~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I remember Sony canceling a bunch of gaming events and wondering if people would think it was an overreaction. The Game Developers Conference was honestly the thing that made my ears perk.

Then came one team dropping out of March Madness, and then another, and then the dominos fell. I feel like some teams pulled out before NBA canceled, but once the NBA did, then the NCAA did, and that got me anxious about the whole thing because now I'm confused as to what's going on and how bad this is.

Also a nice reminder about @Kal-El814's favorite person, Ron Paul, who said, "It is ironic to see the same Democrats who tried to impeach President Trump last month for abuse of power demanding that the Trump Administration grab more power and authority in the name of fighting a virus that thus far has killed less than 100 Americans," in March, putting him at the same level of HS/college spring breakers who thought people were overreacting at the time.

The difference being many Spring Breakers were re-interviewed and regretted what they said.

I live in a small place (population 530), so life didn't change a lot until May for me, when the band and government ended our Halibut and bait fishing licenses for the year. 

There hasn't been drastic changes outside of not working, this place is too small to really notice a big change. 

My wifes life changed a lot more than mine. She's a teacher, and a far more social person than me. She actually gets her second shot tomorrow. I get my first on the 15th.

32 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

I live in a small place (population 530), so life didn't change a lot until May for me, when the band and government ended our Halibut and bait fishing licenses for the year. 

There hasn't been drastic changes outside of not working, this place is too small to really notice a big change. 

My wifes life changed a lot more than mine. She's a teacher, and a far more social person than me. She actually gets her second shot tomorrow. I get my first on the 15th.

Are you driving the Ferrari or the Viper to the vaccination center?

• Shocked 1

I have a curious question to ask you all, since we've all covered what we were doing a year ago, as things return back to normal at the end of the year. What rituals/habits/changes you picked up over the last year do you think you will continue to do going forward?

I personally see myself probably still wearing a mask peak cold/flu season as it's been great not getting sick with a cold this year. The year prior I had a new coworker who was constantly getting sick and it was getting me sick since he had the desk next to me and we were constantly collaborating on the same project. I'll also most likely continue my ritual of wiping everything down with clean wipes that comes in from outside (groceries, packages).

29 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I have a curious question to ask you all, since we've all covered what we were doing a year ago, as things return back to normal at the end of the year. What rituals/habits/changes you picked up over the last year do you think you will continue to do going forward?

I personally see myself probably still wearing a mask peak cold/flu season as it's been great not getting sick with a cold this year. The year prior I had a new coworker who was constantly getting sick and it was getting me sick since he had the desk next to me and we were constantly collaborating on the same project. I'll also most likely continue my ritual of wiping everything down with clean wipes that comes in from outside (groceries, packages).

I absolutely would not be opposed to my elementary aged kids needing to wear a mask during cold/flu season at school.  Usually by now a cold would have been circulating between the four of us in cyclical fashion. And both my kids and wife tend to be wiped out for nearly a week at a time. First time in 8 years no one has been sick at least once this time of year.

43 minutes ago, chakoo said:

I can see myself continuing to wear a mask during cold/flu season.

39 minutes ago, chakoo said:

The mask thing seems like a good idea. I really have no problem wearing a mask. I can definitely see myself continuing to wear masks when attending crowded events like football games for example. 

I imagine it’ll be a little tough to get used to sitting shoulder to shoulder with strangers once again. 

15 minutes ago, Joe said:

Only issue I had was arm soreness, Second dose is the bitch so you have to prepare yourself for that. But fatigue, chills, and a low-grade fever aren't exactly the end of the world either.

How long did you have those side effects, and when did you get them?

I've been mighty anxious reading this thread, seeing all of the success stories.

Finally, one of my own. My mom will get her first on Saturday and 2nd in early April. Maryland, as a whole, has been pretty shitty with distribution. She lives in the hardest hit county, is 72, a diabetic, and a smoker. I pre-registered her in mid-January through the county site, about a week before her phase was supposed to start so it's about damn time!

• Like 1

Just now, sblfilms said:

Seems like a random comment given the article.

He was the president, living in the White House. He got the COVID vaccine, as president, in the White House, in January.

It’s March. We just learned this through a former aide. 

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

He was the president, living in the White House. He got the COVID vaccine, as president, in the White House, in January.

Ah, ok. This makes sense! 

I think what you're saying is that it's fucked up that he didn't announce publicly that he got the vaccine, thus reducing vaccine hesitancy among his idiotic constituency (White Republicans).  

Edit: I initially thought you were just mad that he got the vaccine early in general.

5 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Is there something to be gained from this knowledge?

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Ah, ok. This makes sense! 

I think what you're saying is that it's fucked up that he didn't announce publicly that he got the vaccine, thus reducing vaccine hesitancy among his idiotic constituency (White Republicans).  

Edit: I initially thought you were just mad that he got the vaccine early in general.

Correct. I could have qualify my reply a bit more.