~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Meanwhile, apparently the website to register for vaccine appointments is basically just broken.

210112024554-01-los-angeles-hospital-010
WWW.CNN.COM

Things are so bad in Los Angeles County that health officials are now advising all essential workers to wear masks inside their own home to prevent spreading Covid-19 within their household.

New modeling was released today for Ontario (Canada) which showed that if we continued on our current rates we would hid 10k new cases a day by mid febuary. So because of this we're going back to a state of emergency with a stay at home order. 

image.jpg
WWW.CP24.COM

Ontario is implementing another provincewide state of emergency and cracking down on retail hours and gathering sizes as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths reach record highs.

So, Ontario's "state-of-emergency".  Changes from today (which have largely been in place since November):

1)  Reduction of outdoor activities max participants from 10 to 5

2)  Essential stores can now only be opened from 7AM to 8PM

3)  Minimal reduction in what construction projects are allowed

4)  Guidance for people to wear masks if they are within 2M of people outside

5)  Announcement that schools in some areas will remain closed until February 10th

So, basically not very much.  They're hoping that people will change their behaviour if they "re-brand" the "Provincewide Shutdown" as a "State-of-Emergency".  Idiots.

• Sad 2

Ironically, my quarantine weight gain probably nudges me into the 1c category on that alone, but currently LA County doesn't expect to be getting to 1c until late March. Which given how excruciatingly slow this has been in LA County probably means April at the earliest. :/

6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Ironically, my quarantine weight gain probably nudges me into the 1c category on that alone, but currently LA County doesn't expect to be getting to 1c until late March. Which given how excruciatingly slow this has been in LA County probably means April at the earliest. :/

I heard some chatter on Twitter today that they might be opening it up completely sooner than expected because so many vaccines are being wasted.

19 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

So, Ontario's "state-of-emergency".  Changes from today (which have largely been in place since November):

1)  Reduction of outdoor activities max participants from 10 to 5

2)  Essential stores can now only be opened from 7AM to 8PM

3)  Minimal reduction in what construction projects are allowed

4)  Guidance for people to wear masks if they are within 2M of people outside

5)  Announcement that schools in some areas will remain closed until February 10th

So, basically not very much.  They're hoping that people will change their behaviour if they "re-brand" the "Provincewide Shutdown" as a "State-of-Emergency".  Idiots.

Politicians will continue to lay the responsibility for choices on the public, and continue to ask "why aren't people following the rules?" There needs to be greater enforcement combined with much stricter rules. No one should be leaving their house at this point except for life-essential shopping (of which much can be ordered online, or for pickup) and if you can't work from home. People shopping for hockey sticks or lumber or anything else need to be fined (well, stopped by shutting down the stores).

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Politicians will continue to lay the responsibility for choices on the public, and continue to ask "why aren't people following the rules?" There needs to be greater enforcement combined with much stricter rules. No one should be leaving their house at this point except for life-essential shopping (of which much can be ordered online, or for pickup) and if you can't work from home. People shopping for hockey sticks or lumber or anything else need to be fined (well, stopped by shutting down the stores).

Agreed.  I can say that there is so much pandemic fatigue, that many are "ignoring the rules".  The amount of times I have heard "it's OK, we were wearing masks", or "I can't believe he got it, he was so good at wearing a mask" from folks is unbelievable.

In Ontario, the age-group of 20-29 is SIGNIFICANTLY overrepresented as a % of the population in the positive tests (30s, 40s and 50s less so, but still slightly more than average).  There are also some neighbourhoods that have signficantly higher infection rates (and have had them throughout the pandemic). 

Stores have been shut here since November -- and there has been very little impact.  In reality, shopping is not a high risk activity.  You're not in close proximity to anyone else for an extended period of time.

I have lots of theories on what activities are promoting spread of the virus, but no data to back them up.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

in ruby red Georgetown in southern Ohio (I lived here for a bit) only 42% of nursing home staff have chosen to be vaccinated. Sandusky is in a light blue area in northern ohio and is at 60%

absolutely coo-coo bananas

Yep, which is why the phases might not matter anymore in a month or two. People are insane.

25 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

in ruby red Georgetown in southern Ohio (I lived here for a bit) only 42% of nursing home staff have chosen to be vaccinated. Sandusky is in a light blue area in northern ohio and is at 60%

absolutely coo-coo bananas

I don’t know what the demographics are in Georgetown, but the nursing home staff I know of in central MA are overwhelmingly black so there are some extra challenges reaching out to that group.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Nationally

There really is no reason to place artificial restrictions when we have no system to actually achieve these ends. Just give priority of shipments to facilities that care for the highest risk people and let them work to get those folks taken care of.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Agreed.  I can say that there is so much pandemic fatigue, that many are "ignoring the rules".  The amount of times I have heard "it's OK, we were wearing masks", or "I can't believe he got it, he was so good at wearing a mask" from folks is unbelievable.

In Ontario, the age-group of 20-29 is SIGNIFICANTLY overrepresented as a % of the population in the positive tests (30s, 40s and 50s less so, but still slightly more than average).  There are also some neighbourhoods that have signficantly higher infection rates (and have had them throughout the pandemic). 

Stores have been shut here since November -- and there has been very little impact.  In reality, shopping is not a high risk activity.  You're not in close proximity to anyone else for an extended period of time.

I have lots of theories on what activities are promoting spread of the virus, but no data to back them up.

It seems the biggest spreader at this point is just people seeing their friends and family. My own person rules are:

1. Never be in a room with anyone without my mask, except for with my wife at home
  2. Never be in a room with anyone with my mask for more than 15 minutes (including shopping)

We've done all our grocery shopping since April with online delivery, and have only really needed to go into the pharmacy to get my wife's prescriptions (necessary for her MS). Oh, and she gets bloodwork once per month. But otherwise, I haven't been in a room with anyone but my wife since...August or September?