~*Official #COVID-19 Thread of Doom*~ Revenge of Omicron Prime

Gym just now:

Me: how many sets do you have left?

Guy: huh?

Me: (a bit louder because mask) how many sets do you have left?

Guy: huh? *starts to take mask off*
Me: WHOA! Keep your mask on!!!

Guy: *startled* well, I couldn’t hear you

Me: how would taking your mask off help you hear me?

Guy: *blank and confused stare*
Me: you know what? Never mind. *walks away*

We are doomed.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 6

New government ad in Alberta: Nobody loves a house party more than COVID

GLOBALNEWS.CA

There's nothing that COVID-19 loves more than house parties and family gatherings. That's the message behind a new Alberta ad campaign launched Friday.

6 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

I can feel Covid getting closer and closer now around me as winter settles in.

I feel like eventually I'm gonna end up getting it at the grocery store, walking my dogs, or some random moment like checking my mail. 

That's what happened to our house. So, unfortunately I think you're right :/

Thread on why giving out one dose to 2x as many isn't as great an idea as some hope (giving out only one to reach person until everyone has it, then circling back for a second in 6 months or a year). Basically, because none of the studies included a placebo group for the second dose (after receiving the first), we don't have any data on a single dose alone after 30 days. Also, while the 50% number keeps getting thrown around, that's in the middle of the expected effectiveness range; the results could actually be as low as mid-twenties.

Something worth mentioning (for all the people saying that restrictions are causing suicides, why aren't people talking about it, etc):

image.jpg
CALGARY.CTVNEWS.CA

While the COVID-19 pandemic, along with many of the other issues facing Albertans this year, has taken a serious toll on the mental health of many people, the province's suicide...

Suicides are down in Canada this year, and apparently in Europe as well. The one place they are up is the USA. I have no proof, but I'd guess the cause is the difference in financial support provided by the government. It can't be the lock downs themselves since those have generally been stronger in Canada and EU, as well.

56 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Imagine going back a year and revealing just this tweet as the future:

I think about this all the time. It’s crazy how almost desensitized we have come to this stuff. If you showed me that tweet a year ago, I would have had such a severe panic attack I might have finished in the hospital.

vaccine-vial-and-needle.jpg
WWW.CBC.CA

People who are vaccinated to protect themselves against COVID-19 and experience an adverse event after the immunization will be eligible for compensation through the program...

If you have an adverse effect due to the vaccine, you will be compensated (though hopefully incidents remain low).

3 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Something worth mentioning (for all the people saying that restrictions are causing suicides, why aren't people talking about it, etc):

image.jpg
CALGARY.CTVNEWS.CA

While the COVID-19 pandemic, along with many of the other issues facing Albertans this year, has taken a serious toll on the mental health of many people, the province's suicide...

Suicides are down in Canada this year, and apparently in Europe as well. The one place they are up is the USA. I have no proof, but I'd guess the cause is the difference in financial support provided by the government. It can't be the lock downs themselves since those have generally been stronger in Canada and EU, as well.

I believe this is a common misconception. I looked in to it pretty extensively a month back, and I couldn't find any data that show's suicides are up this year.

However, there is a lot of data showing *thoughts* of suicide are up considerably, along with gun purchases, and use of drug and alcohol.

White House staff members who work in close quarters with President Trump have been told they are scheduled to receive injections of the coronavirus vaccine soon, at a time when the first doses of the vaccine are being distributed only to high-risk health care workers, according to two sources familiar with the distribution plans.

Anyone who receives a vaccine in the next three months who isn't a healthcare worker or long-term care resident should be executed.

• Guillotine 3

7 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

image.jpg
CALGARY.CTVNEWS.CA

I know if the US the "OPEN EVERYTHING NOW" camp loved to yell about how closing down would lead to more suicides. I'm sure seeing that thought amplified daily in the news and by authority figures drove up suicide numbers. 

I was super fucked up on Friday and Saturday. Couldn't do shit. My taste came back when I first felt sicker but everything tastes wrong and bad. There is this smell I call the sick smell and everything tastes like the sick or has a strong after taste of the sick. Toothpaste tastes and smells so much like the sick. It's so bad I almost considered licking soap. On top of that my sinuses are snap crackling and popping so loudly. I recorded a video where you can hear them pop and crackle

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I was super fucked up on Friday and Saturday. Couldn't do shit. My taste came back when I first felt sicker but everything tastes wrong and bad. There is this smell I call the sick smell and everything tastes like the sick or has a strong after taste of the sick. Toothpaste tastes and smells so much like the sick. It's so bad I almost considered licking soap. On top of that my sinuses are snap crackling and popping so loudly. I recorded a video where you can hear them pop and crackle

That sounds awful man. Hope you feel better soon.

8 hours ago, CitizenVectron said:

Anyone who receives a vaccine in the next three months who isn't a healthcare worker or long-term care resident should be executed.

Vaccinated the super-spreaders is probably a good idea. These chuckle-fucks can't go more than a day without infecting someone, so might as well vaccinate them. 

16 hours ago, Bacon said:

I know I've said this before, but I remember when swine flu fucked up my taste buds for a while. Everything tasted kind of like iron for months, especially sweet things. I sometimes wonder if they ever actually went back to "normal" or if I just got used to it. That's when I started getting into really spicy food and stopped eating candy.

Regardless, that sucks. I hope you feel better soon.