~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

45 minutes ago, Jason said:

Being introverted means that being around people tires you out, not that you dislike being around people. I'm fine just going work-gym-home and not doing anything during the week, it would actively drive me crazy doing things every day, but getting stuck hanging out by myself on the weekend is depressing.

It sounds like you actually dislike being around people.

Like i said, many people think they're introverted when they are not, the weekend is recharging, you being to tired to go out during the week is just normal.  When work was shut down and i was home every day, that was definitely harder.

17 minutes ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Introverted doesn’t mean you hate people. I’m introverted as fuck, but even I’m tired of not going much of anywhere. I miss occasional dates with small groups of friends. Only been out with friends twice all year and it sucks. 

Correct. A misanthorpe hates people. 

I am even starting to feel it. Want to hang out with my friends. I want to go outside. I had to go get some burner ecigs to hold me over and while it was really cold. I would have stayed outside for like an hour. Just getting tired of lock down.

Also thinking of canceling my gym membership and turning my basement or my grandma's old room into a small gym. My initial plan for the basement was a gaming room.

1 minute ago, Joe said:

Yeah I don't get how the pandemic got that out of control on them. They are doing worse now than in April.

When I was last out there in late September I was legit shocked when I went to Santa Monica and saw how many people were out and about at the third street promenade. Combine that Republican Orange county fighting tooth and nail against every Covid measure and this is what you get. A lot of factors into why Cali is doing so bad.

2 minutes ago, Joe said:

New Jersey is doing astonishingly well all things considered (we aren't in lockdown). I wonder what the difference is. Not rhetorical, I seriously wonder.

Weather... and Jersey got hit hard early and saw the immediate consequences of the pandemic. The shit is not theoretical here like it is everywhere else... Cali is at that point now.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

New Jersey is doing astonishingly well all things considered (we aren't in lockdown). I wonder what the difference is. Not rhetorical, I seriously wonder.

This might have a big portion of why:

"Partisan differences in physical distancing are linked to health outcomes during the COVID-19 pandemic | Nature Human Behaviour"

41562_2020_977_Fig1_HTML.png
WWW.NATURE.COM

Gollwitzer et al. use smartphone mobility tracking to show that US county support for Trump in 2016 was associated with a lower reduction in mobility in March–May 2020, which in turn was...

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Weather... and Jersey got hit hard early and saw the immediate consequences of the pandemic. The shit is not theoretical here like it is everywhere else... Cali is at that point now.

I suppose you're right, but cases and hospitalizations had been increasing fairly steadily over the past couple months. Murphy made a couple of conservative rule changes and cases have plateaued all of a sudden. We even had a reduction in total hospitalizations today for the first time in a long while!

Just now, Joe said:

I suppose you're right, but cases and hospitalizations had been increasing fairly steadily over the past couple months. Murphy made a couple of conservative rule changes and cases have plateaued all of a sudden. We even had a reduction in total hospitalizations today for the first time in a long while!

Well its also gotten colder here... people just aren't out and about like they used to be a few weeks ago. When people stay home, infection slows. Its that simple. Last time I was in California people were OUT. It was shocking to see to be honest.

4 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

This might have a big portion of why:

"Partisan differences in physical distancing are linked to health outcomes during the COVID-19 pandemic | Nature Human Behaviour"

41562_2020_977_Fig1_HTML.png
WWW.NATURE.COM

Gollwitzer et al. use smartphone mobility tracking to show that US county support for Trump in 2016 was associated with a lower reduction in mobility in March–May 2020, which in turn was...

2020_election_map_2x.png

XKCD's hover text is a good reminder. Just because California or Massachusetts are solidly blue means nothing when California has more Trump voters than Texas and Massachusetts has more Trump voters than Mississippi. This being a highly partisan issue means it doesn't really respect the overall politics of each state.

32 minutes ago, Joe said:

By the way if this was posted already, I apologize but I just found this NYTimes tool:

covid-hospitals-near-you-promo-160804535
WWW.NYTIMES.COM

See how many Covid-19 patients are being treated, and how many I.C.U. beds remain available, at individual U.S. hospitals.

Good shit.

Crazy how different the hospitals are here. MCV downtown is at 93%, but the hospital my daughter was born at, in a relatively wealthy suburb, is at 63%

If true, this is fucking insulting to everyone who has actually put their lives on the line to help others. The hoover institution has as senior fellow Scott Atlas who is in large part responsible for our horrendous covid response, and the named Richard epstein, well:

Epstein, a professor at New York University School of Law, published the article on the Web site of the Hoover Institution, on March 16th. In it, he questioned the World Health Organization’s decision to declare the coronavirus outbreak a pandemic, said that “public officials have gone overboard,” and suggested that about five hundred people would die from covid-19 in the U.S. Epstein later updated his estimate to five thousand, saying that the previous number had been an error. 

"The Contrarian Coronavirus Theory That Informed the Trump Administration | The New Yorker" https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration/amp

Fuck every single one of these assholes. They deserve the live virus not the vaccine. 

• Guillotine 2

Holy shit is even worse than I thought

Stanford Medicine residents who work in close contact with COVID-19 patients were left out of the first wave of staff members for the new Pfizer vaccine. In their place were higher-ranking doctors who carry a lower risk of patient transmission, according to interviews with six residents and two other staff members and e-mail communications obtained by ProPublica.

“Residents are patient-facing, we’re the ones who have been asked to intubate, yet some attendings who have been face-timing us from home are being vaccinated before us,” said Dr. Sarah Johnson, a third-year OB-GYN resident who has delivered babies from COVID-positive patients during the pandemic. “This is the final straw to say, ‘We don’t actually care about you.’”

• Guillotine 2

ELQLVZSCCMI6XDNYHFO63KVAGY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The coronavirus variant is believed to spread faster, but does not appear more deadly or resistant to vaccines.

The new strain detected in the UK (and suspected of spreading in Europe) is believed to be up to 70% more contagious than the existing strain, but there is no evidence it is more dangerous, or that the vaccines will not work against it.

2 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:
ELQLVZSCCMI6XDNYHFO63KVAGY.jpg&w=1440
WWW.WASHINGTONPOST.COM

The coronavirus variant is believed to spread faster, but does not appear more deadly or resistant to vaccines.

The new strain detected in the UK (and suspected of spreading in Europe) is believed to be up to 70% more contagious than the existing strain, but there is no evidence it is more dangerous, or that the vaccines will not work against it.

As long as it uses the same spike protein the vaccine should still work against it.