~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

17 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Can't find a single appointment in California

Cali friends have had good luck with CovidVaccineCA on twitter

I guess my city is overrun with the B117 variant, the assumption is that over 90% of cases are suspected. The rest of my province has seen a big drop over the last month, but my city has remained high (50-60 cases per day, pop 280,000). Lots of cases in schools, too, though the districts are insisting there is no spread inside the classroom. Of course. However, that is why my city got 100% of the surprise AstraZeneca shipment, so at least the province is dealing with it (though they also lifted some restrictions last week...)

Meanwhile, not being dummies, Canada expands the use of AstraZeneca to all people (including 65+), citing real-world proof that it is safe for all ages:

imageRedirect?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsyndicati
WWW.CJME.COM

OTTAWA — The National Advisory Committee on Immunization says there is now enough "real-world evidence" to show the Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine is both safe and effective for seniors. The decision reverses a recommendation made by the body on M...

Health Canada's Chief Medical Adviser Dr. Supriya Sharma said last week there is no biological evidence that would show how the vaccine could cause blood clots. The company said a study of more than 17 million patients who received the vaccine did not identify any blood clots that were caused by the vaccine, and Thrombosis Canada also issued a statement saying the vaccine was safe.

Also, this interest tidbit from Canadian government analysis of real-world data:

She says while the clinical trial data show the two mRNA vaccines from Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna were more effective than AstraZeneca's, the data on the vaccines since they began being widely used shows similar levels of effectiveness.

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

Yes for HBP today. 

WWW.SANDIEGOCOUNTY.GOv

I don't know what part of the county you are in, but try the smaller centers. Or if you have Scripps health or Sharp Rees Stealy, try your primary care. I've heard of people being able to get it in non mega cite places. 

37 minutes ago, Chris- said:

Just nabbed Shot #1 for mah lady, Shot #2 goes in my dad’s arm Thursday. Now I just need a spot for ya boy and we will be good to go. 

Ladies and gentlemen, at approximately 11:35 am tomorrow I will receive my first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. 

• Like 5

Just now, ort said:

It seems like we've hit the point where highly motived internet savvy people can get a shot if they are hustling to find one...

Tons of people I know are getting them... eligible people and non-eligible.

Depends on the state. Connecticut has managed to be highly restrictive of who can get the vaccine while also maximizing vaccine usage. Pretty impressive!

7 minutes ago, Joe said:

Well, that was quick! Grats bro. I go for shot numero dos tomorrow.

Yep, found out that the big clinic at Heinz Field has its own registration site (separate from the normal Giant Eagle scheduling site) that updates regularly throughout the day, so the past two days I’ve been checking regularly. Got close a couple times, got lucky today. 

• Like 1

If they can stick to this pace, where like 3+ million shots are going into arms every day, we can be out of this mess pretty dang fast in my opinion.

I know all the Fauci nerds of the world are all like... "we have to wear masks until the end of the year and blah blah blah..." I don't think it's gonna happen. We're gonna be sucking and fucking in the streets in like 2 months because people are sick of this shit and ready to get back to real life.

I'm not saying being overly cautious isn't the correct move, I'm just saying, Americans aren't gonna do that. If they see people aren't dying anymore and the numbers are down, it's gonna be hard to convince people to continue with all of these precautions.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ort said:

If they can stick to this pace, where like 3+ million shots are going into arms every day, we can be out of this mess pretty dang fast in my opinion.

I know all the Fauci nerds of the world are all like... "we have to wear masks until the end of the year and blah blah blah..." I don't think it's gonna happen. We're gonna be sucking and fucking in the streets in like 2 months because people are sick of this shit and ready to get back to real life.

I'm not saying being overly cautious isn't the correct move, I'm just saying, Americans aren't gonna do that. If they see people aren't dying anymore and the numbers are down, it's gonna be hard to convince people to continue with all of these precautions.

bruh

1 minute ago, Chris- said:

Yep, found out that the big clinic at Heinz Field has its own registration site (separate from the normal Giant Eagle scheduling site) that updates regularly throughout the day, so the past two days I’ve been checking regularly. Got close a couple times, got lucky today. 

It still blows my mind that states don't have statewide vaccination portals and that you have to rely on the pharmacy or vaccination site to sign up

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

It still blows my mind that states don't have statewide vaccination portals and that you have to rely on the pharmacy or vaccination site to sign up

PA’s is literally just a GIS map with a bunch of contact information. Absolutely worthless. 

4 minutes ago, ort said:

The data keeps streaming in and looking better and better that vaccinated people are 90% protected from transmitting the virus. Once vaccinations slow down in June as most of the very willing people have had both doses, it’s over. The government will have to change tactics toward incentivizing the holdouts. Summer 2021 will be back to normal for the majority of states.

12 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Let's bet on who will be the last user to get their first shot. I am thinking someone in Ontario. But I will probably be not too far in front (I am guessing early June, for myself).

Probably me. :(

On the bright side my parents in cali got their shots last weekend and my in laws should have theirs in the next week or so (just got the email to pick a time slot). 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The Meadowlands releases appointments like clockwork every midnight. You have to begin refreshing at 11:59 just to be ready, have all your auto-fill ready to go, and have your birthday in your clipboard to paste as soon as the appointments drop. Without assistance, this is basically impossible for an elderly person to do. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

The data keeps streaming in and looking better and better that vaccinated people are 90% protected from transmitting the virus. Once vaccinations slow down in June as most of the very willing people have had both doses, it’s over. The government will have to change tactics toward incentivizing the holdouts. Summer 2021 will be back to normal for the majority of states.

I mean you look at at the Bloomberg website and the US overall will get to 75% in five months at the rate of 2.4mm shots per day on a 2 dose vaccine(a number which is steadily increasing). That's august!  Virginia is 4 months to 75%, and Georgia is 7 months! Those are the best and worst I've seen, and doesn't really account for the one shot J&J! States like VA might be in great shape by Late April or May if you combine reasonable restrictions on gathering, masking, and vaccine distribution with the ability to finally test and trace known cases.

Summer is looking better and better every day.

9 minutes ago, Chris- said:

PA’s is literally just a GIS map with a bunch of contact information. Absolutely worthless. 

Wow. 

1 minute ago, Joe said:

The Meadowlands releases appointments like clockwork every midnight. You have to begin refreshing at 11:59 just to be ready, have all your auto-fill ready to go, and have your birthday in your clipboard to paste as soon as the appointments drop. Without assistance, this is basically impossible for an elderly person to do. 

Unless the site you're using lets you make a profile and you can store your insurance information ahead of time, I'd say don't bother inputting your insurance if it's making you type it in every time since it increases the likelihood that you wind up missing out on an appointment from going too slow, just click the button saying you don't have any so it lets you skip that part. You can always try to provide it later if you really want to. 

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Unless the site you're using lets you make a profile and you can store your insurance information ahead of time, I'd say don't bother inputting your insurance if it's making you type it in every time since it increases the likelihood that you wind up missing out on an appointment from going too slow, just click the button saying you don't have any so it lets you skip that part. You can always try to provide it later if you really want to. 

Oh I've been on the entering no insurance game for a while. It speeds everything up massively!

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

When I signed up I just had to give my insurance carrier not group number or member ID. Just insane that you need to give any more information

6 minutes ago, Joestradamus said:

WOW, so very little in the Bay Area. :( My sister keeps trying to find something but no luck so far... no wonder. Thanks for the source though, I'll keep an eye on it!

The myturn.ca.gov site has been shit up with showing you a bunch of places like CVS and Safeway where it doesn't actually tell you directly on the myturn.ca.gov site whether or not there's appointments. It's pretty atrocious right now.