Jump to content

~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~


Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

You did not read the article before you commented 😂 

yes I did. I didn't feel the need to post specifics because of who posted the article. Someone had a deadline and slapped together a superfluous piece that provides zero new information. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Iculus said:

yes I did. I didn't feel the need to post specifics because of who posted the article. Someone had a deadline and slapped together a superfluous piece that provides zero new information. 


The new information is reporting what the Biden administration said literally this weekend 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sblfilms said:


The new information is reporting what the Biden administration said literally this weekend 

And what they said has literally been the consensus in the scientific community for months. China is never going to provide raw data. The WHO needs to be held to the highest possible standards. This isn't news.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Iculus said:

And what they said has literally been the consensus in the scientific community for months. China is never going to provide raw data. The WHO needs to be held to the highest possible standards. This isn't news.


What the administration *just said this weekend* is absolutely news. Maybe you forgot what normal news coverage of normal administrations is like, but quoting statements made by the administration and then giving context to those statements is really basic journalism.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sblfilms said:


What the administration *just said this weekend* is absolutely news. Maybe you forgot what normal news coverage of normal administrations is like, but quoting statements made by the administration and then giving context to those statements is really basic journalism.

It isn't. Until something changes on the ground it's just people saying things. Report the change. This isn't it. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Iculus said:

It isn't. Until something changes on the ground it's just people saying things. Report the change. This isn't it. 


It’s not like it was you or I that was going around “saying things”, it was the executive office of the most powerful nation in the world releasing a statement to the press on the issue. 
 

wh_social-share.png
WWW.WHITEHOUSE.GOV

The mission of the World Health Organization (WHO) has never been more important, and we have deep respect for its experts and the work they are doing every day to fight the COVID-19...

 

like, it’s one of the most recent things on the main page of Whitehouse.gov 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Because of fucking course this was going to happen, meeting I got dragged into the windowless room for turned out to be purely information that should have just been relayed on a phone call! :SARS-CoV-2:

 

Technically part of this meeting DID require being in the office, but they decided that they're just going to tell me the part of the meeting that could have been a phone call and then have me leave before they got into the stuff that had to be in the office. Could have just called me and then hung up the phone for the remainder. :facepalm:

  • Guillotine 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Well the first shot is down.  No real side effects, just sort of a minor BUY THE SURFACE PRO SEVEN ON SALE NOW AT ALL FINE RETAILERS headache but that’s probably just caffeine.  

 

I think if you do get side effects it's generally several hours later/the next day.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The worst shot I ever got was the "peanut butter shot" in boot camp.  It felt like they literally injected thick peanut butter into your asscheek.  Hurt for days.  

 

pbshot1000.jpg
WWW.MILITARY.COM

The "peanut butter" shot, in the military, is a slang term for the famous bicillin vaccination every recruit receives unless they have an allergy.

 

  • Shocked 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Joe said:

 

I'm very tempted to buy a few extra shares tomorrow.

I had the same thought. I was going to buy PC parts today, but it turns out that's a really shitty idea right now, so I might as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

I'm actually planning to use the stimulus check to upgrade my PC lol.

 

Mine isn't exactly a spring chicken.

I felt the same way. I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 years or so.

 

GPUs are insanely expensive right now. The new line of GPUs (RTX 30-series and whatever the Radeon equivalent is) are facing massive supply shortages, driving the price up like crazy. Somehow, this has resulted in even older hardware also seeing a massive spike in price. GTX 1080s, which came out 5 years ago, are selling for the price of a PS5. Not to mention, as @Mr.Vic20 pointed out to me, you probably want to get a motherboard with 2 PCIe 4.0 slots (one for your GPU, one for a SSD) if you want something that's going to last you another 5 years. Those are going for like $250 or so right now, which is kind of crazy for a motherboard.

 

I'm planning on waiting for the market to check its damn self before I drop a bunch of money on a rebuild.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I felt the same way. I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 years or so.

 

GPUs are insanely expensive right now. The new line of GPUs (RTX 30-series and whatever the Radeon equivalent is) are facing massive supply shortages, driving the price up like crazy. Somehow, this has resulted in even older hardware also seeing a massive spike in price. GTX 1080s, which came out 5 years ago, are selling for the price of a PS5. Not to mention, as @Mr.Vic20 pointed out to me, you probably want to get a motherboard with 2 PCIe 4.0 slots (one for your GPU, one for a SSD) if you want something that's going to last you another 5 years. Those are going for like $250 or so right now, which is kind of crazy for a motherboard.

 

I'm planning on waiting for the market to check its damn self before I drop a bunch of money on a rebuild.

 

I bought a 3080 off of a reseller site in early January for about $1050. Same card, same website now is going for about $1800. At the time I wasn't even going to bother selling my old 1080 because I wasn't sure it'd be worth the effort.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The worst shot I ever got was the "peanut butter shot" in boot camp.  It felt like they literally injected thick peanut butter into your asscheek.  Hurt for days.  

 

pbshot1000.jpg
WWW.MILITARY.COM

The "peanut butter" shot, in the military, is a slang term for the famous bicillin vaccination every recruit receives unless they have an allergy.

 

 

 

:lol:

 

When I started reading your description I was like, "oh, that kind of sounds like the shot I used to get...."

 

Then I kept reading and saw bicillion, and yup, that was it.

 

Because of my heart condition I got a bicillion shot every month for about 15 years.

 

Sometimes would wind up with a golf ball sized swelling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

 

 

:lol:

 

When I started reading your description I was like, "oh, that kind of sounds like the shot I used to get...."

 

Then I kept reading and saw bicillion, and yup, that was it.

 

Because of my heart condition I got a bicillion shot every month for about 15 years.

 

Sometimes would wind up with a golf ball sized swelling. 


MONTHLY 😬
 

Though I suppose my twice daily insulin injections for the last twenty years is kind of a lot too. Glad I don’t have to do them anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I felt the same way. I haven't upgraded my PC in 5 years or so.

 

GPUs are insanely expensive right now. The new line of GPUs (RTX 30-series and whatever the Radeon equivalent is) are facing massive supply shortages, driving the price up like crazy. Somehow, this has resulted in even older hardware also seeing a massive spike in price. GTX 1080s, which came out 5 years ago, are selling for the price of a PS5. Not to mention, as @Mr.Vic20 pointed out to me, you probably want to get a motherboard with 2 PCIe 4.0 slots (one for your GPU, one for a SSD) if you want something that's going to last you another 5 years. Those are going for like $250 or so right now, which is kind of crazy for a motherboard.

 

I'm planning on waiting for the market to check its damn self before I drop a bunch of money on a rebuild.

 

Eh, I usually don't go for any of the high-end parts.  I usually settle for a mid-range build...which is still able to outperform current gen consoles lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

 

Eh, I usually don't go for any of the high-end parts.  I usually settle for a mid-range build...which is still able to outperform current gen consoles lol

 

Isn't EVERYTHING being scalped to shit right now? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I volunteered for my second consecutive day today and was able to get my first shot. No side effects as far as I can tell, but maybe they will develop over the next day or two? 

 

Interestingly, the site I am volunteering at was very slow today. They have the capacity to do about 2,500 doses per day but they estimate they only did 700 today. They think this was due to the fact that they didn't know how much vaccine they were going to have today so they couldn't offer any appointments until late last night. I'm back again tomorrow and hopefully it will be packed like it was on the first day. 

  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

My parents in their late 70s still have no idea when they will get their shot probably because.

Canadians seem to be very willing to get vaccinated, but we don't have them available...

 

 

 

 

 

We've been in lockdown now for 3 months -- although schools reopened today.  However, all stores (other than essential ones) have been closed since November 23rd.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...