~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Mom, Dad, and wife got first doses of the Derna today. FYI: Walmart only asks that you sign an attestation that you qualify, no request for proof in case you are able to get an appointment

4 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

My brother lied saying he was a smoker and got his first vaccine. I don’t feel comfortable doing it so I will wait. I really don’t want to take a vaccine from someone who is high risk. 

The truth is everybody is high risk, either from the infection itself or from spreading it. We all need to get the shot even if we don’t fall into these categories (though my family all does). I wouldn’t begrudge anybody who lied to get a shot, especially if you’re a normal person who has to interact with society

1 hour ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

(I realize the seemingly dubious nature of passing off the tweets of some person with a furry avatar, but I've seen this other places)

Could this also mean the vaccines appear to be less effective against this variant just because you're more likely to encounter someone who's walking around while contagious with it than with the initial version, due to people being contagious beyond the recommended quarantine window?

Just found out my 94 year old neighbors both passed away earlier this month from covid. Lived in their home for more than 30 years. Their family think the wife got it while in the hospital. 

The guy was really sweet and loved talking to my daughter (masked, outside, and distanced) so he will be missed.

• Sad 3

I’m honestly shocked my parents went and got the vax. I did post the screenshots of their appointments into the family group text (my parents, siblings + their spouses) to give more heat!

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Mom, Dad, and wife got first doses of the Derna today. FYI: Walmart only asks that you sign an attestation that you qualify, no request for proof in case you are able to get an appointment

Does this mean I can cross state lines into a Wal-Mart in a state where Wal-Mart's are giving out vaccines (since PA still isn't) and I can get it?

50 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

Does this mean I can cross state lines into a Wal-Mart in a state where Wal-Mart's are giving out vaccines (since PA still isn't) and I can get it?

Absolutely. Never had to show ID, no insurance, and they didn’t even charge the administration fee that they legally can. Just have to attest to being eligible under current guidelines.

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Absolutely. Never had to show ID, no insurance, and they didn’t even charge the administration fee that they legally can. Just have to attest to being eligible under current guidelines.

Damn.... So once that freeze is over I'm going to Texas for a month to get my vaccine shot. Surely I'll find lodging somewhere.

Just now, Joestradamus said:

Damn.... So once that freeze is over I'm going to Texas for a month to get my vaccine shot. Surely I'll find lodging somewhere.

We have a guest room :) 

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Pentagon officials say that about one-third of the U.S. military are declining to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, despite significant coronavirus infection levels in the forces.

How would they have a choice in the matter?

Edit: Read the article. I'd imagine there is some kind of emergency military readiness protocols they can use to get around any legality issues.

28 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Pentagon officials say that about one-third of the U.S. military are declining to receive the COVID-19 vaccine, despite significant coronavirus infection levels in the forces.

I doubt you’ll find a larger concentration of anti-science folks than in the military, so I’d say this bodes well for us getting 80+ percent of adults vaccinated without much pressure.

53 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

I'd be really curious to see that broken out by enlisted vs officers, and by branch. 

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Doing better than Nursing Home Staff #AbolishNursingHomes: 

"Early reports suggest nursing home residents are getting vaccinated at a higher rate than workers. A CDC analysis of more than 11,000 long-term care facilities found that in the first month of vaccinations, about 78% of residents got at least one dose, but only 38% of staffers did."

stewart_vaccine_1.jpg?w=640
KHN.ORG

It’s becoming increasingly clear that decision-making about the covid vaccine is complicated and multifaceted, which means persuading people to say yes will be, too.

• Shocked 1

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

6 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

This site proved very helpful when scheduling for Rite Aid:

Thanks guys, I'll be trying this both ways!

Stayed up until 2am booking an appointment for a friend of mine because there was a fairly huge drop at the Meadowlands Megasite and then the website crashed. It was basically just a ton of people sitting by their computers refreshing and waiting for the site to get fixed because we knew there was a big number of outstanding appointments.

Anyway, he tells me that he can’t make it because he’s going on vacation to Florida that day. This is someone I had misgivings about helping in the first place because I had a feeling he wasn’t taking the pandemic seriously. Fate, y’all.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

Some more context to this (the context doesn't make him look good, fyi):

I happen to know one of those areas, Lakewood Ranch. It's a beautiful area, and indeed, it's affluent. While I think there are lovely places and plenty of good people there, there are also many snooty rich people who don't like to go to the adjacent city, Bradenton, for anything. They consider those people the riffraff.

So now they don't have to go there for vaccines, which makes this look even worse to me.

12 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
image.jpg
WWW.CTVNEWS.CA

Guess we know at least 1/3 of the military are Trump fans. 

3 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Some more context to this (the context doesn't make him look good, fyi):

I happen to know one of those areas, Lakewood Ranch. It's a beautiful area, and indeed, it's affluent. While I think there are lovely places and plenty of good people there, there are also many snooty rich people who don't like to go to the adjacent city, Bradenton, for anything. They consider those people the riffraff.

So now they don't have to go there for vaccines, which makes this look even worse to me.

Bradenton is where one of my projector suppliers lives. Flown into Tampa several times to go pick up projectors and drive them back. Small world.

Just now, Keyser_Soze said:

After @mclumber1's peanut butter story I don't blame them for turning down another shot.

There were other shots that weren't fun.  On the ship, we had to get the smallpox vaccine, which creates a nice blister, eventually scabbing over, and then leaves a scar on your arm to remind you of your sacrifice.