusion about the average person, we take it as a given, that's incredibly depressing. Though, I agree with you, I always hope that even something as basic as this wouldn't be cause for debate. But then again, anti-maskers. So, damnit, yeah.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

I don’t disagree with your distinction, but I haven’t seen a single person who is on the fence cite the fact that it’s an mRNA vaccine. I think you are giving a lot of people too much credit, but maybe you’ve just talked to some more knowledgeable people. 

I haven't either, but I haven't dug deep with idiots myself.

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

I don’t disagree with your distinction, but I haven’t seen a single person who is on the fence cite the fact that it’s an mRNA vaccine. I think you are giving a lot of people too much credit, but maybe you’ve just talked to some more knowledgeable people. 

My ex who I helped conivnce to get vaccinated made this very argument. In fact she was the one that informed ME that the J&J vaccine was based on tried and true vaccine tech and not the mRNA technology that Phizer and Moderna use. So yeah, people are more informed in some ways than you think and it IS the experimental nature of the newer vaccine that is giving a lot of people pause. Also the swine flu vaccine in the 70's killed 25 people and made 100s sick, if I'm not mistaken. For me, the odds STILL favor getting vaccinated over not, but again, lets not paint everyone who is hesitant as peons.

23 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

God damn this country is dumb as fuck.

IMO the reason for this country's obesity problem and our inability to fight COVID effectively are at least tangentially related. Its our collective inability to put off instant gratification and endure not so fun times in order to reach a far off goal.

36 minutes ago, Amazatron said:

God damn this country is dumb as fuck.

11 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

IMO the reason for this country's obesity problem and our inability to fight COVID effectively are at least tangentially related. Its our collective inability to put off instant gratification and endure not so fun times in order to reach a far off goal.

I'm not disputing the collective intellectual capacity of this country, but how do you guys explain the surges that other more intellectually superior and self discplined countries are going through?

18 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

My ex who I helped conivnce to get vaccinated made this very argument. In fact she was the one that informed ME that the J&J vaccine was based on tried and true vaccine tech and not the mRNA technology that Phizer and Moderna use. So yeah, people are more informed in some ways than you think and it IS the experimental nature of the newer vaccine that is giving a lot of people pause. Also the swine flu vaccine in the 70's killed 25 people and made 100s sick, if I'm not mistaken. For me, the odds STILL favor getting vaccinated over not, but again, lets not paint everyone who is hesitant as peons.

AZ is based on ‘tried and true’ methods and it has killed 30 people already.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

AZ is based on ‘tried and true’ methods and it has killed 30 people already.

Exactly... I get why people are hesitiant about these new vaccines. They were developed incredibly fast and I was hesitant to take them myself at first. Two things changed my mind... one was when I found out how the mRNA vaccines worked, that made me feel better and two, the numbers of folks who have experienced adverse effects from these vaccines is still incredibly small compared to deaths from COVID. If I'm going to take my chances with one or the other, the numbers dictate I would be better off taking a chance with the vaccine. From a numbers standpoint it makes sense but lets not act like people don't have legit reason to be at least wary of these vaccines. 

14 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I'm not disputing the collective intellectual capacity of this country, but how do you guys explain the surges that other more intellectually superior and self discplined countries are going through?

Because the entire western world is soft as fuck just to differing degrees. Poor countries have different reasons for surges. 

3 hours ago, Chris- said:

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Hi group I was just at my Dentist office for a cleaning and a check up and found out my Hygienist still has not gotten her Covid vaccine. She feels very strongly about only getting the J & J vaccine...

Posts like this everywhere in the NJ FB group. I still think it's silly, but hey, whatever works!

11 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I was talking about Western countries like Italy, France, Germany and England. 

Yes us Americans aren't special when it comes to our inability to endure hardships for something that lacks instant gratification. 

Not to mention all the other bullshit in the mix like anti-vaxxeres, COVID deniers, the "muh freedumb" crowd. Unfortunately Americans aren't unique.

20 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Yes us Americans aren't special when it comes to our inability to endure hardships for something that lacks instant gratification. 

Not to mention all the other bullshit in the mix like anti-vaxxeres, COVID deniers, the "muh freedumb" crowd. Unfortunately Americans aren't unique.

Which is my point.

7 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

No amount of social media would convince me though about something that is pretty commonly accepted to do to the point we do it to all our babies and children (vaccines). How are they so easily swayed the other way despite what's already commonly accepted and understood? It would take a mountain of very convincing evidence from legit experts to change my mind on something like vaccines.

This reminds me of a conversation I used to have with someone at work who said he'd be an awesome homeless person. But I told him you probably would because you have common sense, the people who are currently homeless usually aren't quite right.

7 hours ago, sblfilms said:

It’s not vaccines generally, it’s mRNA vaccines specifically. Which “experimental” is still poor language to use, but there have been no mass vaccinations using mRNA tech to date so it IS different than what they pumped into their babies. That’s actually why I’ve tried to help walk people through the differences and why the J&J vaccine should especially give no heartburn as it’s based on very tried and true methodology.

When I heard about the difference between the vaccines I was actually more exited about getting an mRNA vaccine. You don't actually get the virus but it teaches your body to detect the virus and fight it off. Exciting because this potentially could be used for a cure for cancer, showing your body how to fight off cells it otherwise wouldn't be able to.

12 hours ago, Jason said:

You know when you're watching Star Trek and they whip up a vaccine for a new virus in a few minutes by just sticking a sample in the computer? That's basically what the mRNA vaccines are.

Yeah, mRNA vaccines are the way forward and I hope the large scale success of these Covid mRNA vaccines ends with a lot of people jumping on the bandwagon. Incredible technology

14 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Red States, COVID isn't real and actually its probably good for you!

The spread between states is pretty small in regards to doses administered as a percentage of population. If you look at the 40 states in the middle, they are all within about 5 percentage points. You won’t see the hesitancy issue really show up for another 4-6 weeks. Right now the issue is mostly about helping people find appointments. Many folks struggled early on to find them and don’t realize now that there are a lot of available slots.

Important to start fighting hesitancy now though