~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

42 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

He's the former head of the CDC not your crazy Uncle so...

I'll say it again, Redfield was terrible before the pandemic, during the pandemic, and continues to be after the pandemic. He is a total clown whose utter incompetence went mostly unnoticed until people started dieing.  

I was on the parking shuttle with just the bus driver and myself. A sweet older lady. Asked her if she’s been vaccinated yet and said no, it’s all experimental, etc.

By the end of it she said she’d really consider the J&J vaccine after I explained the situation. I think we are all going to have to become advocates for the vaccine because there are a lot of people who are just completely ignorant about these things but actually do respond well to non-confrontational explanations. Be caring and people respond to that.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

I was on the parking shuttle with just the bus driver and myself. A sweet older lady. Asked her if she’s been vaccinated yet and said no, it’s all experimental, etc.

By the end of it she said she’d really consider the J&J vaccine after I explained the situation. I think we are all going to have to become advocates for the vaccine because there are a lot of people who are just completely ignorant about these things but actually do respond well to non-confrontational explanations. Be caring and people respond to that.

You said, "If you don't take the vaccine I'mma pour this bottle of piss on you"

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I managed to convince a friend of mine to get it and my brother who was skeptical. Still working on my sister who I was surprised to find out doesn't want it.

I don't understand people against vaccines. We all get then as babies and children and then we get booster shots every 10 years for them. How can people not be for what they got as babies and children? Do they rehect booster shots? Why? It all doesn't make sense.

Experimental? I mean, its that ir die by the virus. Which option is better hmmmmm.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't understand people against vaccines. We all get then as babies and children and then we get booster shots every 10 years for them. How can people not be for what they got as babies and children? Do they rehect booster shots? Why? It all doesn't make sense.

Experimental? I mean, its that ir die by the virus. Which option is better hmmmmm.

Social media, and the misinformation and false equivalences it enables. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I've always said that in order to convince someone of something, especially if it's something they're wrong about, you can't be confrontational and condescending to them. As much as we all get angry at the super, die hard conspiracy theorists, and want to yell at them about how stupid they are, that won't convince them, it's just going to make them defensive, and feel like they're backed up into a corner. 

It's like religion and asshole atheists who think they're going to convince religious people that God isn't real by calling them superstitious, and dumb for believing in fairy tales. 

The real way to convince people of anything is to treat them with respect, and calmly explain things to them. Hopefully they're willing to listen. 

44 minutes ago, Joe said:

NJ getting walloped, especially my county.

However, there is good news!

biorxiv_logo_homepage7-5-small.png
WWW.BIORXIV.ORG

bioRxiv - the preprint server for biology, operated by Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a research and educational institution

So the current vaccines are effective against the NYC varients.  Good to know.

1 hour ago, Chris- said:

Social media, and the misinformation and false equivalences it enables. 

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Also not having firsthand experience with the diseases the vaccines prevent. 

No amount of social media would convince me though about something that is pretty commonly accepted to do to the point we do it to all our babies and children (vaccines). How are they so easily swayed the other way despite what's already commonly accepted and understood? It would take a mountain of very convincing evidence from legit experts to change my mind on something like vaccines.

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

No amount of social media would convince me though about something that is pretty commonly accepted to do to the point we do it to all our babies and children (vaccines). How are they so easily swayed the other way despite what's already commonly accepted and understood? It would take a mountain of very convincing evidence from legit experts to change my mind on something like vaccines.

It’s not vaccines generally, it’s mRNA vaccines specifically. Which “experimental” is still poor language to use, but there have been no mass vaccinations using mRNA tech to date so it IS different than what they pumped into their babies. That’s actually why I’ve tried to help walk people through the differences and why the J&J vaccine should especially give no heartburn as it’s based on very tried and true methodology.

Just now, sblfilms said:

It’s not vaccines generally, it’s mRNA vaccines specifically. Which “experimental” is still poor language to use, but there have been no mass vaccinations using mRNA tech to date so it IS different than what they pumped into their babies. That’s actually why I’ve tried to help walk people through the differences and why the J&J vaccine should especially give no heartburn as it’s based on very tried and true methodology.

To me this seems like a distinction without a difference, an approved vaccine by scientists and doctors is an approved vaccine by scientists and doctors, the specific tech is irrelevant at that point isn't it? And do people rejecting the vaccine really know this distinction and understand what it means? We're not talking about PhD's here. :p

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Yeah, like I have mentioned previously, the amount of people specifically looking for the J&J vaccine in the NJ vaccine group is incredible. I think that that being the deciding factor is dumb, but if it gets these folks to get the jab, I will gladly stfu.

9 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

To me this seems like a distinction without a difference, an approved vaccine by scientists and doctors is an approved vaccine by scientists and doctors, the specific tech is irrelevant at that point isn't it? And do people rejecting the vaccine really know this distinction and understand what it means? We're not talking about PhD's here. :p

No, it's not a distinction without a difference. At all. We have very limited long range data on these treatments, and the scientists who make them will acknowledge that. We have had damaging vaccines before. But I think you can weigh the information and make the rational choice to go with mRNA vaccines, but you can also opt for something created the traditional way that works better than the majority of vaccines we give out each year.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Yeah, like I have mentioned previously, the amount of people specifically looking for the J&J vaccine in the NJ vaccine group is incredible. I think that that being the deciding factor is dumb, but if it gets these folks to get the jab, I will gladly stfu.

I think it is overly cautious, but not dumb. Medical treatments are...pretty intimate and feeling trust and comfort is pretty important for anybody considering injecting a foreign substance into their body. Knowing that one treatment is based on very well tested methods over decades of time combined with the benefits of only a single dose make it an attractive option for people who aren't very deep in the weeds of this stuff.

I had to explain to my anti-vax ex girlfriend about thinks like peer review. A lot of regular people don't have any understanding of scientific process and just think "pharmaceutical companies = bad, vaccines funded by those companies means vaccines = bad."

23 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Right but you think critically, even when the argument is coming from a friend, family member, coworker, etc. A lot of people aren’t like that- they see someone who they otherwise consider smart make a dubious statement and they don’t dig any deeper, because they are unwilling to challenge their preconceived notions about that person and their line of thinking.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t disagree with your distinction, but I haven’t seen a single person who is on the fence cite the fact that it’s an mRNA vaccine. I think you are giving a lot of people too much credit, but maybe you’ve just talked to some more knowledgeable people. 

3 minutes ago, Chris- said:

I don’t disagree with your distinction, but I haven’t seen a single person who is on the fence cite the fact that it’s an mRNA vaccine. I think you are giving a lot of people too much credit, but maybe you’ve just talked to some more knowledgeable people. 

The old lady on the bus was absolutely talking about mRNA even though she didn’t use that word. I’ve had lots of these conversations and people know it’s something new and different even if they don’t know the specifics.

I just got out of the hospital following a weeklong heroin binge in which I managed to fling and bang my body around with such discontent that I ended up with a rare liver and kidney disease called 

1200px-RhabdoUrine.JPG
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

which had me laid up in the ER getting hemoglobin through an IV in the hallway, because every ward in the hospital was overflowing with either covid patients or drug overdoses. A week later and I STILL HAVENT GOTTEN COVID :silly:

That’s right folks. I’m living “that” American dream. Pray for me. (Not really, I’m not worth the prayer energy, but I am better now)

• Like 2
  • Sad 3
  • Shocked 2