~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

I remember last year when The Last of Us Part II was delayed by a month from May to June, and people were upset, and I was all, hey they probably don't really want to release during a lockdown, so it's understandable, besides the lockdowns will probably be over in June anyway. I ate crow for that one. 

2 hours ago, Brick said:

I remember last year when The Last of Us Part II was delayed by a month from May to June, and people were upset, and I was all, hey they probably don't really want to release during a lockdown, so it's understandable, besides the lockdowns will probably be over in June anyway. I ate crow for that one. 

Don't beat yourself up, things were different in the before times

MSF287940.jpg?h=32bcf029&itok=ZZOOcS_O
WWW.DOCTORSWITHOUTBORDERS.ORG

Matthias Kennes is a registered nurse and medical referent for the Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) COVID-19 response in Hebron, in the Israeli-occupied West Bank. Here, he writes about the striking...

• Sad 1

A year ago, I was in Italy. I got about 2 days away from getting stuck there. It wouldn't have been the end of the world as I was staying with family when I left, but it got damn close. When I got there, coronavirus wasn't really a big deal yet, then after a few days my brother texted me like "hey, if you were planning on going to Milan, maybe don't." Then they closed the airport in Milan, then the train station. The last day I was in Rome was when they started curfews and canceled schools. a day or two later flights started getting canceled.

Then, the fucked up thing is that I had to go back to work in a bar. My company said that I couldn't come back without a negative test, but at that time you couldn't get a test unless you were basically already dead, so I was like "what do you want me to do?" They had me go to the doctor to check for symptoms, I didn't have any, so I got a note saying I was A-OK and got back to work spreading the virus all around (allegedly). We shut down less than a week later.

That feels like 10 years ago now.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

A year ago, I was in Italy. I got about 2 days away from getting stuck there. It wouldn't have been the end of the world as I was staying with family when I left, but it got damn close. When I got there, coronavirus wasn't really a big deal yet, then after a few days my brother texted me like "hey, if you were planning on going to Milan, maybe don't." Then they closed the airport in Milan, then the train station. The last day I was in Rome was when they started curfews and canceled schools. a day or two later flights started getting canceled.

Then, the fucked up thing is that I had to go back to work in a bar. My company said that I couldn't come back without a negative test, but at that time you couldn't get a test unless you were basically already dead, so I was like "what do you want me to do?" They had me go to the doctor to check for symptoms, I didn't have any, so I got a note saying I was A-OK and got back to work spreading the virus all around (allegedly). We shut down less than a week later.

That feels like 10 years ago now.

Wait, you're patient zero?!

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
3000.jpeg
APNEWS.COM

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The U.S. military on Wednesday began delivering shots at coronavirus vaccination centers in Texas and New York and announced that service members will start staffing four...

Uh oh, here comes Jade Helm 2: Secret of the Ooze.

So for those in the PA/NJ/DE area like @marioandsonic and @MarSolo and @Spork3245 and you got the vaccine or have an appointment, seriously, how did you do it? I'm struggling to get one at CVS, Wal-Mart, and Rite Aid. I used VaxxMax but they say I don't qualify (when I tried to pre-qualify) even though I lied about my job and lied about being a smoker to help myself pre-qualify (I think my birthdate is what did me in). What are the tricks? Refreshing the CVS appointment page doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. I live in Philadelphia if that gives you a sense of locations I can reach (I have a car and am happy to drive if need be).

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

So for those in the PA/NJ/DE area like @marioandsonic and @MarSolo and @Spork3245 and you got the vaccine or have an appointment, seriously, how did you do it? I'm struggling to get one at CVS, Wal-Mart, and Rite Aid. I used VaxxMax but they say I don't qualify (when I tried to pre-qualify) even though I lied about my job and lied about being a smoker to help myself pre-qualify (I think my birthdate is what did me in). What are the tricks? Refreshing the CVS appointment page doesn't seem like a good strategy to me. I live in Philadelphia if that gives you a sense of locations I can reach (I have a car and am happy to drive if need be).

It took my mom making a lot of calls and spending a lot of time on hold to get appointments in NJ.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

It took my mom making a lot of calls and spending a lot of time on hold to get appointments in NJ.

Ah makes sense - what places did she call? Like CVS's and such? So I should directly call instead of trying it online? Cause Wal-Mart said I have to do it online and that calling in doesn't work and CVS's website states that appointments are only made online. 

4 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Ah makes sense - what places did she call? Like CVS's and such? So I should directly call instead of trying it online? Cause Wal-Mart said I have to do it online and that calling in doesn't work and CVS's website states that appointments are only made online. 

I'm not sure exactly how many places she called and where she called. I know my mom eventually got an appointment with some kind of Orthodox Jewish run health center. Not sure if they had a website too or if they only do phone.

Also I don't think driving will do you a lot of good because I think you need to either live or work in the county you're getting vaccinated in for all the places you could realistically drive to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

I'm not sure exactly how many places she called and where she called. I know my mom eventually got an appointment with some kind of Orthodox Jewish run health center. Not sure if they had a website too or if they only do phone.

Also I don't think driving will do you a lot of good because I think you need to either live or work in the county you're getting vaccinated in for all the places you could realistically drive to.

Sblfilms said that Wal-Mart's done care - he said I could cross state lines at least with Wal-Mart and get vaccinated because when he did it they didn't bother doing any real ID'ing, etc. But I imagine other places are more strict. I'll try more local health centers over CVS, Rite-Aid, etc. as well to see if I can get it that way though. Thanks for the heads up on your process/experience. 

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

My dad's girlfriend got hers, my dad is getting his in a couple weeks. Still months out for us normies in Oregon, as far as I can tell.

Biden said we'll have enough for 300 million people by the end of July a couple of weeks ago and that wasn't including Johnson and Johnson. And the end of July is five months from now. We're getting close to distribution capacity becoming the bottleneck instead of vaccine supply, and Biden is prepared to help with providing manpower on the distribution front. 

1 hour ago, Greatoneshere said:

Sblfilms said that Wal-Mart's done care - he said I could cross state lines at least with Wal-Mart and get vaccinated because when he did it they didn't bother doing any real ID'ing, etc. But I imagine other places are more strict. I'll try more local health centers over CVS, Rite-Aid, etc. as well to see if I can get it that way though. Thanks for the heads up on your process/experience. 

All of the city and county agencies around the Houston region explicitly say you do not need any proof of residency to get the vaccine. Obviously could be different where you are at, but thus far I have not heard of anybody going either to private or public facilities and having to prove they lived in the area. Which makes sense, you would likely cause massive numbers of undocumented people to stay away if you were "papers please"ing everybody, and we need as many people as possible to get this thing.

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

Biden said we'll have enough for 300 million people by the end of July a couple of weeks ago and that wasn't including Johnson and Johnson. And the end of July is five months from now. We're getting close to distribution capacity becoming the bottleneck instead of vaccine supply, and Biden is prepared to help with providing manpower on the distribution front. 

The paper work is a bottleneck. My first dose had 3 pages and the second was two pages. North Carolina isn't taking insurance so it was just demographic and health information. No ones going to read that so why bother. Taking a picture of your ID should be good enough. 

I think what we're going to see is that the US will have the supply to vaccinate everyone by July, and Canada for September. However...I wouldn't be surprised if the actual vaccination effort continues for 2-3 months longer due to logistics at the state/provincial level, as well as general hassle of getting people to make appointments and actually do it. 

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

All of the city and county agencies around the Houston region explicitly say you do not need any proof of residency to get the vaccine. Obviously could be different where you are at, but thus far I have not heard of anybody going either to private or public facilities and having to prove they lived in the area. Which makes sense, you would likely cause massive numbers of undocumented people to stay away if you were "papers please"ing everybody, and we need as many people as possible to get this thing.

Makes total sense, thank you for elaborating, it helps! My search for a vaccine for my wife and myself continues haha.

I live and work by a pretty major hospital. One of the doctors told me they currently have zero covid patients. The neighboring counties are going from 25 to 50% capacity tomorrow. If numbers don't rocket up, we'll probably be following within a couple weeks. 50% was what we were open at before the "second wave.' hopefully hospitalizations stay low. I just worry about opening up too fast again, like last time, considering most of us normies aren't vaccinated.