~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

8 minutes ago, SimpleG said:

South Korea combination of high suicide and terrible state of mental health makes them easy targets. These groups are also absolutely fanatical when it comes to getting new members. They make the JW's and Mormons look weak in comparison , these groups will often move in to smaller churches and congregations to convert and take over . 

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/society/article/3010763/whats-behind-south-koreas-attraction-fringe-churches

And because of all the bleakness of South Korean society, it's basically a search for meaning among community, right? Because I can see how that breeds the desire to join some religious group, and that in turn allows scammers to start cults to exploit those people. 

Just now, CayceG said:

And because of all the bleakness of South Korean society, it's basically a search for meaning among community, right? Because I can see how that breeds the desire to join some religious group, and that in turn allows scammers to start cults to exploit those people. 

Absolutely

Reading the coverage, it feels like there's definitely an uptick in concern now amongst experts with the extent of the outbreaks in South Korea, Italy, and Iran now, after the general tenor of the coverage to this point was mostly, "Wuhan is taking one for the team and containment seems to be working"

50 minutes ago, Ricofoley said:

Reading the coverage, it feels like there's definitely an uptick in concern now amongst experts with the extent of the outbreaks in South Korea, Italy, and Iran now, after the general tenor of the coverage to this point was mostly, "Wuhan is taking one for the team and containment seems to be working"

It is concerning.  How closely were US officials looking at travel between South Korea (and other nations that have had outbreaks) and the US?  I think it's a forgone conclusion that we'll start seeing outbreaks here in the US as well.  The question is, how well can it be contained?

1 hour ago, mclumber1 said:

It is concerning.  How closely were US officials looking at travel between South Korea (and other nations that have had outbreaks) and the US?  I think it's a forgone conclusion that we'll start seeing outbreaks here in the US as well.  The question is, how well can it be contained?

Haha in the US? Where there is no guaranteed sick leave and people can't afford to go to the doctor? 

It's going to go poorly.

• Sad 1

Japan gonna fuck this up for the rest of us.

Also, my mom and her boyfriend were going to go on a month-long river trip in central Europe this summer, but have put it on hold over fears of COVID-19. They are in their mid-to-late sixties so are concerned about catching it. It's definitely changing people's travel behaviour.

A co-worker of mine used to travel to Thailand once a year and other parts of SE Asia and would frequently keep an eye out for any sort of political upheaval or State Department travel warnings because the cost of airfare would usually plummet. I've been traveling to Japan once a year and always have alerts for cheap flights, but so far I have not seen any discounts. Airfare seems to be holding steady at the moment.

6 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Because of the frequency of tourism from people in currently-affected countries, not because of the Chinese-Canadian population!

I'm Chinese and I'm avoiding clusters of Chinese people, so Costco, Ranch 99, dim sum restaurants, etc.  Just playing percentages here.

• Haha 1

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

I was more referring to the fact that the acting Deputy Secretary of DHS is using a private source for data, implying the government doesn't have their own (or the Trump appointees don't know about it, or trust it).

Where have you been the last 4 years?

39 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I was more referring to the fact that the acting Deputy Secretary of DHS is using a private source for data, implying the government doesn't have their own (or the Trump appointees don't know about it, or trust it).

His reasoning is he likes a lot of different sources of data, which would be a fine answer if he was not a fucking hack

9 hours ago, Jason said:

8 hours ago, Ricofoley said:

Right wing media's not on the same page on this one, because Tucker Carlson is tying coronavirus into his usual white nationalism shit

They’re deathly afraid that the outbreak spooks the economy into recession and Trump loses his biggest advantage in the election.  Gotta start blaming teh liberalz and the media now—just in case.

If it does happen, watching the entire political class contradict everything they’ve been saying about the economy for the last 3.5 years (at least in regards as to how much credit the president should receive for its state) will be quite amusing.

27 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

If it does happen, watching the entire political class contradict everything they’ve been saying about the economy for the last 3.5 years (at least in regards as to how much credit the president should receive for its state) will be quite amusing.

Will it though?

Saw some infections disease expert (can't find link I had) estimate that between 40-70% of the world's population will likely contract COVID-19 over the next year. Most will only suffer a manageable flu-like period, some will likely have no symptoms (around 17% of people with the common flu never experience symptoms, as a comparison), but it will hit the young and elderly the hardest, or those with compromise immune systems.

5 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Saw some infections disease expert (can't find link I had) estimate that between 40-70% of the world's population will likely contract COVID-19 over the next year. Most will only suffer a manageable flu-like period, some will likely have no symptoms (around 17% of people with the common flu never experience symptoms, as a comparison), but it will hit the young and elderly the hardest, or those with compromise immune systems.

spacer.png

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I just got over flu like symptoms.  Feeling better, but it kept me out of work on Thursday and Friday.