~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

2b6e053b-be61-43e7-b9b7-e34fa99aa52e-Gwe
WWW.JSONLINE.COM

Moore wrote in a Tweet that her quarantine period was over and she was medically cleared to travel. She announced six days ago that she had COVID-19.

I had missed this. Moore hadn't yet tested negative, but her doctor cleared her to go. I get it, but it's still pretty crazy!

• Guillotine 1

@Joe The author of this article has a PhD in microbiology.

GettyImages-1230360472-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Could cutting or delaying vaccine doses help—or make things worse?

What’s more, waning immune responses after one dose could conceivably make the coronavirus more dangerous. Some experts have noted that having the wildly circulating virus mingle with lots of people with weak immune responses could create the perfect selective pressure for the virus to adapt to evade those immune responses. Coronaviruses mutate over time naturally, and several variants—including those in the UK and South Africa—have already emerged that appear to spread more readily among people. So far, those variants do not appear to generate more severe or deadly disease. And they are not thought to evade immune responses from natural infections or the authorized vaccines. But, partially vaccinating a large number of people could lead to those nightmare scenarios, some experts fear.

With the uncertainties and risks, many experts are strongly opposed to fiddling with the vaccine plan. That includes the top infectious disease expert, Anthony Fauci. Last Friday, Fauci blasted the idea of the US following the UK’s lead in allowing a delayed second dose. “I would not be in favor of that,” Fauci said in an interview with CNN.

“The fact is we want to stick with what the science tells us, and the data that we have for both [vaccines] indicate you give a prime, followed by a boost in 21 days with Pfizer and 28 days with Moderna,” Fauci said. “And right now, that’s the way we’re going with it, and that’s the decision that is made.”

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

My boss won't put out the schedule for next week as he "hopes we'll be back open for indoor" dining.

Ooh, my sweet summer child. I'm gonna tell him a bunch of countries just went on total lockdown again.

What state? Oregon?

My dad's girlfriend got it. 

It was after Christmas, so I dodged that bullet. She went back into work on the 28th and some time early that week someone else in the office came in with it (who likely got it from their Christmas) and spread it around. Dad's gf started feeling bad on New Year's Eve and went to get tested the following day. She waited in line for 7 hours at the only testing center in my podunk hometown. Test came back positive for Covid AND the flu. 

She's miserable and has been sleeping essentially for 3 days. Dad got her some zinc and vitamin c and put it on the doorstep. He hasn't been in contact with her, but will be getting tested soon. 

On the flip side, my 94 year old grandfather will be getting his vaccine this week. 

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, CayceG said:

My dad's girlfriend got it. 

It was after Christmas, so I dodged that bullet. She went back into work on the 28th and some time early that week someone else in the office came in with it (who likely got it from their Christmas) and spread it around. Dad's gf started feeling bad on New Year's Eve and went to get tested the following day. She waited in line for 7 hours at the only testing center in my podunk hometown. Test came back positive for Covid AND the flu. 

She's miserable and has been sleeping essentially for 3 days. Dad got her some zinc and vitamin c and put it on the doorstep. He hasn't been in contact with her, but will be getting tested soon. 

On the flip side, my 94 year old grandfather will be getting his vaccine this week. 

It's fairly unlikely that she was exposed on the 28th and started showing strong symptoms two days later. However, she was also not that likely to have been contagious for too long before showing symptoms...but either way, you should assume you were exposed if you saw her on Xmas, and act accordingly.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

It's fairly unlikely that she was exposed on the 28th and started showing strong symptoms two days later. However, she was also not that likely to have been contagious for too long before showing symptoms...but either way, you should assume you were exposed if you saw her on Xmas, and act accordingly.

Isn't the window 10 days?

8 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

For being contagious? Or before showing symptoms? It seems that people typically begin to show symptoms 5 to 10 days after being exposed, and become contagious in roughly the same time frame (and are often contagious prior to showing symptoms).

Symptoms. 

The last time I saw her was on the 25th. So I'm on day 10 after being around her. 

I'll see if anyone in her Christmas gathering is sick. But like 5 people she works with have it too.

EDIT: No one she saw on Christmas is sick (with symptoms). 

• Like 1

We had an anti masker come to work tonight. It's not a huge deal, people have to sit outside socially distanced anyway, but we still ask people to wear masks as an asshole check. Anyway, this dude kind of flipped out on my manager, then came back with a mask. My manager was like "he's all yours," and I told her "YOU'VE ALREADY HAD COVID, YOU FUCKING TAKE HIM."

... I took him.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

We had an anti masker come to work tonight. It's not a huge deal, people have to sit outside socially distanced anyway, but we still ask people to wear masks as an asshole check. Anyway, this dude kind of flipped out on my manager, then came back with a mask. My manager was like "he's all yours," and I told her "YOU'VE ALREADY HAD COVID, YOU FUCKING TAKE HIM."

... I took him.

Congrats on the rona.

2 minutes ago, osxmatt said:

Congrats on the rona.

I mean, I'm wearing a mask, I'm basically living in hand sanitizer and soap, I'm not worried. I just thought it was funny that she pawned an anti masker off on me when she just came off quarantine like 2 weeks ago.

Sanity check: I know outdoors and six feet are not magic protective safeguards so I would probably want to limit this to an hour or something as an additional precaution, but it's not dumb to get together with someone outside your household without masks if you're sitting outdoors with 6 feet between you and keep it relatively short (e.g. the hour I mentioned), right? Just had a phone date (first date since the breakup I was talking about over the summer) that seemed like it went well and I wasn't really sure what else to suggest as a next thing.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

Sanity check: I know outdoors and six feet are not magic protective safeguards so I would probably want to limit this to an hour or something as an additional precaution, but it's not dumb to get together with someone outside your household without masks if you're sitting outdoors with 6 feet between you and keep it relatively short (e.g. the hour I mentioned), right? Just had a phone date (first date since the breakup I was talking about over the summer) that seemed like it went well and I wasn't really sure what else to suggest as a next thing.

I'd wear a mask regardless. But the rest sounds fine.