~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

90% of the work done in biotech for big pharma is done at the university level. Much of the time, the bulk of the money even comes from government. The entire industry should really be nationalized (along with anything tangentially related to health services). Just have government give money to research schools to keep developing new drugs. 

"But then we won't get the right drugs for the right diseases," you might say. Oh, like now, when big pharma dumps 10x as much money into hair loss and erection treatment as they do for life-saving treatments with a smaller potential profit?

42 minutes ago, Jason said:

Have any studies or reports nailed down how DeSantis is fudging the numbers? I remember hearing some stuff about excess pneumonia deaths, but than maybe those were not right etc.

Because the guy is out there doing a victory lap for 30,000+ dead, which itself keeps appearing to be a malicious undercounting.

1 minute ago, Chairslinger said:

Have any studies or reports nailed down how DeSantis is fudging the numbers? I remember hearing some stuff about excess pneumonia deaths, but than maybe those were not right etc.

Because the guy is out there doing a victory lap for 30,000+ dead, which itself keeps appearing to be a malicious undercounting.

One thing I saw is not counting deaths from snowbirds who spend the entire winter in Florida every year but claim residency somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

My anger at this fucking lady is consuming me while I wait, this is probably why I have hypertension which allowed me to be here anyway. Life finds a way. 

Those Moderna side effects are no joke!

44 minutes ago, Anathema- said:

Holy shit I got a text like an hour ago that it's my turn and I have an appointment for after work Tuesday and it's just around the corner this system is great I love Virginia. 

Just saw someone on Twitter praising Virginia doing a good job on communicating things to people. Did it automatically book you an appointment or did it just tell you to go book one? 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Just saw someone on Twitter praising Virginia doing a good job on communicating things to people. Did it automatically book you an appointment or did it just tell you to go book one? 

I got a text with a link, put in my name and birthdate and when & where I wanted to go and that was it. Pre-registration was just asking my qualification status. It was all super easy and mostly passive, which has its own issues. I got a text but my wife didn't so I'll probably be calling around to local pharmacies starting tomorrow. 

Just now, Brick said:

Girlfriend got her first shot of the Moderna vaccine today. She gets her second shot on the 4th of July. Damn that's a long wait. I thought it wasn't supposed to be more than a few weeks between shots. 

murica GIF

57 minutes ago, Brick said:

Girlfriend got her first shot of the Moderna vaccine today. She gets her second shot on the 4th of July. Damn that's a long wait. I thought it wasn't supposed to be more than a few weeks between shots. 

The choice is either half the pop gets 95% protection by July, or everyone gets 50 to 80% protection by July. The latter makes much more sense when supply is limited.

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

scott atlas deserves to be hanged

Why is anyone still interviewing him?  He was a radiologist elevated because he was the only MD the Trump team could find to justify doing nothing.  He wanted to take the Zapp Brannigan to fighting a pandemic.

Got my shot on Thursday, the J&J vaccine. I was fine for the most part but then in the middle of the night I started to feel flu-y. I ended up with a fever of 103 for most of the night and I started to seriously consider becoming an anti-vaxxer :lol: I've been fine since. My mom who got the shot with me had some mild side effects but I was down for the count for most of Thursday night.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, finaljedi said:

Why is anyone still interviewing him?  He was a radiologist elevated because he was the only MD the Trump team could find to justify doing nothing.  He wanted to take the Zapp Brannigan to fighting a pandemic.

He was with the winner of the pandemic Ron desantis

Oh man, if you had any doubt about whether all the drum banging about "wait your turn for your vaccine" has gone absurdly overboard, I was just talking to someone on the Los Angeles subreddit who was upset because they thought they don't qualify under the health conditions category despite having two preexisting conditions. A little digging and it turns out they fucking had open heart surgery as a kid yet somehow thought they didn't qualify under the LA County medical conditions eligibility list, which includes heart conditions.

2 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I’m wondering if I should take the day off of work after I get my second shot. I’m supposed to work a double on the 8th, and I have a feeling I’m going to get hit HARD with side effects.

I would at least give your job notice if I were you. Everyone I've known who got their second shot were hit pretty hard.

3 hours ago, MarSolo said:

I’m wondering if I should take the day off of work after I get my second shot. I’m supposed to work a double on the 8th, and I have a feeling I’m going to get hit HARD with side effects.

I'd let your job know, but it's FAR from guaranteed that you will have side effects other than the arm pain.