~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

So what does that mean exactly?

I'm not an expert but it seems that the vaccine can handle this particular mutation.

So it makes it more imperative that SARS-CoV2 actually be eliminated completely so we don't have further mutations that we need more vaccines for, if they can be found at all. A vaccine will help in this.

4 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Got my first dose this morning. Glad I handed off my report quickly because I was one the first four and that line got long quick. 

so far, no anaphylaxis or sprouting of a third arm or anything. So that’s good. 

Good? Do you know how useful a third arm would be?! 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

It means that the mutated strain in the UK is ~99% the same as what the vaccine was based around, so it should still have basically the same efficacy against it. Unless I'm misunderstanding.

SARS-CoV-2 is studded with so called "spike" proteins that it uses to enter human cells. These spikes are much of what makes it so contagious. The the BioNTech vaccine targets those spike proteins, building an immunity specifically to them. So it's not necessarily that the entire virus is 99% the same, it's just that one spike protein. As long as new strains still have that spike protein, the vaccine should still work, and that seems likely to be the case here.

The additional good news is that if we started to see a SARS-CoV-2 mutation that lacks the spike protein, it would be very likely to be far less contagious.

Just randomly felt like I was having trouble swallowing and slightly dizzy while sitting in the bath tub (trying to soak shoulder pain in wet heat). I was already worried about whether sleeping poorly and feeling slightly dazed was just from a lack of movement and sunshine so hopefully just a psychosomatic blip from worrying about the other stuff. :s

So I’m isolating (again) after my cousins husband might of been exposed to Covid again. I know it’s rare, very rare, to get it a 2nd time but it has happened. A coworker of his helped an elderly neighbour who fell outside his house. She helped him up, picked him up by the shoulders, cleaned his wounds and talked with him to make sure he was fine. A neighbour then comes out and yells to her that she better put her mask on because he (the elderly man) tested positive for Covid. So both were maskless when this happened, and she still went to work and didn’t inform anyone. Oh and that thing happened last Thursday or Friday and didn’t tell anyone until today. She works right beside him at work and told him this while, again, not wearing her mask (which she said oops too) So he’s pissed off because he was looking forward to his time off and spending the holidays with his wife. He’s now isolating in his room, just in case, and will be tested on Xmas eve. So I gotta stay back from work because I’ve been near him over the past few days myself. Again, I’m not too worried I might have it because I’m sure I had the mild version back in the beginning of April. My long hauler symptoms have been worse then 1st round (get days of extreme headaches that medicine/sleep won’t cure and out of no where nausea) Still, I’m not willing to take the chance and half the stores wouldn’t allow me to work their anyways. 

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, silentbob said:

So I’m isolating (again) after my cousins husband might of been exposed to Covid again. I know it’s rare, very rare, to get it a 2nd time but it has happened. A coworker of his helped an elderly neighbour who fell outside his house. She helped him up, picked him up by the shoulders, cleaned his wounds and talked with him to make sure he was fine. A neighbour then comes out and yells to her that she better put her mask on because he (the elderly man) tested positive for Covid. So both were maskless when this happened, and she still went to work and didn’t inform anyone. Oh and that thing happened last Thursday or Friday and didn’t tell anyone until today. She works right beside him at work and told him this while, again, not wearing her mask (which she said oops too) So he’s pissed off because he was looking forward to his time off and spending the holidays with his wife. He’s now isolating in his room, just in case, and will be tested on Xmas eve. So I gotta stay back from work because I’ve been near him over the past few days myself. Again, I’m not too worried I might have it because I’m sure I had the mild version back in the beginning of April. My long hauler symptoms have been worse then 1st round (get days of extreme headaches that medicine/sleep won’t cure and out of no where nausea) Still, I’m not willing to take the chance and half the stores wouldn’t allow me to work their anyways. 

Freaking hell man, that sucks to hear but if I had a coworker do that to me I would be screaming bloody murder at HR for that person to be fired over that. :angry:

I hope neither of you caught it and will test negative.

1 hour ago, silentbob said:

My wife has been testing people every weekend since March with about a half month break in October. She has counted over 100 people she knows she has personally tested that have come back positive out in town like they don't have shit. People are fucken idiots.

1 minute ago, Snaynay1 said:

My wife has been testing people every weekend since March with about a half month break in October. She has counted over 100 people she knows she has personally tested that have come back positive out in town like they don't have shit. People are fucken idiots.

All we needed to do to defeat this virus was not be selfish or stupid. So of course, we are fucked.

5 minutes ago, marioandsonic said:

N64 is awesome, fuck you.

I consider myself a huge Nintendo fan. Lord knows I used to take enough shit for it here back in the days of console wars, lol. But N64 is my least favorite of the Nintendo systems(excluding Virtual Boy). I dislike the controller, it lacks the variety of titles like PS1, there's no RPGs, and the system graphics are just ugly as fuck, even compared to 3D graphics of Saturn and PS1 at the time. A lot of the big hits, like Mario and Zelda, I didn't play until later remasters/ports. I had one as a kid, but it stayed in my brother's room, while the PS1 stayed in my room, so naturally PS1 was where I spent most of my time.

I do have 23 N64 games and an assortment of systems and controllers in different colors because I'm a moron and like collecting, though. :lol:

55 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I consider myself a huge Nintendo fan. Lord knows I used to take enough shit for it here back in the days of console wars, lol. But N64 is my least favorite of the Nintendo systems(excluding Virtual Boy). I dislike the controller, it lacks the variety of titles like PS1, there's no RPGs, and the system graphics are just ugly as fuck, even compared to 3D graphics of Saturn and PS1 at the time. A lot of the big hits, like Mario and Zelda, I didn't play until later remasters/ports. I had one as a kid, but it stayed in my brother's room, while the PS1 stayed in my room, so naturally PS1 was where I spent most of my time.

I do have 23 N64 games and an assortment of systems and controllers in different colors because I'm a moron and like collecting, though. :lol:

It’s really hard to argue with a lot of this. N64 and most of the top games are best left in my nostalgic memory bank. Lord knows many of those games don’t hold up well today or require remasters like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Star Fox 64 

1 hour ago, thewhyteboar said:

Ogre Battle 64!!!

I do own that one, but haven't ever played it. Dunno why, as I love Tactics Ogre.

34 minutes ago, Comet said:

It’s really hard to argue with a lot of this. N64 and most of the top games are best left in my nostalgic memory bank. Lord knows many of those games don’t hold up well today or require remasters like Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Banjo Kazooie, Star Fox 64 

I see people in these nostalgia groups on FB gush over Golden Eye. Like, yeah, it was revolutionary back then, but have you tried playing it now? It does not hold up. I get bashed so hard when I give my opinion.

13 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I do own that one, but haven't ever played it. Dunno why, as I love Tactics Ogre.

I see people in these nostalgia groups on FB gush over Golden Eye. Like, yeah, it was revolutionary back then, but have you tried playing it now? It does not hold up. I get bashed so hard when I give my opinion.

Tbh it was only revolutionary for consoles. 

I'd still play Goldeneye, PD, No Mercy, Winback, and others but emulation doesnt work well for N64 games. I don't find the graphics as bad as people make them out to be. PS1 graphics are pretty cringe. In fairness I wouldn't play say Mario Tennis or Smash Bros. Maybe Smash Bros for nostalgia but Ultimate is way better of course.