~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

42 minutes ago, Joe said:

No second doses, damn it!

While priority should be given to ramping up first dose administration, I don’t think there is reason to avoid/delay second doses, especially for those in the highest risk pools as the efficacy on that second dose is rather impressive.

But I feel like most of this becomes moot in 6-8 weeks or so when we should get close to the point of actually needing to convince people to hurry up and get it as opposed to turning away folks who want it now.

4 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

While priority should be given to ramping up first dose administration, I don’t think there is reason to avoid/delay second doses, especially for those in the highest risk pools as the efficacy on that second dose is rather impressive.

But I feel like most of this becomes moot in 6-8 weeks or so when we should get close to the point of actually needing to convince people to hurry up and get it as opposed to turning away folks who want it now.

I'd rather we be giving more people overall some immunity than give a smaller number nearly perfect immunity. But obviously that's not happening, so might as well hope it ramps up to the point where it doesn't really matter anymore.

On 1/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, sblfilms said:

The article gives no data about the supposed reduced efficacy.

F201122YS17-1024x640.jpg
WWW.TIMESOFISRAEL.COM

Nachman Ash reportedly says it's not certain vaccines can protect against mutated coronavirus strains; 12,400 Israelis were infected with virus after receiving 1st shot

This article shows different firms claiming as low as 33% and as high as 60% reduction in chance of infection 14 days after the first shot.

But Israel isn’t doing single shots, they are giving out both doses, so I’m not sure what they should be waiting on data for?

Sorry I was being too lazy to reply yesterday.

Far as I know Israel is doing two doses but they are also sending back tons of data to Pfizer on the data they are getting. The reason for the oh no in my original post is I take issue with people who have been throwing around efficacy of 80% after first dose and proof that we should only give everybody a single dose when there was no trial or real data to back that up other then projections from the original 2 dose trial. What we are getting from the Israel data is that the protection % might be lower than originally projected.  There are some countries and governments that are pushing to only give out a single dose or are postponing the second dose for much further out than recommended by Pfizer. Besides the UK, Quebec was trying to push out the 2nd dose to as much as 90 days. They're now possibly going to walk that back because of the new data. 

image.jpg
MONTREAL.CTVNEWS.CA

Quebec could change its vaccine strategy based on discouraging new data out of Israel about the efficacy of the first dose, on its own, of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine, says a top adviser in the province.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:09 PM, Keyser_Soze said:

I never wanted a test in the first place. I wanted to figure out why I suddenly couldn't breathe. I still have no other covid symptoms but it still feels like shit when I inhale. And she says wait 10 days for it to go away.

FYI. my ex's family all tested positive last week but she didn't. She got a second test a couple of days later and WAS in fact positive... she's experiencing symptoms now but she's ok. Her mom is in the hospital though. You should get another test and get your oxygen levels tested... you don't want to mess around with that and difficulty breathing is one of the more concerning symptoms of the disease.

10 minutes ago, Brick said:

Why aren't the borders closed? No one should be flying between countries unless its essential work related, and yet we have people flying down to Mexico for vacation and shit. 

I know several people personally who have flown to Mexico including one dude who flew down there for a Frat bro reunion :| They're posting pics all over Facebook.

32 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

...how was that not a requirement already?!

I think the indvidual airlines, and bus companies may have had those requirements, but now it's a FEDERAL mandate. No longer up to indvidual stakeholders.

3 hours ago, Jason said:
210118064236-01-joe-biden-0115-super-tea
WWW.CNN.COM

Newly sworn in President Joe Biden and his advisers are inheriting no coronavirus vaccine distribution plan to speak of from the Trump administration, sources tell CNN, posing a significant...

Dr Anthony Fauci pushed back against the characterization from some Biden officials that the new administration has to start “from scratch” on coronavirus vaccine distribution.

“We certainly are not starting from scratch,” the infectious disease expert said. “We’re coming in with fresh ideas but also some ideas that were not bad ideas from the previous administration.”

5 hours ago, Jason said:
GettyImages-1208184672-804x536.jpg
TALKINGPOINTSMEMO.COM

Long Time No See: Fauci To Return To WH Press Briefing On Thursday

I recently finished the whole thing. Great info.

2 hours ago, 69los said:

It boggles my mind that she’sa personal friend of mine with whom I went to college and with whom I took classes. I see her here or I see Dave Bautista retweeting her and I’m like “Fo reals?”

Fun fact about her: she’s always been cool, but she used to be a born again Christian in the early 2010s. However, she went full on progressive over time and voted Hillary in 2016. Worth a follow.

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Works for me, should hopefully mean I get to wfh longer, because it looks like as of right now they want to start getting us back in the office in July, which just doesn't sound like it will be feasible.

I also just found out my friends wife passed away last night from her Covid complications. 

• Sad 3

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I mean, not to be a downer, but there have been many dips followed by bigger rises. I certainly hope it keeps going down, but it could still go up again.

Absolutely.

I'm by no means an epidemiologist, but the correlation between major holidays and subsequent spikes seems pretty apparent, and thankfully there aren't any major holidays in the next 5 months aside from Memorial Day (maybe Valentine's Day).

2 hours ago, marioandsonic said:

It would be nice if Biden could pull off the "100 million vaccinated within 100 days" promise.

I saw a few tweets today that suggested the US has been at about 1 million vaccinations for the past few weeks. 100 in 100 days sounds great, but it's really just a continuation, rather than bold action.

2 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I saw a few tweets today that suggested the US has been at about 1 million vaccinations for the past few weeks. 100 in 100 days sounds great, but it's really just a continuation, rather than bold action.

:tired: 

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-01-14/us-covid-vaccine-rollout-nears-1-million-doses-per-day

Close to a million doses -- over 951,000, to be more exact -- made their way into the arms of Americans in the past 24 hours, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Wednesday. That's the largest number of shots given in one day since the rollout began and a big jump from the previous day, when just under 340,000 doses were given, CBS News reported.

That number is likely to jump quickly after the federal government on Tuesday gave states the OK to vaccinate anyone over 65 and said it would release all the doses of vaccine it has available for distribution. Meanwhile, a number of states have now opened mass vaccination sites in an effort to get larger numbers of people inoculated, CBS News reported.

But even with the recent pickup in vaccinations, more than two-thirds of the doses sent to states have yet to be administered. As of Wednesday, nearly 29.4 million doses had been shipped to all 50 states and all U.S. territories. Of those, just 10.3 million — about 30% — had actually been used, CDC data shows.