~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Just now, sblfilms said:

You will eventually, but right now it’s a distribution logistics issue of getting the vaccine to a bunch of different locations. If we had good public transportation, we would actually be best served with only massive walk-thru/drive-thru setups. But we don’t, so we need this sort of middle-space. Another big positive of the increasing doses is that we will fairly quickly get to the point of regular doctor’s offices having these. Especially the J&J shot.

If only we had a service in the US that could send packages to places in a timely manner that was part of the US Government, one that was efficient and properly funded, one that wasn't constantly under attack by 1/2 of the major US political parties. *sigh* One can dream. :( 

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Legit: why can't someone just go to their primary doctor for the vaccine? If your doctor is equipped for vaccinations (ie: flu), why can't people just book with them? 

That is how it is working here. The catch is that they will only do it in groups of 10 (number of doses in a vial). So the procedure as I understand it is. The outpatient clinic gets calls of interest. After 10 people have shown interest they put a order into our local health district (in this case we belong to the Northern Nevada Health District) for an order of our counties supply of vaccine (this is due to not having proper storage in our county for the vaccine). In the dead of night whatever is requested is brought in via helicopter. It is a mess of a system since we don't have the storage means needed, but it works. But outside of the drive thru that the state sets up with the counties it is done direct with our doctors here. 

29 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Legit: why can't someone just go to their primary doctor for the vaccine? If your doctor is equipped for vaccinations (ie: flu), why can't people just book with them? 

These shots have to be thawed out to use and then they can't be re-frozen and have to be used within a hours. A regular doctor's office does not have the throughput to be able to thaw a vial without there being risk of some going to waste, especially with all of the convoluted rules about who's eligible. It might be more feasible if it was purely first-come first-served. But right now they need to be at big hospitals, megacenters, and I guess now big pharmacies to make sure that there's enough people coming through.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

These shots have to be thawed out to use and then they can't be re-frozen and have to be used within a hours. A regular doctor's office does not have the throughput to be able to thaw a vial without there being risk of some going to waste, especially with all of the convoluted rules about who's eligible. It might be more feasible if it was purely first-come first-served. But right now they need to be at big hospitals, megacenters, and I guess now big pharmacies to make sure that there's enough people coming through.

Yup, the logistics around distribution due to the temperature issues makes it difficult. Some of the next vaccines have much more reasonable temp needs and will be well suited for PCP administration.

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

A regular doctor's office does not have the throughput to be able to thaw a vial without there being risk of some going to waste,

Which is why it would/should be by scheduled appointment with their patients, vials ordered based on appointments schedule, and thawed based on patients being in office. 🤷‍♂️

Also, that’s only for the Pfizer vaccine.

4 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Which is why it would/should be by scheduled appointment with their patients, vials ordered based on appointments schedule, and thawed based on patients being in office. 🤷‍♂️

Also, that’s only for the Pfizer vaccine.

This is super inefficient in a world where vaccines are scarce and our issue isn’t labor to get injections, it’s still supply being short of demand. These things change very rapidly in a world where we have the dosage capacity for 3-4 million shots per day and vaccines with effectively no temperature restrictions.

Right now it does make the most sense to focus on mass vaccination sites, and targeted community center sites.

40 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

This is super inefficient in a world where vaccines are scarce and our issue isn’t labor to get injections, it’s still supply being short of demand. These things change very rapidly in a world where we have the dosage capacity for 3-4 million shots per day and vaccines with effectively no temperature restrictions.

Right now it does make the most sense to focus on mass vaccination sites, and targeted community center sites.

I’m not arguing against mass vaccination sites, but they have been wildly inefficient, at best, given the wait times people are experiencing. My main point is in regards to CVS/Rite-Aid vs doctors offices.

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m not arguing against mass vaccination sites, but they have been wildly inefficient, at best, given the wait times people are experiencing. My main point is in regards to CVS/Rite-Aid vs doctors offices.

What wait times are you referring to?

The mass vaccination site my wife used, richmond international raceway, had people line up to go inside, took your info, gave you the shot then sent you to your car (if you drove there) where you wait 15 mins then you can leave. If you feel funny or anything like that you honk.

Seems to be working well for virginia, and we're probably one of the best overall state for vaccinations. Of the states with over a million doses administered, we've got nearly the highest % of population with at least one shot, and one of the highest % of supply used.

13 minutes ago, Jason said:

I know it was taking people hours to get through Dodger Stadium initially. I think that's under control now but that 1-2 hours still isn't impossible.

Hmmm, the ones here have been more like what @b_m_b_m_b_mjust described. Guess it may be regional issues for long wait times?

9 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What wait times are you referring to?

I’m referencing early on when, for instance, some sites were telling people to bring lawn chairs and snacks. It’s smoothed out dramatically in the past 6-weeks or so, minus it still being incredibly difficult to find an appointment pending where you live. I should’ve been more specific as to when I was referencing in regards to mass vaccination sites.

11 hours ago, Joe said:

I was surprised to learn the other day that the Moderna vaccine is good for 30 days at normal refrigeration temperature once it's been thawed. 

I believe that is only for unopened vials. After breaking the seal you have up to 12 hours I think, but they would rather it be administered within 6 hours. 

11 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

The mass vaccination site my wife used, richmond international raceway, had people line up to go inside, took your info, gave you the shot then sent you to your car (if you drove there) where you wait 15 mins then you can leave. If you feel funny or anything like that you honk.

Seems to be working well for virginia, and we're probably one of the best overall state for vaccinations. Of the states with over a million doses administered, we've got nearly the highest % of population with at least one shot, and one of the highest % of supply used.

The mega site in the Meadowlands has also been crazy efficient. In and out in under 50 minutes from multiple people that have gone.

So my wife texted my father in law a photo of our youngest and said he misses seeing him and here is his reply..... 

Good for you Max!!!  Good that you're not wearing a mask in the house!!!  Hope you and your sisters stop wearing any masks period inside or outside as you really don't need to!!!!  In fact, masks could damage your mental and physical health without a doubt according to the REAL SCIENCE!!!  I know Mom and Dad are probably right up to date on this, but don't be afraid to ask them!!!  💘 UALL!!!

He doesn't even realize that we don't want him around because he won't wear a mask and wants to talk Trump all the time. FFS I can't even. 

• Like 1
  • Guillotine 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Ominous said:

So my wife texted my father in law a photo of our youngest and said he misses seeing him and here is his reply..... 

Good for you Max!!!  Good that you're not wearing a mask in the house!!!  Hope you and your sisters stop wearing any masks period inside or outside as you really don't need to!!!!  In fact, masks could damage your mental and physical health without a doubt according to the REAL SCIENCE!!!  I know Mom and Dad are probably right up to date on this, but don't be afraid to ask them!!!  💘 UALL!!!

He doesn't even realize that we don't want him around because he won't wear a mask and wants to talk Trump all the time. FFS I can't even. 

Why... why would anyone wear a mask in their own home unless you had someone who didn’t live there inside of it?

I've already told some of the chuds in the family that if they're not vaccinated when our next kid comes (due August so not anytime soon) they will not see the baby unless they're vaccinated. just like the last time we had a kid with the tdap vaccine.

didn't go as well as I expected but thems the rules.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

I've already told some of the chuds in the family that if they're not vaccinated when our next kid comes (due August so not anytime soon) they will not see the baby unless they're vaccinated. just like the last time we had a kid with the tdap vaccine.

didn't go as well as I expected but thems the rules.

Yup. Fuck 'em. You want your kid around longer than them. 

• Like 2

My grandparents, who raised me, have been staying with us since early summer. My aunt tried to come over to visit, refusing to wear a mask. 

She called the cops, told them we were holding them against their will and wouldn't let them leave or see their family.

Luckily this is a very small place, and we know most of the police, so the cop knew it was a load of crap. They know my aunt is an addict and crazy person, but still had to do their due diligence. They stopped by, I let him in, the cops told him about the call.

My grandfather, who is very, very blunt, and also still very sharp, looked at the cop and said, "I'm really starting to think I should have beaten them growing up."

Does anybody know what the current guidance is on when you should get vaccinated after a Covid infection? My mother said she was told 90 days, but I’m only seeing that if you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma.

Surprisingly my folks aren’t resisting getting their first dose next week, but mother did bring up that question and I wanted to have accurate info to give.

1 hour ago, Littleronin said:

We know a person that was asymptomatic that was told 90 days. So that might just be the overall guidance. 

I can’t find ANYTHING about the 90 days that doesn’t explicitly mention the two types of treatments I previously noted. Most articles you come across are just trying to convince people who have had it that they need to get the vaccine anyway, not even getting into the logistics of it.

6 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Does anybody know what the current guidance is on when you should get vaccinated after a Covid infection? My mother said she was told 90 days, but I’m only seeing that if you were treated with monoclonal antibodies or convalescent plasma.

Surprisingly my folks aren’t resisting getting their first dose next week, but mother did bring up that question and I wanted to have accurate info to give.

I'm actually wondering this too since I had it back in November.

2 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm actually wondering this too since I had it back in November.

I actually just found this link

WWW.CDC.GOV

Find interim clinical considerations for the use of mRNA COVID-19 Vaccines.

Apparently on the 10th they modified guidance which just said you can delay vaccination if you have a recent acute Covid infection due to limited supply and the likely at least short term immunity from infection. I would think either way you are well into the period where you should get the shot if available to you.

It just wasn't the first time I heard the 90 day thing. Hell, when I went to schedule my appointment that was one of the questions. It wasn't "Have you tested positive?" It was "Have you tested positive in the last 3 months?" Might be somebody seen something higher up and that just became overarching policy in certain areas. 

18 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

It just wasn't the first time I heard the 90 day thing. Hell, when I went to schedule my appointment that was one of the questions. It wasn't "Have you tested positive?" It was "Have you tested positive in the last 3 months?" Might be somebody seen something higher up and that just became overarching policy in certain areas. 

The guidance was changed on the 10th, previous to that the CDC did recommend 90 days for an previous acute Covid infection to not “waste” doses on people with infection caused immunity. One article I came across on Twitter said the change is due to some of these new variants and concerns that people could get reinfected at higher ages with only infection caused immunity compared to vaccine caused immunity. That makes sense.

10 hours ago, sblfilms said:

My ex was inititally told 90 days, but then was told she could get it after 10 days without symptoms. She got her first dose last week.