~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:
1613046754514_tdy_news_7a_dr_fauci_vacci
WWW.TODAY.COM

Dr. Anthony Fauci tells TODAY that the pace of coronavirus vaccinations will pick up “as we get into March and April” and that by April, it will be “open season” for all groups to...

:pray:

This is what I have expected for awhile.

6 minutes ago, Brick said:

The amount of people who don't understand how vaccines work, and think they should just build up their immunity naturally by getting the virus and having their body fight it off, is deeply concerning. 

I had a conversation with a genuinely not stupid person that didn’t understand what vaccines actually do and it made me realize how bad we are at educating people about these sorts of things. And thinking back, I don’t think I’ve heard anything during the vaccine rollout where our leaders in America have bothered to explain the basics of what a vaccine is and isn’t.

There is a reason the anti-vax people have gotten a foothold the last decade and a lot of it comes down to the pro-vax side being reactionary instead of telling the very compelling case for vaccines, including how vaccines work with your body to fight to disease.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Absurd, no they won't

I also think there are a lot of people right now saying they won’t get the shot that ultimately will. This would especially be the case if the Biden administration puts on their big kid pants and require vaccination for air travel and any border crossing in 2022. I also suspect you may seen vaccination requirements by employers in states that don’t have liability protections for businesses. The number will shrink over time.

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think the current number saying they don't want a vaccine in response to polling is 30%, which works out to about 100 million. 

That’s adult population in polling, so lower than 100m. Covid vaccines, once approved for kids, will very likely be required for school attendance like others that already are on the list.

Just now, sblfilms said:

I also think there are a lot of people right now saying they won’t get the shot that ultimately will. This would especially be the case if the Biden administration puts on their big kid pants and require vaccination for air travel and any border crossing in 2022. I also suspect you may seen vaccination requirements by employers in states that don’t have liability protections for businesses. The number will shrink over time.

That’s adult population in polling, so lower than 100m. Covid vaccines, once approved for kids, will very likely be required for school attendance like others that already are on the list.

Fair point about there being things that may force or cajole people into getting vaccinated, but if an adult is saying no for themselves then they'd presumably also say no for their kids. So I don't see a huge problem with extrapolating that 30% to the entire population. 

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Just in my family, I have three different family members that as of two weeks ago were refusing to get vaccinated that now will be. Can you imagine being related to my pain in the ass? I wore these fuckers down.

• Haha 1

I also have a suspicion that a decent chunk of the 30% are people who have had it and think that means they don’t need the vaccine. Another area where education will improve the numbers. I guarantee my parents fall into that category even though I haven’t asked them.

We're at 71% now, compared to 50% a couple of months ago. The number keeps going up as it is proven to be safe

And as right wing/antivax propaganda shit gets pulled from the internet, I'm sure the number will jump again because the biggest group that isn't on board is the roughly half of Republicans who said they don't plan on getting vaccinated. Combine this with effective provaccination messaging from non polarizing public health officials and I think we will get there.

43 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I also have a suspicion that a decent chunk of the 30% are people who have had it and think that means they don’t need the vaccine. Another area where education will improve the numbers. I guarantee my parents fall into that category even though I haven’t asked them.

There was a tweet from one of my favourite Canadian pollsters last week that went something like:

I am always perplexed by the people taking our polls that:

1) Tell us they already voted

2) Tell us how they've voted

3) And then say they are still undecided

It's always around 7-10% of respondents

There are just a large number of people that are too dumb to get polling data from because they are either too stupid to understand questions, or they are too stupid to take it seriously. Many of the people saying they won't get a vaccine fall into this category, and will, in the end, get one.

To me, all Covid has proven is that most people are even dumber than I thought, and my bar was already quite low before Covid, hell, it was low before Trump. Hell, it was low before Bush. It's been a hard 22 years . . .  The fact that it takes this much work to get people to understand basic things like: "vaccines = good; getting disease itself on its own = bad" is not a good look for the human race.

38 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

There was a tweet from one of my favourite Canadian pollsters last week that went something like:

I am always perplexed by the people taking our polls that:

1) Tell us they already voted

2) Tell us how they've voted

3) And then say they are still undecided

It's always around 7-10% of respondents

There are just a large number of people that are too dumb to get polling data from because they are either too stupid to understand questions, or they are too stupid to take it seriously. Many of the people saying they won't get a vaccine fall into this category, and will, in the end, get one.

The major problem with polling is that the only people who answer them are people on the extremes of both sides. 

Most normal people wouldn't waste their time. 

30 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

The major problem with polling is that the only people who answer them are people on the extremes of both sides. 

Most normal people wouldn't waste their time. 

This is stunningly false :p 

5 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Its not, and pollsters have talked about it quite a bit after this election.

This is just the excuse bad pollsters give for their poor performance.

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

This is just the excuse bad pollsters give for their poor performance.

Poor poll response has indeed been posited as a possible reason why polls were kind of wonky in 2016 and in 2020, but I have read absolutely nothing that suggests that only conservatives and liberals respond to polls. He just made that part right up.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Poor poll response has indeed been posited as a possible reason why polls were kind of wonky in 2016 and in 2020, but I have read absolutely nothing that suggests that only conservatives and liberals respond to polls. He just made that part right up.

Certainly, primarily because changes in how pollsters have to reach people have been tricky in the last decade, not because of some notion that only the crazies at the edges of the spectrum actually respond.

There are certain parts of the population that respond less to polls per capita, but most good pollsters know that, and simple weight for it. Overall, even accounting for Trump's win in 2016, the polls have been quite good in the last 10 years. Really, the only two times they've been off by any large margin is when Trump was on the ballot. When Trump was off the ballot (mid-terms as well as GA senate runoffs) they are quite good.

4 hours ago, sblfilms said:

I had a conversation with a genuinely not stupid person that didn’t understand what vaccines actually do and it made me realize how bad we are at educating people about these sorts of things. And thinking back, I don’t think I’ve heard anything during the vaccine rollout where our leaders in America have bothered to explain the basics of what a vaccine is and isn’t.

There is a reason the anti-vax people have gotten a foothold the last decade and a lot of it comes down to the pro-vax side being reactionary instead of telling the very compelling case for vaccines, including how vaccines work with your body to fight to disease.

I have had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of conversations online with anti-vax people I know from high school or whatever and the majority of them are better at resisting education than Neo is at dodging bullets.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I have had a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT of conversations online with anti-vax people I know from high school or whatever and the majority of them are better at resisting education than Neo is at dodging bullets.

I think it's a spiral that starts well before you go full anti-vax. Public understanding of health issues is obviously lacking in nearly all facets.

Based Nate. That's what I was trying to say before. There's a huge difference between an anti vaxxer and someone that wants to make sure there aren't mass deaths first before they get it. The second is still derpy of course, but we can at least work with those people.