~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

This vaccine is going to be scrutinized and blasted for safety more than any other.  People are already citing the FDA study of Pfizer's as to a reason to never get it, because the placebo group showed lower adverse effects.  

On 12/13/2020 at 11:18 AM, CitizenVectron said:

Something worth mentioning (for all the people saying that restrictions are causing suicides, why aren't people talking about it, etc):

image.jpg
CALGARY.CTVNEWS.CA

While the COVID-19 pandemic, along with many of the other issues facing Albertans this year, has taken a serious toll on the mental health of many people, the province's suicide...

Suicides are down in Canada this year, and apparently in Europe as well. The one place they are up is the USA. I have no proof, but I'd guess the cause is the difference in financial support provided by the government. It can't be the lock downs themselves since those have generally been stronger in Canada and EU, as well.

23 hours ago, osxmatt said:

I believe this is a common misconception. I looked in to it pretty extensively a month back, and I couldn't find any data that show's suicides are up this year.

However, there is a lot of data showing *thoughts* of suicide are up considerably, along with gun purchases, and use of drug and alcohol.

19 hours ago, Chollowa said:

I know if the US the "OPEN EVERYTHING NOW" camp loved to yell about how closing down would lead to more suicides. I'm sure seeing that thought amplified daily in the news and by authority figures drove up suicide numbers. 

The right-wing propaganda about lockdowns leading to a loss of freedom, the slippery slope logic, has to cause even more undue anxiety.

The headlines about corporate wealth growing to its largest in history also raises red flags on the right, but not the right ones.  Instead of conservatives questioning the fundamental nature of our economic structure, they see the tagline of "billionaires get richer" and counter with "I MUST go out and support my local small businesses", putting a bigger strain on the stay-at-home mandate.

1200x800.jpg
WWW.BLOOMBERG.COM

A White House official who fell ill with Covid-19 in September is recovering after three months in the hospital, though he lost his right foot and lower leg in his battle against the virus, according to a friend.

A White House official who fell ill with Covid-19 in September is recovering after three months in the hospital, though he lost his right foot and lower leg in his battle against the virus, according to a friend.

Crede Bailey, the director of the White House security office, was the most severely ill among dozens of Covid-19 cases known to be connected to the White House. Bailey’s family has asked the White House not to publicize his condition, and President Donald Trump has never publicly acknowledged his illness.

• Sad 1

So one in every three tests in my county are positives at this point. I was thinking this was from undertesting but seeing the line for the community drive-thru tests makes me think otherwise and we are experiencing our Thanksgiving surge. Which to that point, 3 people that are part of our game night family went to every event their family put on, and some that their friends put on, and caught it and are bitching that they are losing time at work. I love them to death but told them that it was their own stupidity that resulted in this. 

• Sad 1

Don't need the vaccine if everyone's already dead. Big brain moves.

But seriously, 16.6  million covid cases in the United States, and that's considering you couldn't get a test until like June unless you were bleeding from your eyeballs. So you'd have to think at there's been at least twice as many cases as the reported number, which puts us at around 10% of the population already having it. However, the CDC did a study in July that found that 5-7% of people had already been infected even then.

On 12/12/2020 at 7:06 AM, Spork3245 said:

Gym just now:

Me: how many sets do you have left?

Guy: huh?

Me: (a bit louder because mask) how many sets do you have left?

Guy: huh? *starts to take mask off*
Me: WHOA! Keep your mask on!!!

Guy: *startled* well, I couldn’t hear you

Me: how would taking your mask off help you hear me?

Guy: *blank and confused stare*
Me: you know what? Never mind. *walks away*

We are doomed.

I'm not sure whether to use the laugh or cry emoji.

77e58da7-a0ca-4a2c-92fb-025aab9b2b18-AP2
WWW.TENNESSEAN.COM

Tennessee expects to receive 56,000 doses of Pfizer's two-dose coronavirus vaccine in an initial shipment arriving this week.

We got our first ~1,000 vaccine doses here in Tennessee.... and promptly put them on a shelf. Because they are apparently the 'backup supply.' The main supply won't arrive for another two days. 

This is fucking insane. 

2 minutes ago, CayceG said:
WWW.TENNESSEAN.COM

Tennessee expects to receive 56,000 doses of Pfizer's two-dose coronavirus vaccine in an initial shipment arriving this week.

We got our first ~1,000 vaccine doses here in Tennessee.... and promptly put them on a shelf. Because they are apparently the 'backup supply.' The main supply won't arrive for another two days. 

This is fucking insane. 

7TqtbzR.gif

Backup supply for what? In case of emergency? You need to wait until a bunch of people already have it in a certain community before you start dishing it out? pretty sure we're past that point, brothers.

6 minutes ago, CayceG said:
WWW.TENNESSEAN.COM

This is fucking insane. 

Backup vaccine?   It's not a treatment for the disease, it's a fucking preventative...  Backup for what?  In case a few thousand people don't get it later?  Maybe I'm an idiot but this is hurting my brain.

15 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Don't need the vaccine if everyone's already dead. Big brain moves.

But seriously, 16.6  million covid cases in the United States, and that's considering you couldn't get a test until like June unless you were bleeding from your eyeballs. So you'd have to think at there's been at least twice as many cases as the reported number, which puts us at around 10% of the population already having it. However, the CDC did a study in July that found that 5-7% of people had already been infected even then.

We'll probably have debates for years about excess deaths and other indirect data that will have the presumed Covid deaths significantly higher than the 300,000 we have directly recorded so far.

Even as a habitual pessimist, months into this thing I never thought we'd come near the 1918 Flu numbers, but with what we have, what we are projected to have over the next 2-3 months, and what is likely to be estimations upwards after the dust has settled we are probably going to be very close to those numbers....

Just an unimaginable failure on the part of society and politicians.

I have been wondering lately about the collective trauma the country has had and, largely because of Trump, how little we have processed it. Half the country can't even seem to acknowledge its existence.

Like, this is going to be one of those historical events that shapes our lives for a generation.

How America reacted to Vietnam and 58,000 combat deaths over the span of years shaped the country for what, two decades?

I have read some historical accounts that say the 1918 Flu is talked about relatively little in history because it was such a traumatizing event to the country as a whole it was almost like a collective form repressing a memory after it was over.

I started thinking about this when my mom said it will be nice to have someone like Biden in the White House and that he should memorialize the dead at the inauguration or soon after, and I asked, "How do you even do that?".

Not that Biden shouldn't try, but at what point is a tragedy too great for words in a speech? We could potentially have half a million dead by the time he is sworn in....

14 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

Backup vaccine?   It's not a treatment for the disease, it's a fucking preventative...  Backup for what?  In case a few thousand people don't get it later?  Maybe I'm an idiot but this is hurting my brain.

Backup supply for when the main supply runs out. 

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

I read this morning that the US only plans to vaccinate around 100 million people by the end of 2021, does anyone have any sources to back this up or refute it? That seems...low, considering Canada anticipates to have everyone inoculated by the end of Q3. I read it was something to do with orders and contracts, but I can't find anything concrete.

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

I read this morning that the US only plans to vaccinate around 100 million people by the end of 2021, does anyone have any sources to back this up or refute it? That seems...low, considering Canada anticipates to have everyone inoculated by the end of Q3. I read it was something to do with orders and contracts, but I can't find anything concrete.

That’s definitely not true. Biden is pledging to vaccinate 100 million in his first 100 days alone.

• Thanks 1

Welp, Ontario (Canada) hit a new record of 2,275 new cases today and our hospitalization sits at 921 total which is pretty bad. On top of it my condo gave out a letter yesterday (that was made on the 10th, wtf 4 days later they distribute it?) that there is 1 positive case in the building. -.- While 1 isn't bad it is concerning since a majority of the people in my building are retirees and seniors who bought their units when the condo was built 35+ years ago. At 37 I'm considered young for the building. =/

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Fizzzzle said:

I just read that ambulances are waiting 4 hours in Los Angeles to drop patients off. Orange County has no more ICU beds left, LA county only has like 50-something

That is my biggest fear right now, my wife or I just slipping and falling on the sidewalk or something and needing emergency services and not being able to receive them.

48 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

7TqtbzR.gif

Backup supply for what? In case of emergency? You need to wait until a bunch of people already have it in a certain community before you start dishing it out? pretty sure we're past that point, brothers.

41 minutes ago, finaljedi said:

26 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Backup supply for when the main supply runs out. 

IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. 

I’m assuming it’s “back-up” for if something happens with their shipments of future doses for the second injection. That’s the only possible way it even kinda makes sense... and even then, not really. :p 

We're absolutely going to fuck up distribution

1) the trump administration is starting it

2) it will happen during the transition

3) we have terrible, rotten institutions from the feds to the states to localities that have been gutted over the years due to neoliberal austerity even before Trump, and states will be doing this as cheaply as possible so as to not cut as much from other essential services

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

I believe that was the total amount originally agreed to with Pfizer/Moderna (200M doses) by then end of Q1-- I've heard they have bought an additional 100M doses in Q2 from Moderna since then.  So total of 150M people vaccinated by end of Q2 2021.

If other vaccines (such as J&J) have positive Phase 3 trials -- then that number could go up.

• Thanks 1

Looks like the Moderna vaccine will be approved and shipped in the next few weeks in Canada: 

Assuming they have similar numbers as the Pfizer vaccine, that should allow us to get around 20% of the pop vaccinated by the end of Q1, the finish by the end of Q3. There are a few other vaccines that could be approved and used here, but I believe just the Pfizer and Moderna contracts alone will cover 100% vaccination by Q4.

Also some good news from the Moderna trials: There was some question as to whether or not the vaccine simply protects the recipient, or whether or not it also prevents transmission. It appears it does:

I mean that makes sense since a vaccine simply teaches the body to detect and destroy the virus. If the immune system is killing the virus enough to prevent illness, it should also be preventing it from reproducing enough to shed to other people. But nice to have some data supporting that.