~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

So the Albertson's vaccine site was just showing me an open appointment at a nearby Ralph's and thought I'd try my luck on an end of the day appointment. Walk in and they say they're out for the day, and that the website will let you make an appointment even if they're done vaccinating for the day. So, awesome, they're bringing people into the store for no reason right now, very cool and very responsible. 

I haven't been inside a grocery store in over a month, and it was pretty busy with dubious mask wearing adherence. I swear to god, if THIS is how I wind up catching COVID...

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Wait so the Albertson's website has info on sites nearby that have the vaccine? I wonder if there is something similar in NJ....

You have to click through the stores one by one until you find one with the covid vaccine, they won't just filter it to stores that have it. 

But apparently, don't bother if it's not an early appointment.

God am I fucking pissed they're driving unnecessary trips to their stores by opening up phantom appointments. 

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

You have to click through the stores one by one until you find one with the covid vaccine, they won't just filter it to stores that have it. 

But apparently, don't bother if it's not an early appointment.

God am I fucking pissed they're driving unnecessary trips to their stores by opening up phantom appointments. 

Couldn't you have called?

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Couldn't you have called?

Have you ever tried actually calling one of these corporate pharmacies? They're always understaffed. It was 6:50 and the appointment they were showing me was for 7:15. Putting pants on and heading directly out the door I got there at 7:20. I didn't want to dick around waiting on hold for 15 minutes with such a tight turnaround. 

I just went to pick some stuff up at the gas station. I went in and both of the dudes behind the counter had their masks on their chin. 2 people were ahead of me, one was wearing a mask while the other person was wearing one of those ski masks with a whole for your nose, so essentially wasn't wearing a mask.

I have to come into contact with people all the time as part of my job anyway, so I'm kind of fatalistic and don't give too much of a shit, but still.. fuck people.

My body possibly throwing it's hat in the ring for me to have COVID.

On Thursday suddenly it became very difficult for me to breathe. I could only breathe like halfway otherwise it would hurt to breathe and also it was hard to sit up or lean forward. Only lying on my side would feel ok. I let it roll for a day to see if conditions improved but I wound up asking a doctor about it and she said it could be a lot of things and also COVID, you don't need multiple symptoms to have it so she had me take a COVID test. I took the test on Monday (for some stupid reason they don't do any testing on Sunday). I was there at 7:30 am and there was already a line of cars, there were 3 lines and it took me 45 minutes to get tested.

I'm sure you've all seen the brain swab and gasped but I thought the throat swab was much more unpleasant. In any case I'll know in 3 - 4 days if I have it or if something else is killing me! :twothumbsup:

15 hours ago, Brick said:

Video from May but still relevant unfortunately. 

I only watched the first half of the video, but he makes several claims that don't have any scientific basis behind them.

1)  Cloth masks /bandanas are 60% effective

There is lots of circumstantial evidence that demonstrates that mask wearing slows the spread of the disease.  There is none that allows anyone to make a claim like that.  In fact, everything I have heard suggests they are significantly less effective than that.

2)  If everyone were to wear masks, we would drive rho below one and we wouldn't have a pandemic

That is bullshit.  Not a single infectious disease/respiratory virus expert has made that claim.

All of the health authorities, infectious diseases experts have said that physical distancing, and avoiding large groups of people (particularly indoors) are the key to reducing transmission of the disease.  Masks are an important secondary step, as is washing your hands, but there is no evidence that they are as effective as this video suggests, and lots of evidence to suggest they aren't as effective.

The danger that I have heard expressed from some experts (such as Mike Olsterholm) is that some people believe that masks provide much more protection than they actually do -- and will behave in a more risk way than they otherwise should.

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Everyone should just follow these rules:

1. Don't go out unless your life or livelihood depend on it
  2. If out, do not be around anyone for more than 15 minutes, especially indoors, unless forced to by your job
  3. Wear a mask, wash hands before touching your face

BUT MAH FREEDUMBS! 

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

Are you guys still going to the grocery store? I do, but I go at night and try to keep it quick.

The store a few blocks from me does delivery for $7, so we just do that every two weeks. They also occasionally have promotions where it is free. Great online shopping service and you can choose the 2-hour block you want it delivered. Plus their drivers are full-time employees of the chain (Save On Foods), not gig jobs, so they get decent pay and benefits.

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Are you guys still going to the grocery store? I do, but I go at night and try to keep it quick.

I feel like the unfortunate part of curfews and whatnot is forcing everyone to go to the grocery store early.  I used to go at like 1am on Saturdays, and now I have to go at like 10:00

My dad loves grocery shopping, and still spends hours doing it each week. He'll go to different stores depending on what's on sale, and what coupons he has. With all the gas he's using up, is he really saving that much if another store a little further away has something for 60¢ less? I doubt it. When the lockdowns first went into effect I told him I would do the shopping because him being in his late 60s it isn't safe, so just give me a list of what needs to be bought, but he brushed me off, and wouldn't be serious. Got to the point where I took his car keys, and hid them. Then he whined and bitched about how that isn't safe, and promised he wouldn't go out anymore unless he absolutely needed to. Finally I relented and returned the keys. He snuck out to go shopping. It's infuriating. "But I wear a mask", yeah that's not foolproof! Honestly he's an idiot, and I get so mad at him. 

6 minutes ago, Pikachu said:
?m=02&d=20210119&t=2&i=1548324499&r=LYNX
WWW.REUTERS.COM

German supermarket chain Aldi on Tuesday became the latest firm in the grocery sector to offer incentives for U.S. employees getting a COVID-19 vaccine, saying it would give up to four hours of pay to those who choose to receive inoculations.

Wow a whole $40.

I found out that I'm now eligible to get the vaccine since they expanded the group 1A list in PA.  However, the only place near me that had the vaccine and that I could get a hold of told me to send an email to be put on their waiting list.

So I'm not expecting to hear back from them for months.  Bleh.